• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs in UCL if league is scrapped?

I think it all depends on what the alternative are

from most social media I’ve seen most fans are appalled at the thought of starting again soon

most would like the league scrapped and void so clubs can focus on a solution for next season

the only ones saying it HAS to be played are Leeds and Liverpool fans

People I'm in touch with are of the thought that a mini tournament in the summer would go some way to replacing the Euros but we don't know what is possible and what isn't. I can only speak for myself as I'm not putting the time in to take an average of opinion by each club's fanbase on social media. I imagine that if Liverpool were granted the title without having to finish the league their fans wouldn't be too disappointed. As for Leeds, I have no idea what their situation is whatsoever, my only interest in the championship apart from casual viewing once in a while is for Nottingham Forest to get out of that league to back where they should be!

I just don't think it's correct to say that only the media and the ones who will profit would want the league to finish. Anyone who likes to see things finished that have been started would be in favour of it when the time is right surely?

Leagues already finished afaic and any attempt at continuing it on will garner little to no interest from myself. Football being resumed is one of the last things on my mind atm

I'm not suggesting that it should be rushed or have any element of risk to the players, fans, staff, absolutely anyone involved. So if we were able to complete the season without that risk you wouldn't have any interest in following Spurs completion of the season? I know it's been a rough one but keep a bit of faith mate!!! ;)

I hope neither of my posts seem too ignorant, I've been living in a bit of a bubble and avoiding the news of late. I'm not trying to suggest what has happened is anything less than catastrophic and requires a lot of time / planning to remedy but it doesn't change my love of my club or the want to see things out properly as nice as it would be to sweep this trainwreck of a season under the carpet.

People I'm in touch with are of the thought that a mini tournament in the summer would go some way to replacing the Euros but we don't know what is possible and what isn't. I can only speak for myself as I'm not putting the time in to take an average of opinion by each club's fanbase on social media. I imagine that if Liverpool were granted the title without having to finish the league their fans wouldn't be too disappointed. As for Leeds, I have no idea what their situation is whatsoever, my only interest in the championship apart from casual viewing once in a while is for Nottingham Forest to get out of that league to back where they should be!

I just don't think it's correct to say that only the media and the ones who will profit would want the league to finish. Anyone who likes to see things finished that have been started would be in favour of it when the time is right surely?

I'm not suggesting that it should be rushed or have any element of risk to the players, fans, staff, absolutely anyone involved. So if we were able to complete the season without that risk you wouldn't have any interest in following Spurs completion of the season? I know it's been a rough one but keep a bit of faith mate!!! ;)

I hope neither of my posts seem too ignorant, I've been living in a bit of a bubble and avoiding the news of late. I'm not trying to suggest what has happened is anything less than catastrophic and requires a lot of time / planning to remedy but it doesn't change my love of my club or the want to see things out properly as nice as it would be to sweep this trainwreck of a season under the carpet.
I just can’t see any travel across countries happening anytime soon and every league should focus on their own needs and country

the whole focus is all about money money and money except for Pool where it’s about the title

I’d love them not to win it as I hate them but they have earned that win this season

it’s why I’ve suggested give them the title, and promote the top championship two and so on across the pro leagues
Do not relegate anyone
Fix the leagues at the end of the next one
Don’t play ANY European football next season and use that time to play the extra games needed

that way no one suffers other than UEFA who have more money than sense and don’t care about anyone themselves

Yeah right now i feel like any attempt to complete the last 10 games or so of a season after such a long break would just hold no interest - mutliply that exponentially if it's to be played behind closed doors. it's too long of a gap and too small of a run of fixtures to care about. Either write the season off or call it as it stands then start afresh.

Yeah right now i feel like any attempt to complete the last 10 games or so of a season after such a long break would just hold no interest - mutliply that exponentially if it's to be played behind closed doors. it's too long of a gap and too small of a run of fixtures to care about. Either write the season off or call it as it stands then start afresh.

Fair enough mate, I guess it's an agree to disagree thing. In my opinion, whenever football restarts (whether it's to resume the season or to start the next one) there's going to be huge interest. Initially there'll be some tweets about how football has changed forever and a half arsed bbc article about a fan who had a season ticket at evil conglomerate FC that has turned their back on it and now follows the transgender janitor amateur team just down the rode for the true passion but it'll be back to normal soon enough.

I think we're underrating what the sport aspect offootball is as a form of entertainment. I don't watch it to get a feeling of how the crowd react on the annoying cut aways to a group of blokes, some scratching their balls and others thinking about what they'll have for tea tonight. People out there actually quite enjoy the sport itself so if there are no fans present granted it'll be odd, but there'll still be massive interest.

I just can’t see any travel across countries happening anytime soon and every league should focus on their own needs and country

the whole focus is all about money money and money except for Pool where it’s about the title

I’d love them not to win it as I hate them but they have earned that win this season

it’s why I’ve suggested give them the title, and promote the top championship two and so on across the pro leagues
Do not relegate anyone
Fix the leagues at the end of the next one
Don’t play ANY European football next season and use that time to play the extra games needed

that way no one suffers other than UEFA who have more money than sense and don’t care about anyone themselves

Oh yeah I'm not saying we'll see European football anytime soon.

Again though, the bolded point....My focus is wanting to see Spurs play and that doesn't revolve around money as I am not a gambling man, it's an investment of another sort where I just want to see it come to a natural conclusion. I understand the longer there is a delay the more potential issues there are and a bigger delay for the next season to start.

Only promotions and no relegations is an interesting idea. There may be a great deal of bitterness from those one point off, they could even have had a game in hand on those above them. It's a minefield any way they go with it, I'm quite glad I'm not involved in the decision making process. We all know how easy it is to sit back and criticise but there's so many potential issues that could either be immediately apparent or come way down the line. It is because of this I think I understand the calling the league off now approach because at least we know that it is certain.

Oh yeah I'm not saying we'll see European football anytime soon.

Again though, the bolded point....My focus is wanting to see Spurs play and that doesn't revolve around money as I am not a gambling man, it's an investment of another sort where I just want to see it come to a natural conclusion. I understand the longer there is a delay the more potential issues there are and a bigger delay for the next season to start.

Only promotions and no relegations is an interesting idea. There may be a great deal of bitterness from those one point off, they could even have had a game in hand on those above them. It's a minefield any way they go with it, I'm quite glad I'm not involved in the decision making process. We all know how easy it is to sit back and criticise but there's so many potential issues that could either be immediately apparent or come way down the line. It is because of this I think I understand the calling the league off now approach because at least we know that it is certain.
Bitterness will happen regardless

it’s interesting (sarcastic) that clubs are now open to playing in neutral venues if no relegation ....

It sadly slowly descending into farce.
I'm guessing we (SPURS) will not come out of this in good financial shape but we will not be alone.

I'm guessing we (SPURS) will not come out of this in good financial shape but we will not be alone.
We really won’t be alone
The thing that will hurt is more than others is the lack of owner investment to subsidise everything
Pretty sure we’re the only top side where the owners put in sweet fa

We really won’t be alone
The thing that will hurt is more than others is the lack of owner investment to subsidise everything
Pretty sure we’re the only top side where the owners put in sweet fa

surely any money put in to cover will be subject to FFP?

We are an unusual case because the club budget will surely have factored in more external items than most - which will have been slammed by the pandemic.
Thinking about concerts, NFL, and other sporting events.

We are an unusual case because the club budget will surely have factored in more external items than most - which will have been slammed by the pandemic.
Thinking about concerts, NFL, and other sporting events.
And that was secured revenue
It’s quite scary the impact we will have as it will be at least 3 seasons before the ground gets fully utilised form it’s opening which is mental

If football was still an amateur sport, we wouldn’t have this discussion. I'm sure even if this was the 80s, the season would've been ended a long time ago.

If anyone other than Pool was in the #1 spot the season would have been called a month ago.

Holland, France, etc. will all make their decisions, the FA is still bricking the bed because they are afraid of upsetting the media darlings ..

Legally it remains pretty much impossible to call the season based on current results
- You have teams with different numbers of games played that would influence europe/relegation positions
- Pool "could" be caught
- Relegation teams will not "accept" (3 points for Villa's game in hand would get them out of relegation zone) current state.
- Huge argument in if the teams had played who? more or less against top 6, more or less home or away?

Said before, two options that appear feasable

- Cancel, null and void, reset to start of last season. Legally probably easiest to defend due to incumbent position having been earned via a full season
- Continue it until the end and shorten/fudge up next season. Still open to some legalities as promoted sides will complain against not getting full season revenue but you could probably compensate them

At the end of the day it’s an industry that wants to get back to generating cash as soon as possible.
Clubs at threat of relegation probably as much to lose by playing the games as going down, hence this new caveat to reusing proceedings without relegation. Even in normal circumstances there would be teams that are subject to unfortunate or fortunate timing, playing teams post CL, playing a team that has won the league and is resting players for cups etc etc.
Be interesting to see how concerned players are if they are directly impacted by the extended financial hit the clubs would take by not completing the season. We’ve also seen examples of players flouting lockdown already and a couple who have had no concerns about extended physical contact outside their family group and exchange of fluids without a Covid test in advance.

If anyone other than Pool was in the #1 spot the season would have been called a month ago.

Holland, France, etc. will all make their decisions, the FA is still bricking the bed because they are afraid of upsetting the media darlings ..

Legally it remains pretty much impossible to call the season based on current results
- You have teams with different numbers of games played that would influence europe/relegation positions
- Pool "could" be caught
- Relegation teams will not "accept" (3 points for Villa's game in hand would get them out of relegation zone) current state.
- Huge argument in if the teams had played who? more or less against top 6, more or less home or away?

Said before, two options that appear feasable

- Cancel, null and void, reset to start of last season. Legally probably easiest to defend due to incumbent position having been earned via a full season
- Continue it until the end and shorten/fudge up next season. Still open to some legalities as promoted sides will complain against not getting full season revenue but you could probably compensate them
I'm sorry but it has nothing to do with Liverpool. It would be the same no matter who was in Liverpool's position.

The competitions in France and the Netherlands were postponed because the Government took the action for them. If our government takes the same decision then that would free up our football governing bodies to make the same decision.

I cant see why you would have no relegation but still promote teams? Where did that proposal come from? Why is it ok to say Leeds can come up (even when they could still be caught) but then not say Team x has to go down? It's also not fair on the other divisions that scrapped everything.
Makes no sense to me.
Just cancel the season for the whole league pyramid (from PL down) until things calm down a bit and take this time to regroup and plan what's best for football going forward next season.

Is it fair to say there will be no CL or Europa next season now? In that case I am happy to write this season off.

I cant see why you would have no relegation but still promote teams? Where did that proposal come from? Why is it ok to say Leeds can come up (even when they could still be caught) but then not say Team x has to go down? It's also not fair on the other divisions that scrapped everything.
Makes no sense to me.
Just cancel the season for the whole league pyramid (from PL down) until things calm down a bit and take this time to regroup and plan what's best for football going forward next season.

The proposal came from a number of the clubs threatened with relegation. They were not happy about having to play at neutral venues and losing their home advantage - but would agree to it if there were to be no relegation.

Back