• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

No one that's directly a creative player or someone with good end product imo.

Someone that could offer us that option and be an option in a wide attacking role could be rather useful imo.

I think Maddison could be a very useful option. If he's worth the cost is a different question, but if it has to be a home grown player I'm not sure there are better players we could get.

But we play with a double pivot. It's like complaining that none of Dembele, Wanyama or Dier offered enough creativity or end product. That isn't the role of a CM in our system. Rather it's to win it, break the press, and move it on quickly and crisply. Which is why we have assembled 4 CMs who are all reasonably similar in style.

But we play with a double pivot. It's like complaining that none of Dembele, Wanyama or Dier offered enough creativity or end product. That isn't the role of a CM in our system. Rather it's to win it, break the press, and move it on quickly and crisply. Which is why we have assembled 4 CMs who are all reasonably similar in style.
Against teams that park the bus, we don't need two defensive CM, just one with an Eriksen type to open the defence.

Could SMS be the perfect signing as he could play in the two but also if I’m not mistaken he could be the more progressive one in a 3 when we want to play that system.

Some money and Hojbjerg could be the perfect deal.

Against teams that park the bus, we don't need two defensive CM, just one with an Eriksen type to open the defence.

At our greatest under Poch, we never did that - i.e. move Erisken or Alli back into the double pivot. It's quite a different skillset - retention and quick transitioning, versus playmaking.

It think at least 3 out of our 4 main CM options are plenty capable enough with the ball (Hojbjerg is weakest, but not a particular liability).

I just do see it happening, especially when there's already 5 attacking positions in front of them who could be switched up.

The stats I see say Maddison had 12 goals and 8 assists in the EPL last year - the other 10 (6 goals/4 assists in cup competitions). Not devaluing 20 goal contributions from midfield (much more than decent) but people talking as if he is some golden boot contender with 30 'league' contributions.

Personally wouldn't have him starting over Kane, Kulu or Son and would be in the mix with Richarlison if we changed formation, so he would presumably get less playing time than at Filbert Street. Option off the bench when we struggle to break down defensive lines? Would that be enough?

Fwiw 20 G&A is one less than what Mason Mount and Ronaldo got and more than : Jota, Mane, Mharez, Sterling, Fernandes and a bunch of other names most people would consider among the best attacking players in the league, including Richarlson who was on 15.

It's not hard to imagine that were he playing regularly for a top six side that the 20 G&A would increase a fair amount - as it is at Spurs his game time will likely reduce so trading that off with the fact he will be playing alongside better players makes it hard to summise, but as with Richarlson we feel it will be a trade off that would suit us.

Would be interesting to see what Jota & Mane were contributing at Wolves & Southampton before they stepped up - i feel pretty strongly that 20 for a non top 6 club is a very good indicator that the player is ready.

Last edited:
Fwiw 20 G&A is one less than what Mason Mount and Ronaldo got and more than : Jota, Mane, Mharez, Sterling, Fernandes and a bunch of other names most people would consider among the best attacking players in the league, including Richarlson who was on 15.

It's not hard to imagine that were he playing regularly for a top six side that the 20 G&A would increase a fair amount - as it is at Spurs his game time will likely reduce so trading that off with the fact he will be playing alongside better players makes it hard to summise, but as with Richarlson we feel it will be a trade off that would suit us.

Would be interesting to see what Jota & Mane were contributing at Wolves & Southampton before they stepped up - i feel pretty strongly that 20 for a non top 6 club is a very good indicator that the player is ready.

I believe someone said in the richarlison thread, his and manes numbers were similar.

I believe someone said in the richarlison thread, his and manes numbers were similar.
They were
Almost identical TBF
But both were wide players in less attacking sides than Leicester
Maddison though is a very good player and can fit a few roles in the team

Mane's league goals and assists per 90 mins for Southampton were 0.40 goals and 0.17 assists.
Richarlison's for Everton were 0.35 and 0.10, so not quite as good but pretty close.

(Over 30 x 90 min appearances, that would be 12 and 5 vs 10 and 3).

Maddison's equivalent stats over his 4 years at Leicester are: 0.29 goals per 90 and 0.20 assists per 90. But a quarter of his appearances have been in central midfield. If you take those games out, his stats become 0.28 goals per 90 and 0.26 assists per 90. Not bad.

But I agree he seems like a bit of a douche, so I'd rather see Gil given a shot :D

But it was a problem that none offered much creatively. It's why we couldn't break down teams in the toughest matches and why we struggled when the lower quality teams closed up shop.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

But it was a problem that none offered much creatively. It's why we couldn't break down teams in the toughest matches and why we struggled when the lower quality teams closed up shop.

But contes 3-4-3 system its creativity comes from wing backs, progressive centre backs and the attackers

But contes 3-4-3 system its creativity comes from wing backs, progressive centre backs and the attackers

Absolutely. And I think coaching this and the recruitment in these areas is going to have a huge impact. Bentancur and Kulusevski and the post-January run was just a taste of what is to come.

Conte's teams have never been about individual creativity, they are about the team stretching the play and moving the ball rapidly.

Absolutely. And I think coaching this and the recruitment in these areas is going to have a huge impact. Bentancur and Kulusevski and the post-January run was just a taste of what is to come.

Conte's teams have never been about individual creativity, they are about the team stretching the play and moving the ball rapidly.
It’s exactly why I think Moura is a weak link
We need players who play within the system and structure
But… I wouldn’t knock signing Maddison myself, but I do think there is better signings to be made that are HG or not which are better value and better actual players

It’s exactly why I think Moura is a weak link
We need players who play within the system and structure
But… I wouldn’t knock signing Maddison myself, but I do think there is better signings to be made that are HG or not which are better value and better actual players

I think Moura works as the chaos option. Bring him on for the last 20 if we need something a bit different to the basic gameplan. He's obviously well down into 5th choice now, but it's the Bergwijn against Leicester option. It doesn't hurt to have one wildcard like that.

For me the main Maddison issue is about fit - his outstanding position is in the Dele Alli/Tim Cahill role - just off the shoulder of a CF in a 4-4-1-1. And we don't play anything like that.

I don't disagree with you but Gutter Boy said it would be akin to complaining about the lack of creativity within Poch's team, but in that team it was a problem and that was the negative.

I don't disagree with you but Gutter Boy said it would be akin to complaining about the lack of creativity within Poch's team, but in that team it was a problem and that was the negative.

A great coach finds a way to win
Conte has done that consistently
I think if he wants an aCM we will get one
One thing thsi window had shown is we’re backing the manager

A great coach finds a way to win
Conte has done that consistently
I think if he wants an aCM we will get one
One thing thsi window had shown is we’re backing the manager

I'm quietly hopeful for further improvements from Kulu (i believe he has room to grow further), Bentancur and slyly Sarr if he ends up staying with us. Theres even the factor of Lenglet who is an excellent passer and good carrier of the ball, so potentially adding quality from deep. Add that to further improvements and understanding of the system and I do think we might have a way around those very tight games.

Maddison just doesn't strike me as an answer honestly, but I won't complain about going for him. He just seems a bit of a "we need HG, so we'll go for this guy" rather truly believing hes the best option.

I'm quietly hopeful for further improvements from Kulu (i believe he has room to grow further), Bentancur and slyly Sarr if he ends up staying with us. Theres even the factor of Lenglet who is an excellent passer and good carrier of the ball, so potentially adding quality from deep. Add that to further improvements and understanding of the system and I do think we might have a way around those very tight games.

Maddison just doesn't strike me as an answer honestly, but I won't complain about going for him. He just seems a bit of a "we need HG, so we'll go for this guy" rather truly believing hes the best option.
I think Kulu will be talked about being world class very soon. The change in our team when he is in it is immense and I think there is another step up in him
I like Maddison but it’s a lot of money that I think could be spent on better options

It's all speculation and we have no idea what contes plans actually are. We're linked with lots of players, depay, fekir, paqueta...

They've shown so far they know what they're doing.

Back