• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs Fans Will Have to Take Their Medicine If They Want to Stay Among the Big Boys

Re: Spurs Fans Will Have to Take Their Medicine If They Want to Stay Among the Big Bo

Is it not amongst in this case?

Re: Spurs Fans Will Have to Take Their Medicine If They Want to Stay Among the Big Bo

Poor article

- We didn't spend far less on incomings than Bale brought in
- Levy sold his 100 year old family business (Blue Inc) to focus his life on us
- He's one of the 2 or 3 longest standing owners in the league
- The only way to make serious money out of owning a club is asset stripping. Investment never pays back
- No attempt to link the 6-7 years of not spending with the stadium build (remembering ENIC invested significant funds before the stadium has announced in 2008)
- Liverpool's squad is no better than ours, they are just better coached (for now)

Ah was never really sure but a little research does suggest that. Interesting, among just sounds a bit wrong in my mind with that sentence

2013/2014

IN

Paulinho £17,000,000
Nacer Chadli £7,000,000
Roberto Soldado £25,800,000
Etienne Capoue £8,600,000
Christian Eriksen £11,000,000
Erik Lamela £25,800,000
Vlad Chiriches £8,500,000

Total £103,700,000

OUT

Steven Caulker £8,000,000
Tom Huddleston £5,250,000
Clint Dempsey £5,800,000
Scott Parker £2,000,000
Gareth Bale £85,300,000
Massimo Luongo £400,000
Simon Dawkins £500,000
Adam Smith £250,000
Jermain Defoe £6,000,000

Total £113,500,000

-£9,800,000

He sold his business, made money, then got into another business. Thats what entrepreneurs do. If and when its advantageous to do it again, he will. Meanwhile he pays himself £2m a year. All of which is fair enough.

Longest standing - so what?

Investment never pays back? Says who? Sugar made plenty by buying and selling THFC.

The investment all along has been calculated and judicious, never extravagant or risky. Early on there were bigger net spends but there was no stadium to worry about and they were in the process of elevating the team into top four contenders.

As for the squads - you might be right. Hope so.

As i see it under levy he appears to have 2/3 stage plan. The first stage was to make us competitive so he invested heavily in players for the first 8 season. Roughly £133m net was spent on transfer in the first 8 seasons. This stage obviously had to come first as a team doing well can bring in more sponsorship etc etc... We are now in the second stage of the plan where he is using the money already invested in players to revamp the squad as and where so the net transfer spend is minimal. The second stage has concentrated on the infrastructure of the club so far we have a world class training facility and we are so close to a new ground. Although some will joke about how long we have been waiting. Financially in the project we are about half way there having brought all the land and even built some assets(sainsburys & the college). i'd say we are 2/3rds of the way through this stage financially. I said it was 2/3 stages that because i'd assume that after getting into a new stadium and therefore our revenues increasing Levy will be looking to use that to challenge at the top of the league and say on an equal measure with Arsenal(champs money aside).

I don't get how the magical new stadium will solve our problems when we don't sell out the current one. I really don't.

Let's get the new stadium, and then we can sign everyone on whatever wages we fancy!!

:-k

Spurs have a limited budget like 18 of the 20 teams in the league. Their budgets are all different and Spurs cut the cloth accordingly. The buy low and sell high model is pursued successfully by plenty of teams, Benfica and Porto most prominently, and Dortmund I suppose as well. Varying degrees of success but still doing pretty well.

Spurs do very well for a club of their 'size' - ie a non-CL side without an active sugardaddy. It is not obvious that the new stadium is affecting transfers.

Spurs spend around 4-5m less than they make, so what? Players like Stambouli are undervalued according to the Montpellier president, players like Welbeck are massively overvalued. Markets like the Dutch, German and French leagues are full of decent players that do not command the same price tags as similar players in the English, Italian and top of the Spanish leagues.

I don't get how the magical new stadium will solve our problems when we don't sell out the current one. I really don't.

Let's get the new stadium, and then we can sign everyone on whatever wages we fancy!!

:-k

Do we not? I'm under the impression we near-as-dammit do. Capacity 36,247, PL average last season 35,808. Okay so about 450 empty seats on average but you need to allow for segregation, poor take-up from some visiting sides and that pretty much all our top games would sell out twice over if the capacity was available.

Even neutrals agree our fanbase is right up there with the big boys so the chances are many thousands more would show up once our spanking new stadium is up and running.

Do we not? I'm under the impression we near-as-dammit do. Capacity 36,247, PL average last season 35,808. Okay so about 450 empty seats on average but you need to allow for segregation, poor take-up from some visiting sides and that pretty much all our top games would sell out twice over if the capacity was available.

Even neutrals agree our fanbase is right up there with the big boys so the chances are many thousands more would show up once our spanking new stadium is up and running.

This, and if the stadium was bigger, you would have some chance of cheaper seats.

The other issue, the larger stadium is not about the seats, it's about more corporate facilities.

As i see it under levy he appears to have 2/3 stage plan. The first stage was to make us competitive so he invested heavily in players for the first 8 season. Roughly £133m net was spent on transfer in the first 8 seasons. This stage obviously had to come first as a team doing well can bring in more sponsorship etc etc... We are now in the second stage of the plan where he is using the money already invested in players to revamp the squad as and where so the net transfer spend is minimal. The second stage has concentrated on the infrastructure of the club so far we have a world class training facility and we are so close to a new ground. Although some will joke about how long we have been waiting. Financially in the project we are about half way there having brought all the land and even built some assets(sainsburys & the college). i'd say we are 2/3rds of the way through this stage financially. I said it was 2/3 stages that because i'd assume that after getting into a new stadium and therefore our revenues increasing Levy will be looking to use that to challenge at the top of the league and say on an equal measure with Arsenal(champs money aside).

I get the feeling when all is done, its going to be like the Dartford Tunnel.. charge customers to use it.. when its paid for still charge them but say its for the up keep. lol

I'd love to know how many tunnels the users should have built by now.

Ultimately this whole journey is about turning a small outlay for the club to a billion pound asset with as little of there own money as they can. Along the way if they win a trophy great, but for them, there playing champions league every season for the past 11-12 years since there takeover, and when they sell its the year they win the Champions League.

What Levy has demonstrated is for our club certainly is that we don't need a rich benefactor at the helm. I would love the fans to all walk out of the club in the knowledge we could buy the club amongst us and bring in the likes of the Levy to run the club and then no ones gets the benefit of the value of the club. It becomes football first.. then.

I keep saying it, nothing different between the Glazers and Levy.. both milking the club business to give them a juicy nest egg at the end of there champions league journeys.

Last edited:

I wonder what financial state we would be in if we had been given the olympic stadium rather than west ham

I wonder what financial state we would be in if we had been given the olympic stadium rather than west ham

id be in a much better financial state, i know that much, as i wouldn't have to be shelling out for a season ticket every year

All I'm hoping for with the new stadium is cheaper seats. I don't see it catapulting us in to the elite. Arsenal are way ahead already and they are treading water in the top 4. Utd, City and Chelsea have mad money and Liverpool are much bigger than us globallly, as they are historically a much bigger side than us.

I just dream that we can do a Dortmund.

All I'm hoping for with the new stadium is cheaper seats. I don't see it catapulting us in to the elite. Arsenal are way ahead already and they are treading water in the top 4. Utd, City and Chelsea have mad money and Liverpool are much bigger than us globallly, as they are historically a much bigger side than us.

I just dream that we can do a Dortmund.

Highly unlikely, but probably more seats at the current lowest prices and hopefully less West stand priced seats.

I get the feeling when all is done, its going to be like the Dartford Tunnel.. charge customers to use it.. when its paid for still charge them but say its for the up keep. lol

I'd love to know how many tunnels the users should have built by now.

Ultimately this whole journey is about turning a small outlay for the club to a billion pound asset with as little of there own money as they can. Along the way if they win a trophy great, but for them, there playing champions league every season for the past 11-12 years since there takeover, and when they sell its the year they win the Champions League.

What Levy has demonstrated is for our club certainly is that we don't need a rich benefactor at the helm. I would love the fans to all walk out of the club in the knowledge we could buy the club amongst us and bring in the likes of the Levy to run the club and then no ones gets the benefit of the value of the club. It becomes football first.. then.

I keep saying it, nothing different between the Glazers and Levy.. both milking the club business to give them a juicy nest egg at the end of there champions league journeys.

There is a massive difference between them.

Levy and Lewis bought the club with their own money, invested more of their own money to improve the first team and continue to re-invest whatever money we make into the club.

The Glazers bought a money printing machine with somebody else's money and continue to drain the club of much needed resources to pay it back. Last I saw was £70 million a year. In interest alone.

There is a massive difference between them.

Levy and Lewis bought the club with their own money, invested more of their own money to improve the first team and continue to re-invest whatever money we make into the club.

The Glazers bought a money printing machine with somebody else's money and continue to drain the club of much needed resources to pay it back. Last I saw was £70 million a year. In interest alone.

Iirc they didn't actually buy it with their money. They actually borrowed the money of Alan Sugar. Not sure how it was paid back either but I'd guess via club profits. It's not an unusual way to do business and it's effective in this market.

Where the Glazers were different I believe was they said it was their money and then effectively mortgaged the club. That's awful IMO and has crippled them financially compared to where they could be... And the Gkazers consistently skim big money off the top for their own pockets

Back