• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

I may be harsh but I am yet to see anything special with Sessegnon's talent. I could see talent with Gareth Bale when he first joined Spurs. I could see it with Aaron Lennon. I am yet to see Sessegnon's. I await the future humble pie with gladness if it turns out I am wrong but for now - meh.
It is abundantly clear to me that Sessegnon has bags of talent. He has a great physique for football, is two footed, carries the ball well, has good close control, doesn't tend to get beaten one on one, generally always takes the right option and gets himself into excellent positions. Sessegnon doesn't have Lennon or Bale's incredible pace so is likely to take a little longer to settle into PL football but providing he can stay injury free and improve his confidence (arrogance) a little then he should be able to become a fantastic LB/LWB. IMO his ceiling is significantly higher than Regulion's even though Regulion appears the better player right now.

He played one decent season at Chelsea and won the league
He had 6 loans at Chelsea so was hardly a success
And at Wigan he didnt get regularly games until Nzogbia left
Still more than what Ryan has done thus far. Hopefully he'll stay injury free and kick on as they're is definitely talent there, an injection of confidence into his system would do wonders too.

It is abundantly clear to me that Sessegnon has bags of talent. He has a great physique for football, is two footed, carries the ball well, has good close control, doesn't tend to get beaten one on one, generally always takes the right option and gets himself into excellent positions. Sessegnon doesn't have Lennon or Bale's incredible pace so is likely to take a little longer to settle into PL football but providing he can stay injury free and improve his confidence (arrogance) a little then he should be able to become a fantastic LB/LWB. IMO his ceiling is significantly higher than Regulion's even though Regulion appears the better player right now.
I hope you are correct as the club has invested in him however I am yet to see it. He is 21 years old. Time is running out.

PS it wasn't their pace that set Bale and Lennon apart. There was something about them that made one take notice.

I hope you are correct as the club has invested in him however I am yet to see it. He is 21 years old. Time is running out.

PS it wasn't their pace that set Bale and Lennon apart. There was something about them that made one take notice.
Lennon actually wasn’t as good as people remember
He should have been better with the tools but I’m not sure he was coached very well and we just relied on his pace more as a threat

Definitely agree. Perhaps lacks that one standout attribute that makes some young players shine almost regardless of the level they play at. But a very well rounded player. Other than his lack of intensity/aggression/confidence/whatever and the more or less expected positioning issues at that age I struggle to see a real weakness in his game.

Is he can continue on the current trajectory of playing with more confidence I think he will be great for us. Being well rounded and short on weaknesses can be a standout quality on its own once a player settles in at a higher level.

Think the wing back role suits him very well. All set up for him to succeed right now imo.

Lennon actually wasn’t as good as people remember
He should have been better with the tools but I’m not sure he was coached very well and we just relied on his pace more as a threat
Yeah, and don't forget the RB making him look good ;-)

Lennon was a bums-off-seats player at a time when we were becoming a solid upper-mid-table side. Wasn't it Routledge who was meant to be the first choice RW, but he got injured and Lennon took his chance? You simply cannot beat pace like that, and his ball skills were always under-rated. Sadly, Lennon faded, losing some of his explosive pace as the Big 4 became a Big 6. But it was also the time when playing with actual wingers and two strikers became the exception rather than the norm. I'm not sure there'd be a place in the side for him at the moment, for example.

Yeah, and don't forget the RB making him look good ;-)

Lennon was a bums-off-seats player at a time when we were becoming a solid upper-mid-table side. Wasn't it Routledge who was meant to be the first choice RW, but he got injured and Lennon took his chance? You simply cannot beat pace like that, and his ball skills were always under-rated. Sadly, Lennon faded, losing some of his explosive pace as the Big 4 became a Big 6. But it was also the time when playing with actual wingers and two strikers became the exception rather than the norm. I'm not sure there'd be a place in the side for him at the moment, for example.
Lemon just want productive enough, top 4 or top 6. His final ball rarely found a target and he barely scored. But yes an exciting player to watch.

Lemon just want productive enough, top 4 or top 6. His final ball rarely found a target and he barely scored. But yes an exciting player to watch.
I still remember a trailer that Sky put out for one of our matches -- a montage of Bale, Lennon, Walker and Rose, with the strapline CAN YOU HANDLE THE PACE? Sure, Sonny and Moura are quicker than average, but it's been so damn long since we've had anyone with genuine pace.

EDIT: I'm not counting last season's version of Bale.

He looks a different player now that he has found his confidence, and remember he is still just 21 years old.
Yes, he can’t have confidence when he been injured a lot. I’m sure that stint in Germany did him some good also. I honestly believe he has a higher ceiling than Reguilon, I think technically he will prove to be the better player. But great options to have regardless….

Was decent today, not the most incredible display but then you have to remember he was up against the world's most intimidating right side of Salah and Trent. Better than Royal today.

Yep I thought Sess had a really good well-rounded game.

Looked confident. Physically strong, not beaten in any duel that I can recall. Solid on the ball too and got forward productively.

And this is all most impressive cos he was up against Salah & TAA who have decimated a lot of left-sided defensives this season.

Back