• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Preseason 2022

Again though, Liverpool make it work. They effectively play with WBs, 3 forwards and no creative CMs. Same as us (just that we'll have 3CBs and 2 non-creative CMs, whereas they'll have 2 CBs and 2 uncreative CMs)
Thiago is creative, he's not an AM but he's certainly a creative passer. Far more than anyone we play in midfield. Then add that they attackers were all creative forwards in their own right. We don't have that.

The comparison isn't about system it's about personnel. We don't have the same kind of players in those key creative areas that they had. They also have a more attack oriented setup. They are very gung ho and play on the halfway line, press intently and do play with one less defender than ourselves.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Again though, Liverpool make it work. They effectively play with WBs, 3 forwards and no creative CMs. Same as us (just that we'll have 3CBs and 2 non-creative CMs, whereas they'll have 2 CBs and 2 uncreative CMs)
They have tweaked that with the integration of Thiago.

Thiago is creative, he's not an AM but he's certainly a creative passer. Far more than anyone we play in midfield. Then add that they attackers were all creative forwards in their own right. We don't have that.

The comparison isn't about system it's about personnel. We don't have the same kind of players in those key creative areas that they had. They also have a more attack oriented setup. They are very gung ho and play on the halfway line, press intently and do play with one less defender than ourselves.

Tbh I don't think we'd look or operate too differently if we had TAA and Robertson on our flanks.

Imo Kane and Kulu are more creative than anyone they have in attack. (If you mean 'creative' for teammates)

Liverpool have very quick and mobile front five. They game plan is a sudden swarm and pace on the ball when it happens. We can't do that unless Kane drops deep. When you have him leading the line and four defenders around in him box, its going to be hard for Kane to get the ball from the wingbacks. Would work with Kane deeper and Sonny up front, though from our pre season, it seems that Kane isn't going to drop deep much.

There’s been some comments and not using a new signing for a position where we are short of quality . Surely you need to play him to see if he’s up to the task . I did say that in another post . No misinterpreting words .

If he didn't want him he wouldn'tbe here. Conte has a veto on transfers.

Tbh I don't think we'd look or operate too differently if we had TAA and Robertson on our flanks.

Imo Kane and Kulu are more creative than anyone they have in attack. (If you mean 'creative' for teammates)
Yes but we don't have TAA and Robertson which is a massive part of why their system works.

I was referring to overall creativity, so the combination of personal flair as well as creating for others. Kulu is more in the mould of what Liverpool have and while Kane has great long passing and great link up, passing in tight spaces is not his strength.

Tight spaces are what we came up against yesterday and those are the type of games where we've struggled to break down teams. Liverpool have been able to get around these problems due to Salah's and Mane's ability to dribble in tight spaces along with Firminho who isn't the biggest goal threat but does have fantastic control in tight spaces and great vision and a certain degree of unpredictability which helps him find his teammates on those tight spaces.

That's not say that we are doing it the wrong way just that we can:t just compare the general shape that Liverpool play to ours and ask why we don't get the same results. Our personnel and their attributes are quite different. We need to find our own way of beating a dig in deep defense.

Thought that was an excellent preseason game for us. Competitive, had to work hard to try to break down a well organised team sitting back. Did create some chances too. I don't care about the final result.

Bissouma may make himself a first choice starter at some point, but for now I think Bentancur and Hojbjerg.

Perisic looks class, that was to be expected, but also looks really fit and ready for the hard work. Good to see.

Lenglet looks good on the ball as expected. Time will tell defensively, but a good option to have.

Think RWB is Doherty's spot for now. Somewhat surprised Spence didn't get minutes, but still very early and he probably has some settling in and system learning to do.

Kane, Son, Kulusevski and Richarlison all look very much on form.

Very excited for the season to start.

Hojberg gets the job done but I think Bissouma has better vision and passing. Lenglet looks class always looking forward... I think we will be pleasantly surprised with our new look left wing.

The goal was worrisome I thought. Basic corner, middle of a cluttered box, no one up to challenge.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk

Hojberg gets the job done but I think Bissouma has better vision and passing. Lenglet looks class always looking forward... I think we will be pleasantly surprised with our new look left wing.

The goal was worrisome I thought. Basic corner, middle of a cluttered box, no one up to challenge.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk

Haven't seen vision and passing as strengths for Bissouma really. Dribbling, absolutely, but his passing hasn't impressed me much. Not just talking preseason. But some time under Conte may change that.

I wonder if we'll change our plan for defensive set pieces with a new set piece coach in? May explain what happened if we're working on a new way to defend corners. Don't know if we are though.

Haven't seen vision and passing as strengths for Bissouma really. Dribbling, absolutely, but his passing hasn't impressed me much. Not just talking preseason. But some time under Conte may change that.

I wonder if we'll change our plan for defensive set pieces with a new set piece coach in? May explain what happened if we're working on a new way to defend corners. Don't know if we are though.

Bissouma is exactly that, breaks up play and then carries ball up the pitch, for me when need better than PEH next to him in order for this to kick on.

There’s been some comments and not using a new signing for a position where we are short of quality . Surely you need to play him to see if he’s up to the task . I did say that in another post . No misinterpreting words .
If it is not using a new signing because he is not yet acclimatised to the demands of the team and the tactical expectations, then that is not dissatisfaction with that new signing. It's proper management and avoiding baptising him in fire.

I think managers get a fair idea if someone's up to the task by the hours of observation in training.
Of course, if you sign a multi-million experienced player, then you probably can throw them straight in. That cannot be said about Spence though

If it is not using a new signing because he is not yet acclimatised to the demands of the team and the tactical expectations, then that is not dissatisfaction with that new signing. It's proper management and avoiding baptising him in fire.

I think managers get a fair idea if someone's up to the task by the hours of observation in training.
Of course, if you sign a multi-million experienced player, then you probably can throw them straight in. That cannot be said about Spence though

When is better time to do such things as playing in a pre season friendly ? Minutes on the pitch are equally important as training ground. Yet we’ve seen Moura play there.

When is better time to do such things as playing in a pre season friendly ? Minutes on the pitch are equally important as training ground. Yet we’ve seen Moura play there.
Surely the training ground shows if they are even ready for a friendly match? That's what Conte's words have indicated

Surely the training ground shows if they are even ready for a friendly match? That's what Conte's words have indicated
Yes . Thing is the bigger picture is he’s clearly not ready then . What’s the point of him ? Send him out on loan ? It’s a weak point of ours and if Spence is not ready then it’s not been addressed. One for the future ok but we need threat from our WBs for the system to work. My comment was part of a wider point on our weak areas and it’s clearly one.

Preseason for Conte seems to be all about fitness - Spence is behind the rest due to signing late
Maybe so. The post was part of a wider point taken in isolation and commented on.

As for Spence who knows he’s young and raw he may not kick a ball this season. Did Conte really want him again who knows.

Having seen us last night RWB is still a glaring weak spot for us . Will he be the answer time will tell. Wasn’t moaning it was a valid observation that last evening I posted about.

We will find out in coming weeks how it shakes out. Same as we still need a decent passer in midfield. Ours are functional. System was compared to Liverpool but Thiago can pick passes that our CMs can not .

Conte said he okayed the deal and that he thinks he's a good young player who can be important for the club - i don't think he's the type of coach to say that if he didn't actually give the thumbs up. Club signing or not.

I'm not worried about anything based on preseason matches - quite clear that we value fitness over match performance during the summer. I was just responding on the Spence point as i don't see anything to be concerned about with him atm

Maybe so. The post was part of a wider point taken in isolation and commented on.

As for Spence who knows he’s young and raw he may not kick a ball this season. Did Conte really want him again who knows.

Having seen us last night RWB is still a glaring weak spot for us . Will he be the answer time will tell. Wasn’t moaning it was a valid observation that last evening I posted about.

We will find out in coming weeks how it shakes out. Same as we still need a decent passer in midfield. Ours are functional. System was compared to Liverpool but Thiago can pick passes that our CMs can not .

Conte has a veto for all transfers for the first team. We wont sign anyone for the first team without his approval. So did conte want him, yes. He said so. It is more for the club in that he is young and is an investment for the future.

Conte said he okayed the deal and that he thinks he's a good young player who can be important for the club - i don't think he's the type of coach to say that if he didn't actually give the thumbs up. Club signing or not.

I'm not worried about anything based on preseason matches - quite clear that we value fitness over match performance during the summer. I was just responding on the Spence point as i don't see anything to be concerned about with him atm

I have no specific concerns over Spence. Just that I expected to see more of him seeing as I felt we still look weak in a couple of areas and RWB being one of them. Seeing as that’s what we signed him for. I don’t really see the issue in saying that.

Pre season is the best time to blood players and expected to see more.I said if Spence is not up to the task then will be weak at RWB. This was in relation to WBs being crucial to our System.

Back