• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

The great thing is that With Capoue in Midfield and Dier at Right back we have 4 Centre backs in the defence at set pieces, add into that Ade and Nacer and we have a tall team who should do well at set peices both defending and attacking. Although today I thought Caulker could have had 2 goals.

With Sandro going though, cant help but feel we REALLY need Schneiderlin. If Capoue gets injured...

Capoue has completed 170 passes this season, more than any other player in the Premier League.

Again looking distinctly like he did at the start of last season instead of how he looked as the season progressed and regressed for him and the team.

With Sandro going though, cant help but feel we REALLY need Schneiderlin. If Capoue gets injured...

Agreed. I would be very sad if Sandro leaves us, but it could be that Capoue is a better fit under Poch.

Another who started off very well last season (as mentioned in the Rose thread) and was then maligned by some.

Enjoyed what I saw today and it's brilliant when players look like they've been written off, only to come back stronger.

Never thought I'd see a pairing of EC and Bentaleb start in the middle for us.

Well done big guy.

Again looking distinctly like he did at the start of last season instead of how he looked as the season progressed and regressed for him and the team.

Agreed. I would be very sad if Sandro leaves us, but it could be that Capoue is a better fit under Poch.

IMHO, today is not the day to judge the performance of our defensive midfielders seeing that QPR were so poor in attack. I am interested to see how Capoue in particular, performs against Liverpool's attack before I judge how effective he will be this season. My concerns about him are against the better, quicker passing teams where his lack of mobility can be a problem. Hopefully he will do well.

IMHO, today is not the day to judge the performance of our defensive midfielders seeing that QPR were so poor in attack. I am interested to see how Capoue in particular, performs against Liverpool's attack before I judge how effective he will be this season. My concerns about him are against the better, quicker passing teams where his lack of mobility can be a problem. Hopefully he will do well.

I agree with the bolded bit; whilst today was encouraging, it will be games like against Liverpool next week or away at the ArseAnal where we will REALLY see how good the likes of Capoue are.
Capoue seems like the type that aims to spread play. This is good and vital; but please, PLEASE don't sell Sandro!! He might be an even better tackler than Capoue (but minus the ability to pass quite as well).

Imagine in Capoue is injured next week?!

capoue deserves a shout out for 14 out of 48 of the passes that led to the goal

SevereScrawnyIbadanmalimbe.gif

Bv4ZOUVIEAErLzx.jpg

Well, part of the problem last season was that our "defensive midfielders" did not contribute enough on the ball with passing, buildup play etc. Capoue's 123 passes with a 90% accuracy is well worth a mention in that context even though the opposition was dreadful.

Of course defensively the entire team, including defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders, striker, defender and goalkeeper will be up against a completely different test against Liverpool.

Impressive!

image4.jpg

Not sure this is really a fair representation on Fernando and Gerrard. Both of them have at least faced competetive opposition.

Capoue and Matic? That's a fairer comparison. Matic has faced burnley and Leicester, I'd say west ham and QPR are the more difficult duo.

Last edited:
Glad he's had time to show what he can do. Was great before his injury last season, a lot of people seemed to forget that though.

It seems like opinion on Capoue can swing between him being the DM that can pick a pass/keep things ticking over to being a big lump who has a very slow turning circle (and who is easily nullified with good pace movement and poor in the air).

So right now, do people think Etienne Capoue has shown himself to be an upgrade on some of the other recent CMs that have left?

I'm particularly thinking about Huddlestone and Livermore.

Discuss

It seems like opinion on Capoue can swing between him being the DM that can pick a pass/keep things ticking over to being a big lump who has a very slow turning circle (and who is easily nullified with good pace movement and poor in the air).

So right now, do people think Etienne Capoue has shown himself to be an upgrade on some of the other recent CMs that have left?

I'm particularly thinking about Huddlestone and Livermore.

Discuss

Unfortunately i'm not a fan. I just dont like the way he ambles around, he's so slow. I thought Sandro was a far better player who got around the pitch more, brought a higher intensity and harassed the opposition into mistakes. Having seen Stambouli make a solid debut last week i'd pick him ahead of Capoue every day of the week. Capoue doesnt really put his foot in and range of passing is very limited. Seems to moan alot on sunday aswell.

I'd like to see Stambouli and Dembele ahead of him in a more free role. Or Stambouli and then Eriksen next to him playing the more Modric role which we've never replaced.

The inverted wingers was causing us problems on thursday and sunday, everything ended up coming down the middle again, very like the AVB days so we need to learn the new poch formation fast and get the full backs pushed on.

From what I have seen of Capoue his game centres on him taking a 10 yard pass off of one of our centre halves and then making a 10 yard pass to our other centre half. Then stand there for a few seconds as our centre half passes it to the right back, ready to receive a 15 yard pass from that right back and then, when this happens, make a 15 yard pass out to the left back.

The above is occasionally interspersed with the odd static one-two between him and the other central midfielder. The net result is that we spend 30 odd seconds, gaining zero yards in possession and allowing the opposition to completely regroup defensively. No matter that it has no positive impact on the game whatsoever - it at least gives Capoue good Opta or Prozone (or whoever) stats in terms of number of passes and pass completion percentages. Hopefully there will be a club out there willing to buy him off of us based on these stats alone!

Personally I think both Huddlestone and Livermore are more effective than Capoue. Huddlestone suffers the same lack of mobility that Capoue does, but manages to get more involved in an attacking sense and is far more creative with his passing than Capoue. Whereas Livermore is no worse than Capoue in terms of his ability on the ball but IMO is a better player than Capoue is when the opposition have the ball.

Last edited:
From what I have seen of Capoue his game centres on him taking a 10 yard pass off of one of our centre halves and then making a 10 yard pass to our other centre half. Then stand there for a few seconds as our centre half passes it to the right back, ready to receive a 15 yard pass from that right back and then, when this happens, make a 15 yard pass out to the left back.

The above is occasionally interspersed with the odd static one-two between him and the other central midfielder. The net result is that we spend 30 odd seconds, gaining zero yards in possession and allowing the opposition to completely regroup defensively. No matter that it has no positive impact on the game whatsoever - it at least gives Capoue good Opta or Prozone (or whoever) stats in terms of number of passes and pass completion percentages. Hopefully there will be a club out there willing to buy him off of us based on these stats alone!

Personally I think both Huddlestone and Livermore are more effective than Capoue. Huddlestone suffers the same lack of mobility that Capoue does, but manages to get more involved in an attacking sense and is far more creative with his passing than Capoue. Whereas Livermore is no worse than Capoue in terms of his ability on the ball but IMO is a better player than Capoue is when the opposition have the ball.

You know what, I I can't dance with any of that. Add the fact opposition players seem to easily get goal-side of him and I fail to see what he brings. Still quite early in his career with us I suppose but unlike a few on here I wasn't overly impressed with his debut up until his injury as what I saw then was basically what I see from him every game.

Back