• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Plans

Any where in Bucks really and yeah I think it will be a good move!

Sending the kids to grammar was a shift enough!! I think it is fair to say that once you have kids, and you do a bit better in life (job/house etc..) that you naturally become economically a bit more to the right. It is natural and human. I will try and fight it though!
I didn’t think that they had grammar school in Bedfordshire? Or are your kids already communting to Bucks, as I remember when I was a teenager that lots of my classmates would get bus down from Milton Keynes to our grammar school.

I didn’t think that they had grammar school in Bedfordshire? Or are your kids already communting to Bucks, as I remember when I was a teenager that lots of my classmates would get bus down from Milton Keynes to our grammar school.
No grammars near me, but loads of private schools

No grammars near me, but loads of private schools
One of my former classmates taught at a private school in your neck of the woods but then got offered a pay rise to become department head at a comprehensive back in Bucks and he’s been shocked how poorly motivated the pupils are let alone how disruptive their parents tend to be.

One of my former classmates taught at a private school in your neck of the woods but then got offered a pay rise to become department head at a comprehensive back in Bucks and he’s been shocked how poorly motivated the pupils are let alone how disruptive their parents tend to be.
TBF if I was paying £30k a year and more for my kid to go school I’d want exemplary behaviour

TBF if I was paying £30k a year and more for my kid to go school I’d want exemplary behaviour
We got that in our non fee paying grammar school, which I suppose is why comprehensive has proved to be such a shock to him.

Guess things are less bad in counties where there’s no grammar schools to cherry pick the academically inclined families who aren’t quite wealthy enough to send their children to private school, as sounds like this comprehensive he’s now teaching in is full of kids who have about about as much ambition as Spurs teams during the doldrums of the 1990s.

Commuting to Bucks mate. It's worth it as we don't have decent schools without fees round here. The boys did great in their 11 plus exams to get in.

Most people who work for me can't.

What people miss when claiming they can do their jobs from home is the extra time cost of managing them. It takes significantly more time to manage people working from home than it does those in the office next door.

I'm glad I don't work for you, *hates people who micro-manage others*.

If people did things right all the time they'd be managed less!
Sounds like more attention needs to be given to employing grown ups and letting them do their jobs?

I always found if you treat people like children, they act like children.

Employ good people, treat them with respect and make them feel valued, and they will over perform for you - without the ‘extra time cost of managing them’.

(As long as you’ve communicated clearly what your expectations are of course)

I'm glad I don't work for you, *hates people who micro-manage others*.
Surely you find all the best trustworthy and quality performers are always drawn towards companies where they can be sure they won’t be trusted and are managed by a strict set of kpi’s and overbearing micro-management?

“Hey, I absolutely love being micromanaged! Always work somewhere where I know I’ll get that 24*7” said all the best employees. nowhere, ever.

Sounds like more attention needs to be given to employing grown ups and letting them do their jobs?

I always found if you treat people like children, they act like children.

Employ good people, treat them with respect and make them feel valued, and they will over perform for you - without the ‘extra time cost of managing them’.

(As long as you’ve communicated clearly what your expectations are of course)
I do all that, unfortunately it's impossible to employ people as good as me. That's why they need my guidance.

I'm looking forward to deciding my pace of life from a standing start.
I was doing stuff 6/7 nights a week and letting FOMO dictate my choices.
I've really enjoyed lockdown and like doing not much.

With foreign looking problematic for a few years I'm going to try and explore the UK. And hopefully (as soon as my torn ankle ligaments heal) do some hiking.

Surely if you’re that great, then your amazing training skills shouldn’t find it an issue to easily make them competent enough to be allowed to work from home.
I can't train. I don't have the patience for people who can't keep up and I absolutely cannot abide stupid people. I outsource all of that stuff.

I can't train. I don't have the patience for people who can't keep up and I absolutely cannot abide stupid people. I outsource all of that stuff.

2 tips then:
Get some training (or help!) so you can address your weaknesses in both patience and in training.

Get some training on your recruitment problem, so you stop hiring stupid people who can’t be trained.

You’re welcome.

Back