• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

They followed the science that sage advised.

Why does this get ignored continually.

What like on the SAGE minutes from 21st September that recommend a circuit break which the Government didn't implement? You know, right before the Government went into their second lockdown in October the month after, when it became apparent the virus was growing exponentially again? Would appreciate how the government followed the SAGE advice from that?

In fact the SAGE minutes of that meeting determined 5 courses of action (a shortlist of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) as they are called) that should be considered for “immediate” introduction to slow the virus growth.

Out of those 5, only 1 was implemented by the governemnt which was to reinforce working from home. So again, tell me how from your perspective, they are "following the science"?

In fact, don't tell me.

He is right about the borders though, SAGE said it wouldn't make a difference which looked dumb at the time and even worse now.

He is right about the borders though, SAGE said it wouldn't make a difference which looked dumb at the time and even worse now.

I might have mistaken the time line here, but was the quote from SAGE not that "it wouldn't make a difference now" as the window to implement it successfully had been missed.

Methods such as those used in China, Taiwan and South Korea are unacceptable.

Has any country with a population density resembling civilisation successfully kept the spread down without such measures?

Not acceptable that their nations are functioning, and their populations freer to live normal lives? You’d sacrifice the economy and day to day freedom for some contrived notion of privacy? Ok then [emoji6]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Not acceptable that their nations are functioning, and their populations freer to live normal lives? You’d sacrifice the economy and day to day freedom for some contrived notion of privacy? Ok then [emoji6]

As should everyone. It's not acceptable for any government to ever be able to enforce those conditions on its citizens.

As should everyone. It's not acceptable for any government to ever be able to enforce those conditions on its citizens.

Okay so you back 10s thousands of extra deaths, derailing the economy, many many months of lockdown, mental health implications, generational education implications, national debt, job losses...all because you don’t think we should share data or let the government take control to contain the virus. You’re imposing less freedom by the government not taking charge.

During the world wars the UK government took charge. It took the nation with it. There was acceptance and a drive to contain the enemy. You’d have be on the sidelines whinging about privacy rather than focus on defeating the enemy and liberating the nation [emoji6]

Okay so you back 10s thousands of extra deaths, derailing the economy, many many months of lockdown, mental health implications, generational education implications, national debt, job losses...all because you don’t think we should share data or let the government take control to contain the virus. You’re imposing less freedom by the government not taking charge.

During the world wars the UK government took charge. It took the nation with it. There was acceptance and a drive to contain the enemy. You’d have be on the sidelines whinging about privacy rather than focus on defeating the enemy and liberating the nation [emoji6]

Yes, absolutely. There's no cost too high to stay free of authoritarian rule (which leads us neatly to your point about wars we've fought against such tyranny).

I'm sure the economy would look great if we'd just adopt the methods used in China, but people won't and shouldn't live like that.

Yes, absolutely. There's no cost too high to stay free of authoritarian rule (which leads us neatly to your point about wars we've fought against such tyranny).

I'm sure the economy would look great if we'd just adopt the methods used in China, but people won't and shouldn't live like that.

So it was acceptable that the UK government took temporary authoritarian rule during the world wars, impacting freedom, to serve a greater goal. But it is not acceptable now? Even though you recognise the massive benefits to individuals and the nation.

Thank you for illustrating how ideological ideas can be dangerous and lead to blind faith.

So it was acceptable that the UK government took temporary authoritarian rule during the world wars, impacting freedom, to serve a greater goal. But it is not acceptable now? Even though you recognise the massive benefits to individuals and the nation.

Thank you for illustrating how ideological ideas can be dangerous and lead to blind faith.

The government was fighting against authoritarian rule, not for it.

Hadn’t read this thread for a few days (been busy living a non COVID focused life) but no surprise to see it’s full of the usual crap from scara and his henchman in being wrong, legohamster. Blah blah blah, Australia’s full of sheep and you can’t compare it to the good old Blighty. It’s like Groundhog Day.

I might have mistaken the time line here, but was the quote from SAGE not that "it wouldn't make a difference now" as the window to implement it successfully had been missed.

Yes, and i am definitely not saying the science has been 100% correct all the time, but as Boris Johnson's spokesman said, "Scientists advise, ministers decide".

SAGE have not got everything right, but the specific comments from SAGE were effectively closing travel to China statistically wouldn't impact the numbers considerably because the virus was already rampant in the UK and domestic cases were the concern. They said however, that once you bring down the local cases, then come back to the question of travel imports because inevitably you will start importing more cases.

On April 28, the minutes noted that “as the number of cases in the UK decreases, the potential proportion of imported cases may increase. It is possible to estimate the number of cases which may be imported and their proportion of the total”, adding that “determining a tolerable level of risk from imported cases requires consideration of a number of non-science factors and is a policy question”.

We had a hugely successful lockdown for several months from March last year, but again, through incompetence, we did not set up a functioning test and trace, we did not put stringent border controls in place. Now we are on our 3rd lockdown, and have schools closed. We did not learn anything from elsewhere because we're too busy shouting from the rooftops about Britain being "world leading" in every domain and the fanboys echoing it.

Yes, and i am definitely not saying the science has been 400% correct all the time, but as Boris Johnson's spokesman said, "Scientists advise, ministers decide".

SAGE have not got everything right, but the specific comments from SAGE were effectively closing travel to China statistically wouldn't impact the numbers considerably because the virus was already rampant in the UK and domestic cases were the concern. They said however, that once you bring down the local cases, then come back to the question of travel imports because inevitably you will start importing more cases.

On April 28, the minutes noted that “as the number of cases in the UK decreases, the potential proportion of imported cases may increase. It is possible to estimate the number of cases which may be imported and their proportion of the total”, adding that “determining a tolerable level of risk from imported cases requires consideration of a number of non-science factors and is a policy question”.

We had a hugely successful lockdown for several months from March last year, but again, through incompetence, we did not set up a functioning test and trace, we did not put stringent border controls in place. Now we are on our 3rd lockdown, and have schools closed. We did not learn anything from elsewhere because we're too busy shouting from the rooftops about Britain being "world leading" in every domain and the fanboys echoing it.

They couldn’t crack on last summer. with implementing things which might contain the virus through the winter. They had important culture wars to fight.

I think so but they didn't recommend it at any point before either, I think they and most people didn't realise how much had come into the country from Europe already.

Exactly. To achieve long term freedom, some freedoms and personal rights were temporarily sacrificed. Korean and Chinese interventions have been less draconian that the British in WWII with curfews, national subscription and travel restrictions.

If the fight is between two forms of oppression, I'll take the lesser.

If it's between oppression and a virus, I'll take the latter.

Another fairly low day, wonder if what we're being told at 5pm will allude to us not having the supply we're meant to

upload_2021-1-26_16-42-29.png

Back