• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK Thread

I played central midfield for my school team, full back for my district, centre midfield for Essex county, full back for my Sunday team and full back at youth level for Chelsea. I would also occasionally fill in at centre half or even as a number 10 type striker for any/all of the above.

So you played fb at the higher levels and midfield at the lower levels? Confirms my point doesn't it. And of course playing fb at Chelsea youth is tougher than midfield for your school. Guess what, playing midfield for Chelsea youth is even harder.

I also played midfield when I got older and played in old boy leagues. The idea that positioning in midfield is easier than fb is laughable. Midfield you have to worry about 360 degrees around you. FB only 90 degrees for most of the time and when you do track forward, it's up and down you go.

So you played fb at the higher levels and midfield at the lower levels? Confirms my point doesn't it. And of course playing fb at Chelsea youth is tougher than midfield for your school. Guess what, playing midfield for Chelsea youth is even harder.

I also played midfield when I got older and played in old boy leagues. The idea that positioning in midfield is easier than fb is laughable. Midfield you have to worry about 360 degrees around you. FB only 90 degrees for most of the time and when you do track forward, it's up and down you go.

Is that why they all get given a knife?

Well it would do other than the fact that the Essex county team I played for was of a FAR higher standard than the Chelsea youth team I played for (and indeed just about any of the professional club's youth teams back then). My three midfield partners for Essex were Darren Caskey (Spurs and then various) Danny Williamson (West Ham then Everton) and Matty Holland (Ipswich and Ireland - although I'm not sure where they dug that Irish passport up from).... Spot the odd man out from that midfield! :(

I was offered professional terms by Arsenal, West Ham, Orient, Ipswich, Watford and Palace - all offering me my choice of a midfield or fullback role. At the point when I left Chelsea (injury problems) I was often playing as the number 10 (partly due to injury to other players in the youth team and partly due to us playing a high energy game pressuring the opposition's defence). If you think that playing fullback at the top level is easy then I would suggest that you haven't played football to a particularly high level, I found playing central midfield a breeze compared to an attacking fullback role.

Peterh1980 on SC:

Interestingly I now have a very close link to Southampton's hierarchy (a&c same source as I passed the info on poch). We are very much talking to then and have asked who they are prepared to sell. They will sell only 3 of the current squad..... Excluding Lambert. Lallana wants Liverpool and is kicking up a stink similar to modric. We have been given permission to speak to lovren and he wants to come. They are still waiting on a bid though.....this is very interesting, seems like we are still having a look at CB's. They are talking to us about Townsend.

Southampton will only be looking to sell on those that make the most sense first..
Lambert was allowed to go because they will never get another opportunity to get a decent fee for him if they didn't sell him now, plus they must have some add-ons in that Liverpool deal.
Lallana is then the biggest asset they have and so he is almost certain to go as they can negotiate a huge fee for him.

Lovren I don't think will be let go that easily.. Unless the new manager coming in has his eye on another potentially cheap CB and they think they can make us pay a stupid amount for Lovren, either way that will take time to pan out so I don't see that happening any time soon.

Just my opinion of course ;)

Southampton will only be looking to sell on those that make the most sense first..
Lambert was allowed to go because they will never get another opportunity to get a decent fee for him if they didn't sell him now, plus they must have some add-ons in that Liverpool deal.
Lallana is then the biggest asset they have and so he is almost certain to go as they can negotiate a huge fee for him.

Lovren I don't think will be let go that easily.. Unless the new manager coming in has his eye on another potentially cheap CB and they think they can make us pay a stupid amount for Lovren, either way that will take time to pan out so I don't see that happening any time soon.

Just my opinion of course ;)

And Lovren is in Brazil for the next month.

Well it would do other than the fact that the Essex county team I played for was of a FAR higher standard than the Chelsea youth team I played for (and indeed just about any of the professional club's youth teams back then). My three midfield partners for Essex were Darren Caskey (Spurs and then various) Danny Williamson (West Ham then Everton) and Matty Holland (Ipswich and Ireland - although I'm not sure where they dug that Irish passport up from).... Spot the odd man out from that midfield! :(

I was offered professional terms by Arsenal, West Ham, Orient, Ipswich, Watford and Palace - all offering me my choice of a midfield or fullback role. At the point when I left Chelsea (injury problems) I was often playing as the number 10 (partly due to injury to other players in the youth team and partly due to us playing a high energy game pressuring the opposition's defence). If you think that playing fullback at the top level is easy then I would suggest that you haven't played football to a particularly high level, I found playing central midfield a breeze compared to an attacking fullback role.

I have to agree with Finney here. Attacking full back is a really tough position to play.

There is the battle of wills with the opposite wide player to see if you can force them back or vice versa.
There is decision making about when to go forward and when not to.
It is probably the most physically demanding position on the pitch.
There is decision making about at what point you go out and press the winger, or stay narrow to avoid the ball down the inside.
You can't see behind you for the offside trap if the ball is arriving on the opposite side and the winger you are marking is trying to sneak in behind; so you are constantly checking your position.
If their wide man is quicker than you you have to adjust your game accordingly because it is one of the few positions where you can get frequent one-on-one straight line races for the ball.

I started out LB, played CB/CM briefly when I grew, and most of my football as central striker at a reasonable standard. Now I'm old(er) I play (mostly) non-attacking LB (because, despite being relatively fit, I can't do repeated lengths of the pitch for 90 minutes) , and other than the repetitive short sprinting as a striker which is tiring, it is the toughest position I've played in.

I imagine the modern in the hole 10 must be difficult as you have no reference points on the pitch -but then your defensive responsibilities are possibly not as critical .

Hardest position I think I've played was "wing back" in a 3-5-2 for a crap local league team. Absolutely killed me, I just remember every time we lost the ball that pained feeling of turning round to see I was 10-20 yards the wrong side of their wide midfield player and having to try to kill myself getting back!
Hated it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Fapatalk

Still not convinced. Every position is tough, full back the least so. Anyway this isn't the thread to debate it.

When do we get past the "****ing in my own pocket, I played for x , I was scouted by brazil, etc etc " ?

Back to ITK please ladies

When do we get past the "****ing in my own pocket, I played for x , I was scouted by brazil, etc etc " ?

Back to ITK please ladies

What sort of a name is x for a football team ? I have never heard of them what league do they play in?

Did brazil really scout you ?

What was you ****ing in your pocket ?

You know if it was your hand in your pocket that has a different name don't you ?
So many questions from your post left unanswered.
Im genuinely intrigued ;)

Peterh1980 on SC:

The really interesting thing is that apparently Poch's first choice was Schneiderlin, But was told no way. Which has had me thinking all day is there smoke to the Sandro rumours, maybe doesn't fancy him. Seems to be a lot of dialogue between both clubs though. Strangely it seems Lovren is ok to leave before the new manager is appointed, where as the owners are quite adamant that they need to hire the new boss before decisions on Shaw and Lallana are made.

ggspur on COYS

Vlad is going nowhere. Neither is Vertonghen and Kaboul has a year left.

Yid1987 on SC:

Top info on Saints. I was told by someone I know at Saints that so far Spurs have shown concrete interest in Schneiderlin and Lovren and both are available at the right price. Spurs have been told the price but as yet no bids have been made.

Just to add to my post above. Saints position is that they dont want to lose Lambert, Shaw, Lallana, Scheiderlin and Lovren all at the same time.

Because of this their tactic will be, if Shaw and Lallana go first, the asking price for Scheiderlin and Lovren will be inflated as they won't need the money due to the massive amounts received. The same tactic would be used vice versa, if Schneiderlin and Lovren go then they will dig their heels in with the other too and make it difficult for any to go.

This isn't to say that they won't lose all 5 but the board know the fans aren't happy about Poch coming to us and the prospect of losing all their best players. However, the sales will generate £70m+ and spent wisely they could still have a decent PL squad is their thinking.

None of the above is opinion. It's what I've been told from Saints.

Our side, been told that Sandro will likely go. We're holding out for more money (standard). Club are concerned about his knee injuries. And as we have lots of similarly powerful type players he is seen as surplus - obviously this is linked to wanting Shneiderlin who is technically better than Sandro and suits Pochettino's style.

At CB was told club are keen to keep Daws. Possibility of Vert going, was unhappy last summer when interest was shown and he wasn't allowed to go. This is dependant on a) his performances at WC to generate interest (the club interested last summer are buying another CB); b) the price as usual. A lot will depend on Kaboul situation too.

Heard we are monitoring Caulker situation. He has agreed terms with Liverpool but they are looking at alternative options. The info on him has come from his club not Spurs!

IfiHadTheWings on SC:

I was playing golf this evening with my cousin who is the Stoke Academy goalkeeping coach, apparently Townsend is a big troublemaker and has bust ups daily on the training ground(the info came from tony parks who was up at stoke shortly after leaving us, this wasn't the first time they met and apparently tony is a really nice guy who my cousin said could listen to his stories all day) also sherwood was speaking disrespectfully toward levy in front of the players and staff and apparently parks did not speak highly of sherwood at all and as my cousin put it thought he was a knob, on top of that the dressing room leaks during the season were coming from the chef who weirdly was in the dressing room during a lot of games but however was kicked out by Tim. And lastly according to my cousin ours and Chelsea's academy are by far the best in the country which going by how both teams don't really produce first team players seems a bit odd. I kno it's not transfer itk but I thought I'd share with you as it was interesting to hear and thought you guys would appreciate it.

IfiHadTheWings on SC:

I was playing golf this evening with my cousin who is the Stoke Academy goalkeeping coach, apparently Townsend is a big troublemaker and has bust ups daily on the training ground(the info came from tony parks who was up at stoke shortly after leaving us, this wasn't the first time they met and apparently tony is a really nice guy who my cousin said could listen to his stories all day) also sherwood was speaking disrespectfully toward levy in front of the players and staff and apparently parks did not speak highly of sherwood at all and as my cousin put it thought he was a knob, on top of that the dressing room leaks during the season were coming from the chef who weirdly was in the dressing room during a lot of games but however was kicked out by Tim. And lastly according to my cousin ours and Chelsea's academy are by far the best in the country which going by how both teams don't really produce first team players seems a bit odd. I kno it's not transfer itk but I thought I'd share with you as it was interesting to hear and thought you guys would appreciate it.

Our academy is excellent and actually has been for a while. People say we don't produce loads of players for the first team, but what academy does for a top club? Players that are top quality are not-surprisingly (or surprisingly to some) quite rare.

Academy crops like Beckham, Scholes, Nevilles etc or Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc coming through at the same time are freaks. That is not the norm and is down to luck rather than the strength of the academy (although obviously it has more chance of happening at a great academy). Since that generation what players have Man U produced?

We might not have produced loads of players, but we have produced at least two world-class centrebacks who played a lot of seasons for the club (***face judas tw** and Ledley King), Stephen Carr, who before his injuries was a top full-back and we have several academy players that have played in the first team in recent seasons like Kane, Caulker etc.

Forget the players that don't make it at Spurs, that is very difficult. The law of averages says that an academy will produce very few players capable of playing for a top 6 team in the BPL or at one of Europes top leagues.

Think about the amount of ex Spurs academy players that have made very successful Premiership or Championship level careers and there are loads. I've just named Caulker, but there are a load of players like him who are good enough to make the grade at Premiership of Championship level and command a sizeable transfer fee in the bargain.

Even if Jake Livermore and Tom Carroll don't make it at Spurs and the club decide their not quite good enough, we're likely to get at least £5m for them as they're both easily good enough for a lower end PL team or top end championship team.

In this respect the academy makes us money and success is developing young kids to a high standard with good training and professionalism. Our academy has a good rep as many of our players go on to have high level pro careers, which can't be said of a lot of players. Most of our academy graduates are known to be good pros too.

I know a bit about our academy (i'm not ITK but I just get passing comments) as a family member works for Saudi Sportswashing Machine's academy and one of my mates works for Bradford City's academy too.

IfiHadTheWings on SC:

Not at all surprised about Chelsea's and our academy being the best, I've seen both and they do both play in the right way.

IfiHadTheWings on SC:

The chef were picking up stuff from our dressing room and leaking it to the media?! Haha. Tottenham Hotspur, you never fail to surprise. :ross:

The chef were picking up stuff from our dressing room and leaking it to the media?! Haha. Tottenham Hotspur, you never fail to surprise. :ross:

..and there's me thinking it was Sherwood 8-[

I wonder if the leaks being referred to are the ones related to dressing-room bust-ups, such as those rumours after the Chelski and Liverpool games

Back