• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

Liking the looks of Kim - 6'3", mobile and great in the air. Not left footed as Vertonghen is, but a promising replacement. And if it's Son that's endorsing him, even better. Son's not bringing him here because he needs friends.

Hope so, it's important to keep signing good youth prospects. Feel we've neglected that a bit the last couple of years,

Mmhmm. I wonder how much the departure of McDermott as head of the academy has to do with it, though - towards the end of his tenure here, it seemed almost our MO to avoid signing talented youngsters, in favour of developing our own locally-based players. Of course, with exceptions like Parrott and Shilow Tracey, but we seemed to have a lower proportion of buys/poached youngsters in our youth teams than our rivals did/do.

Could just be Levy cheaping out again, but I don't think so - he was okay with speculative punts like Iago Falque and Souleymane Coulibaly back in the day. My gut feeling is that it was more of a preference than anything else.

Which is fine, but with Winks, Skipp, Harvey White, Amos....we seem to be producing a lot of players who fit the mould of 'small/wiry, tenacious, neat, central midfielder'. Maybe expanding our network and picking up talented youth players will diversify our output.

Mmhmm. I wonder how much the departure of McDermott as head of the academy has to do with it, though - towards the end of his tenure here, it seemed almost our MO to avoid signing talented youngsters, in favour of developing our own locally-based players. Of course, with exceptions like Parrott and Shilow Tracey, but we seemed to have a lower proportion of buys/poached youngsters in our youth teams than our rivals did/do.

Could just be Levy cheaping out again, but I don't think so - he was okay with speculative punts like Iago Falque and Souleymane Coulibaly back in the day. My gut feeling is that it was more of a preference than anything else.

Which is fine, but with Winks, Skipp, Harvey White, Amos....we seem to be producing a lot of players who fit the mould of 'small/wiry, tenacious, neat, central midfielder'. Maybe expanding our network and picking up talented youth players will diversify our output.
That’s a coaching drive now
In England we seem to excel at creating safe CMs and attacking wide players

That’s a coaching drive now
In England we seem to excel at creating safe CMs and attacking wide players

The predominant formation in England (and most of Europe) requires technically proficient central midfielders who can hold position and keep possession.

The predominant formation in England (and most of Europe) requires technically proficient central midfielders who can hold position and keep possession.
I e ways felt England has never been particularly good at producing players with real flair and creativity. Of course there are the occasional players but on the whole it seems other nations (let's say France for example) are more consistent in developing high quality inventive players.

I e ways felt England has never been particularly good at producing players with real flair and creativity. Of course there are the occasional players but on the whole it seems other nations (let's say France for example) are more consistent in developing high quality inventive players.

The really good ones are few and far between. I also think that the youth set up here now means that you don't get many street footballers.

The really good ones are few and far between. I also think that the youth set up here now means that you don't get many street footballers.
That’s a key
Anyone half decent is in some regime or another
And kids stop playing on the streets now anyway
It’s different in other countries IMO
But also France for example uses Clairfontaine as a central hub (well it did but i don’t know anymore), whereas we use the club structure (we did have Lilleshall and St George’s is very different I hear)

In true Danny Rose style I gave Kim Min-Jae a google. Then I wondered if he played in a friendly I was at in 2018 - Northern Ireland 2 South Korea 1. He did indeed and scored an OG for what was our equaliser. #sexy! :D

In truth I can't remember if Kim was good, bad or indifferent. It was a friendly and a beer day, plus I only had eyes for Sonny and some beautiful South Korean babes in the crowd. :)

So:

Kim: £15m
Castagne: £15m
Hojbjerg: £25m
Milik: £25m

Total of £80m spent (though £55m if you dont believe we'll get Milik or another CF)

KWP: £5m
Rose: £10m
CCV: £2m
Aurier: £15m
Foyth: £10m (though I'd keep him as Castagne's back-up, otherwise we have Tanganga covering both full-back positions)
Total: £42m

...means a net spend of £38m. Not sure that I see Levy spending that much this summer

Unless the net spend is zero, it’s not happening

Unless the net spend is zero, it’s not happening

..which is why Ndombele could be more at-risk than is generally being let-on. I wouldn't mind moving him on to generate funds, tbh.

Also, some of @AdamB's estimates are probably on the low side. KWP's excellent form for Soton means we could just do a straight swap with Hojberg - that's 20m off the difference right there, instead of 5m vs 25m.

..which is why Ndombele could be more at-risk than is generally being let-on. I wouldn't mind moving him on to generate funds, tbh.

Also, some of @AdamB's estimates are probably on the low side. KWP's excellent form for Soton means we could just do a straight swap with Hojberg - that's 20m off the difference right there, instead of 5m vs 25m.
You’re living in a dream world if you think Southampton are going to value their captain up until he said he wanted to leave the same as a guy who has played a handful of games at RB for them....

Back