• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Remind me how many times Poch has walked out on us? This must be the 10th time he has said he's doing so now :rolleyes:

Remind me how many times I've said he's leaving us before?

And also how is that the barometer? Leaving is a dichotomous outcome, you either leave or you don't. It isn't something Poch will do to us multiple times, just like if Levy ever fired him, it would be a one off occurrence.

Remind me how many times I've said he's leaving us before?

And also how is that the barometer? Leaving is a dichotomous outcome, you either leave or you don't. It isn't something Poch will do to us multiple times, just like if Levy ever fired him, it would be a one off occurrence.

That was the point... we've had plenty of these instances where apparently he has said in plain terms he is leaving, either in general or for another club and yet each and every time it has not been the case and he's still here. This is no different - there are always quotes of an ambiguous nature from Poch and the worst case scenario never comes to fruition so i don't know why people continue to believe the worst every time.

Was a general comment rather than solely directed at you btw

I'd need to know who would replace Poch before answering that.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fbb7d6e2e-fd25-11e7-aa1c-071921b42336.jpg

I'd take Poch staying, winning one CL isn't enough, I want us to win loads of them, we need to keep improving and I think he's the best person for the job.
I know what you're saying but there are no guarantees in football - We've never won it before, and to simply win it once would be sensational. Even if he stays, other Euro giants will awaken once again, other clubs will emerge and we might not get another opportunity like this one. I'm also far from convinced Poch will be here for more than a few more seasons anyway and in that case how many CL finals are we going to get to?! And we are in a position now where even if Poch did leave we could attract other top managers, top players etc and we could have the same sort of opportunities. I love Poch and dont want him to leave, but I would take the trophy....

It's the last game in a long season, of course he's going to go home.

Where is home though - Argentina or Barcelona?

His book suggests the latter, though he speaks about his sadness of about not spending enough time with his parents and brothers and on his ranch

Has anyone seen this Spanish interview with Poch...

https://elpais.com/deportes/2019/05/07/actualidad/1557228527_084904.amp.html

Some fascinating stuff in there if you can be bothered to take the time to translate it all. Regarding tactics, last years Real interest, players looking to leave last summer. Worth taking the time to read. Far more comfortable and open giving interviews in Spanish thats for sure!!

Last edited:
Hs anyone seen this Spanish interview with Poch...

https://elpais.com/deportes/2019/05/07/actualidad/1557228527_084904.amp.html

Some fascinating stuff in there if you can be bothered to take the time to translate it. Regarding tactics, last years Real interest, players looking to leave last summer. Worth taking the time to read. Far more comfortable and open giving interviews in Spanish thats for sure!!

Sensationally good interview. Should be required reading that.

For anyone that requires reassurance:

Q.
How does it feel to reject offers from clubs like Madrid?

R. The situation was difficult. The dream of every coach was at stake: to lead the biggest teams that exist. And you must say no. That is tremendous. It generates a conflict. Because you know that if a coach wants to leave, he leaves. But I had just signed a renewal with Tottenham. And I felt that I could not do anything. Daniel Levy [the president of Tottenham] did not accept the offers to free me and if they ask me to break the contract I can not accept it because I can not behave like that. If my president thinks I'm going to continue, I'm not going to be scared. Those are not my values. Why is it going to be good for a club to sign a coach who violates his commitments?

I'm not sure whether this post is best here or in the Ajax thread so I've stuck it in both. Mods, please delete one of them if you so wish...

Facebook has just reminded me that, 7 years ago last weekend, I was at the Camp Nou watching Pep's last home game as Barcelona manager. It was a 4-0 win over Espanyol with Messi getting all four. That included two soft penalties and many equally soft fouls.

My mates and I wanted to see Pep's great tiki-taka Barcelona side before he left and things changed. We were in awe. The stadium, the history, one of Europe's greatest ever club sides. Living a dream that was unattainable for my beloved Tottenham.

Seven years on and Barcelona aren't some side to be feared. In fact, I was hoping they'd win last night (or at least not get beaten 4-0!) as I felt that they'd be an easier opponent in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL.

I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, but the opposition manager on that heady evening was a certain Mauricio Pochettino, in what turned out to be his last full season at Espanyol.

No matter what happens tonight, that same Mauricio Pochettino has led us on one hell of a journey, and one hell of a season. Our bedraggled, knackered, injured squad go into the final rounds of the season absolutely dead on their feet. But can they come up with a couple of last desperate knockout blows?

Believe. That's what I'm saying. Remember this quote. Whether it really came from Bill Nich or Danny Blanchflower doesn't matter, but it hasn't been often in my time as a supporter that it's actually rung true:
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

Only under Pochettino have we actually been able to set our sights high enough that failure will have in it that echo of glory.

Glory, Glory, Tottenham Hotspur. COYS.

For anyone that requires reassurance:

Q.
How does it feel to reject offers from clubs like Madrid?

R. The situation was difficult. The dream of every coach was at stake: to lead the biggest teams that exist. And you must say no. That is tremendous. It generates a conflict. Because you know that if a coach wants to leave, he leaves. But I had just signed a renewal with Tottenham. And I felt that I could not do anything. Daniel Levy [the president of Tottenham] did not accept the offers to free me and if they ask me to break the contract I can not accept it because I can not behave like that. If my president thinks I'm going to continue, I'm not going to be scared. Those are not my values. Why is it going to be good for a club to sign a coach who violates his commitments?

Got a manager that stuck with us despite being approached by the biggest club in the game and there are supporters ready to cast him aside a year later...

Sensationally good interview. Should be required reading that.
"Barcelona, Madrid, City ... They do not have time and, by dint of shortening deadlines with money, they only have to win: if a soccer player does not help me, I bring another one. It is completely different. Maybe one day I'll be in charge of something like that and maybe I'll win something that way. But those projects driven with money at full speed run the risk of remaining empty. Without anything else. What is Tottenham? What is our pride as a technical team? That a goalkeeper like Hugo Lloris, who has adapted to our philosophy, that we have improved it, that he has worked, and that a year ago he won the World Cup, comes one day and says: "Boss, your World Cup is here". And it is there. Your World Cup is there! That he comes and brings it to me and says: "there you have it". Which trophy can give you a greater satisfaction? There is not! There is nothing bigger than seeing a world champion, captain of France, lifting the Cup and instead of having it in his house, bring it to me!"

Back