• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Zaha

Martial has one but it's a year out of date:
C1vASv6XUAExe7R

Bailey, however, makes Zaha look like the Ginger Pele:
DSOwfw_W4AE-UFe
The point has been repeatedly explained that Zahas biggest asset is his running with the ball at pace and how he takes defenders out of the game. This is crucial when coming up against teams who park the bus, something we consistently struggle against. And your stats show Zaha has superior successful dribbles to either of them. Also bear in mind Zaha is playing for an inferior club, with the supply line, better forward movement, better coaching at Spurs he could easily up his game a level....

What? Most of his sub performances were really very promising. Even when we were being beaten, he was usually a shinging light when called upon.

Agree. I think people underestimate how tough it is to get thrown on in games and perform well for the odd 15 or 20 mins.Especially when you’re not yet used to the league/English football. I think he done perfectly well with room for improvement after a full pre season and maybe a run of starts.

Perhaps the other two are better passers so don't need to dribble past players as much?

Someone posted Townsends dribbling stats for Spurs and they were similar to Zahas at Palace, 4 completed a game iirc - i don't recall him making much of an impact on games by being such a good dribbler because he'd mostly squander the ball whenever he beat his men, this would be highlighted by his shooting and creativity numbers, something which Zahas numbers also show (Zaha has similar creativity to Townsend at Palace too so the lack of ability in his team mates goes both ways there)

If you want to brush that off that's your perogative, but there's enough there to be concerned with afaic

That said it is a fair argument that playing alongside better players should see him have better options to pass to/more space in which to operate and hopefully that'd be true of him - but we are banking on him making those steps up in several areas of his game in order to be a succesful signing, which for the money is a bit if a punt/risk really

Last edited:
Perhaps the other two are better passers so don't need to dribble past players as much?

Someone posted Townsends dribbling stats for Spurs and they were similar to Zahas at Palace, 4 completed a game iirc - i don't recall him making much of an impact on games by being such a good dribbler because he'd mostly squander the ball whenever he beat his men, this would be highlighted by his shooting and creativity numbers, something which Zahas numbers also show (Zaha has similar creativity to Townsend at Palace too so the lack of ability in his team mates goes both ways there)

If you want to brush that off that's your perogative, but there's enough there to be concerned with afaic
Again that’s the point though, we already have enough creative passers in our team (and Martial doesn’t strike me as a passer anyway). I’m not someone who holds too much weight in stats (something that isnt popular in today’s world I know) and the fact that you’re saying Townsend has similar stats to Zaha supports my view on that. Zaha is a far better player than Townsend, how many clubs would rather sign Townsend? And all clubs have the stats aswell as their own eyes. Like I previously said Zaha consistently has two or three defenders around him, Townsend doesn’t....

Again that’s the point though, we already have enough creative passers in our team (and Martial doesn’t strike me as a passer anyway). I’m not someone who holds too much weight in stats (something that isnt popular in today’s world I know) and the fact that you’re saying Townsend has similar stats to Zaha supports my view on that. Zaha is a far better player than Townsend, how many clubs would rather sign Townsend? And all clubs have the stats aswell as their own eyes. Like I previously said Zaha consistently has two or three defenders around him, Townsend doesn’t....

Zaha wouldn't have 2 or 3 players around him at Spurs either nor any other player we sign for the WF positions - so the talking point for me is what will he do with the ball in terms of productivity, we know he's able to dance through defenders, that's something he should continue to do were he in our team but in order for that to be an asset he needs to be able to create too and/or have a good short passing game - something he hasn't really shown, so that's where the gamble/concern is.

We know Townsend isn't up to our level in terms of creativity but he's more creative for Palace than Zaha is, despite all their play going through him...

Last edited:
Zaha wouldn't have 2 or 3 players around him at Spurs either nor any other player we sign for the WF positions - so the talking point for me is what will he do with the ball in terms of productivity, we know he's able to dance through defenders, that's something he should continue to do were he in our team but in order for that to be an asset he needs to be able to create too and/or have a good short passing game - something he hasn't really shown, so that's where the gamble/concern is
He wouldn’t have as many defenders around him so id hope his numbers would improve? I think he’d be more of an asset because he can beat players directly through skill. So even with a defence that defends deep he still causes chaos because he doesn’t just rely on his pace to get in behind. But we shall see,that’s just my take on him from what I’ve seen past couple of seasons....

Why buy a much poorer player for tens of millions though, when we could just sell Nkoudou, or promote Whiteman over Gazzaniga etc

If there is any truth in the rumours linking us to Zaha, it is presumably because Poch thinks that he will be more useful this season than Whiteman or Gazzaniga.

The point has been repeatedly explained that Zahas biggest asset is his running with the ball at pace and how he takes defenders out of the game. This is crucial when coming up against teams who park the bus, something we consistently struggle against. And your stats show Zaha has superior successful dribbles to either of them. Also bear in mind Zaha is playing for an inferior club, with the supply line, better forward movement, better coaching at Spurs he could easily up his game a level....
That's why we use OP key passes instead of assists.

The graph is very clear - he's a good dribbler with little end product. I still think he'd be a great upgrade on Sissoko or Llorente, but anyone who thinks he'll be getting first team minutes without some kind of fire sale or injury crisis is mistaken

Poch has wanted him for a few years. Now the home grown thing is a plus point for the squad

That's how I see it too. He offers something different from our other forwards and as Scara says, would be an upgrade on Sissoko.

If we are to let loose £50m+ I'd personally prefer a midfielder. Son, Moura even Lamela offer a similar thing to Zaha. Yes Zaha is bigger faster and on his day impossible to defend against. But I think we should invest in other areas if Zaha costs a fortune. Pulsic, Modric, Bale...all hard to prise away but would prefer spunking big bucks on them than Zaha. Or another quality alternative. Zaha is quality don't get wrong, but not different enough to what we have already imo.

That's why we use OP key passes instead of assists.

The graph is very clear - he's a good dribbler with little end product. I still think he'd be a great upgrade on Sissoko or Llorente, but anyone who thinks he'll be getting first team minutes without some kind of fire sale or injury crisis is mistaken
A guy who Poch has targeted for at least a couple of years and would cost around 70m is only going to get minutes when there’s an injury crisis? Good luck with that prediction....

Maybe we could pretend that we are tying to build a squad with strength in depth, particularly as we will be competing in four competitions. The fact that we have the one, would not mean we cannot utilise the other. the stronger our squad is the more likely when the season gets going and we have to play 5 league and cup matches in 14 or 15 days we will be able to worry less about which players we need to rest.

I for one think that the weakness in our overall squad strength has been an impediment to us winning a cup competition
Aside from the fact they play predominantly on opposite flanks and aren't really in competition

Apparently pictures can paint a thousand words.

This one just says "meh"

Nope, the picture says "meh" a thousand times ;)

Zaha is not my cup of tea, I like intelligent players that make cunning runs and cute passes and score goals, rather than take-on-merchants.

He is good at taking people on, I'll give him that, he just isn't my style of player, like Bolasie before him.

Back