• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I aint no Sheikh-but lets talk weather

I shall look into that thanks and have a nose at that architectural style.

(haha just looked up Petricelli which Ihad mentally pictures as some sort of avant garde style- not a tv show with some guy who never finished building his house).
LOL. Yeah that reference was a bit obscure.

Too much glass is often a schoolboy error.
Get the compass out.

We welcome the solar gains in the winter but built the single storey roof structure with a 900mm overhang to keep that middle of the day midsummer sunlight of the rear glass doors. (We're south facing... wouldn't have it any other way:))

Well where were you when we were designing our house? But yeah I take my sweaty cap off to you Rick.

We had an architects firm do the design. I chose wooden windows on the public north side built by a local joiner, and aluminium frames on the south side where the weather comes in - so I did think about some things.

We actually made the southern windows smaller too. I do think most of the problem is solar radiation but we probably have poor circulation too.

Just had an email from my youngest's primary school
Due to the weather warnings next week they have decided to finish for summer 3 days earlier so today instead of Wednesday
What about if you can't source childcare this late for those 3 days
I get it's going to be hot but that is ridiculous

Due to the weather warnings next week they have decided to finish for summer 3 days earlier so today instead of Wednesday
If you'd pulled your kid out 3 days early go try and save a bit of cash booking a holiday I'm sure that would be frowned upon?
Should be an option imo, keep them at home if you can but let those who need childcare send them in and they can play games or watch films.

If you'd pulled your kid out 3 days early go try and save a bit of cash booking a holiday I'm sure that would be frowned upon?
Should be an option imo, keep them at home if you can but let those who need childcare send them in and they can play games or watch films.
We had a further update today if you can't get childcare etc then you can send your child in but for those who are fine we need to keep them at home
When we told the school we was taking her out for a week for our family moon they were a bit grumpy about it, so clearly only works on their terms

Last minute cheap family holiday potential.

So, middle of July, 9 o'clock at night and I've got the firepit going on one side of me and the bbq on the other and its still bloody cold.
Can we stfu about global bloody warming.
We've had 36 hours of above average temps in Scotland and the rest of the summer has been poor, but all we are hearing about is how we need to get used to extreme heat.

So, middle of July, 9 o'clock at night and I've got the firepit going on one side of me and the bbq on the other and its still bloody cold.
We've had 36 hours of above average temps in Scotland and the rest of the summer has been poor, but all we are hearing about is how we need to get used to extreme heat.
It's been glorious down on the south coast, I suppose there is only so much 'levelling up' they can do:D:p

You may have said this tongue in cheek so my bad if I've not grasped that, but if not it is a classic Jeremy Clarkson level of understanding something non car related - "I feel cold at the moment, therefore global warming isn't a thing"

Current level of rising temperature will have what we called the heatwave of 40c a few days ago + will just be a normal day in 30 years...Great if you like the heat, and as a country can afford to replace / upgrade most infastructure , build capable housing etc etc

You may have said this tongue in cheek so my bad if I've not grasped that, but if not it is a classic Jeremy Clarkson level of understanding something non car related - "I feel cold at the moment, therefore global warming isn't a thing"

Current level of rising temperature will have what we called the heatwave of 40c a few days ago + will just be a normal day in 30 years...Great if you like the heat, and as a country can afford to replace / upgrade most infastructure , build capable housing etc etc

It was tongue in cheek, but also vino inspired.
When your average temp has been around 17 (not taking into account the wind chill btw) it does get a bit wearying listening to the press batter on about how Scotland is having a heat wave.
Did you see the open championship at st andrews last week? Even the hardy scots were wearing jumpers, yet they kept banging on about the heat.
We, as in Scotland, are not having a heat wave, in fact its been a poor summer.

It was tongue in cheek, but also vino inspired.
When your average temp has been around 17 (not taking into account the wind chill btw) it does get a bit wearying listening to the press batter on about how Scotland is having a heat wave.
Did you see the open championship at st andrews last week? Even the hardy scots were wearing jumpers, yet they kept banging on about the heat.
We, as in Scotland, are not having a heat wave, in fact its been a poor summer.

Ah I get ya, haven't seen too much media coverage myself but imagine it could be a bit much if you aren't affected. I guess Scotland may have a bit more time before it becomes a raging inferno, karma wise you may have earnt the time by generally committing less atrocities / crusades throughout history.

Even if it does sound a bit sensationalist, that stat of increase did put my mind towards what kind of world my nephews / nieces and following generations are going to be living in, unless a real solution is enacted.

Ah I get ya, haven't seen too much media coverage myself but imagine it could be a bit much if you aren't affected. I guess Scotland may have a bit more time before it becomes a raging inferno, karma wise you may have earnt the time by generally committing less atrocities / crusades throughout history.

Even if it does sound a bit sensationalist, that stat of increase did put my mind towards what kind of world my nephews / nieces and following generations are going to be living in, unless a real solution is enacted.
People's grasp of the timelines here is a bit off, largely because of MSM underselling the severity of things. 1.5c increase within 5-6 years is now looking likely, once thought to be decades away, but now a threshold that is more or less a given. Things will unravel fairly quickly after that and I know most people don't really understand what's coming.
Cooler places like Scotland will be prime destinations for those trying to escape the heat.

The krankies, the bay city rollers, gordon brown, charlie adam, do they count as atrocities?

"Water shortage warnings issued as Scots urged to limit usage to 'absolutely necessary' - Daily Record" https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...gs-issued-scots-27554591.amp#comments-section

So 5 out of the last seven days the temp has been lower than 20 degrees but they mention the "UK heatwave."
Its done nothing but rain for the last two days, water levels are at moderate levels but here a scare story about water shortage in Scotland.
There has been no heat wave in Scotland, yes its been slightly drier than the norm, will you stfu!

Back