• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

The Chief Medical Officer said yesterday that he thinks there are 10,000 people currently infected in the UK. With a 14 day incubation period, that might be an underestimate.

I guess hopefully that’s the case, as would mean the mortality rate is [currently] much lower than assumed.

I guess hopefully that’s the case, as would mean the mortality rate is [currently] much lower than assumed.

No it wouldn't. The higher number includes people who currently display no symptoms and are unaware that they have it. You'd expect 100 deaths from that group.

And I think 10,000 as an estimation could be too few. The 'direction of travel' from the government seemed to be, how will we try and protect the elderly and the NHS. There is no chance to contain the virus. The cat is out the bag. They expect 80% to get it. It spreads easily and for most healthy people there are few symptoms. For the young, almost none.

I think it is a fair assertion that the mortality rate is far far lower than the testing data suggests. To me, it would appear that morality is significantly lower than 1%. Most people won't move into 'phase 2' of the virus where there can be complications. Thus, older people should not stress themselves, tire themselves out, must eat healthy food, wash hands and keep clear of lots of people.

I think it is a fair assertion that the mortality rate is far far lower than the testing data suggests. To me, it would appear that morality is significantly lower than 1%. Most people won't move into 'phase 2' of the virus where there can be complications.
I think we can all agree on that.

There is no chance to contain the virus.

That's not true, other countries have.

I think it is a fair assertion that the mortality rate is far far lower than the testing data suggests. To me, it would appear that morality is significantly lower than 1%.

The mortality rate has come from actual deaths not testing. I think that you are right that the number of people reported to have the disease is probably under reported but you do not know how many will die of it until all those that currently have it have either recovered or died.

Most people won't move into 'phase 2' of the virus where there can be complications.

There is no phase two, some people have more severe symptoms than others, particularly the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.

Thus, older people should not stress themselves, tire themselves out, must eat healthy food, wash hands and keep clear of lots of people.

Everyone needs to take action to reduce the risk to those most at risk. The more widespread the disease, the more at risk they are.

What are people on here doing in their lives?
I ask because I'm at work & my wife has called in a panic as she's spoken to her brother who has decided to self isolate (take kid out of school etc) despite having no sign of symptoms & not knowing anyone who does. I'm a relatively BAU type of person anyway but am I being careless?

The Chief Medical Officer said yesterday that he thinks there are 10,000 people currently infected in the UK. With a 14 day incubation period, that might be an underestimate.
Jeremy Hunt said the same.
Not sure how I feel now.

Actually, to be fair, I do think he has the interests of the NHS at heart. Don't like his approach or general politics, but he doesn't seem like the type to irresponsibly politicise health

Back