• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

YOUR England 23 man World cup squad

Re: England 23 man World cup squad

Could an Andros - Theo inverted winger attack work?

Theo has always been described as running in straight lines - perhaps a stint on the left would change his game?

Could an Andros - Theo inverted winger attack work?

Theo has always been described as running in straight lines - perhaps a stint on the left would change his game?
His wing experience at Saints was actually more on the left than on the right in fact. I was surprised to see him move to RW>

My team would be based on ball retention and penetration down the flanks.

Hart
Jagielka and Cahill
Cole and Walker
Baines and Townsend down the flanks (Baines is both tidy and can cross)
Wheelchair and Carrick in the middle
Rooney and Welbeck up front

Gerrard and Lampard, Walcott and the like can come on later on when the game is stretched out and we have maybe taken some legs out of the oppositon.

Goalkeepers: Hart, Ruddy, Foster

Defenders: Walker, Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Baines, Cole

Midfielders: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Gerrard, Carrick, Wheelchair, Milner, Henderson, Townsend, Morrison

Fowards: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck

------------------------Hart-------------------------

Johnson--------Cahill----------Smalling-----------Cole

-----------------------Jones------------------------

--------------Carrick----------Wheelchair--------------

Oxlade-Chamberlain--------------------------Welbeck

------------------------Rooney---------------------

Out of possession:

--------------------Hart-------------------

Johnson-----Cahill----------Smalling----Cole

Ox-Chamb---Jones--------Carrick----Welbeck

------------------Wheelchair------------------

--------------------Rooney-----------------

_______________(halfway line)____________

In possession:

-----Cahill------------------------Smalling---
_______________(halfway line)____________

-------------------Jones--------------------

--------------------------Carrick------------

Johnson----Wheelchair---------Rooney-------Cole

_______________(penalty area)________________

-----Ox-Chamberlain-------------Welbeck------

The idea being a compact 4-4-1-1 when not in possession, but a more complicated system when in possession, namely:

1) the two centre backs out wide with Jones slightly ahead of them in the middle, forming a triangle of mainly defensive players,

2) Carrick as the deeper 'prompter' a little ahead of Jones, recycling possession from midway in the opponents' half and pinging accurate long passes to over-lapping full backs,

3)Wheelchair as the playmaker, hovering in front of Carrick and a little ahead of the penalty area,

4)Rooney as the false nine, dropping deep to Wheelchair's area to receive possession from Wheelchair/Carrick,

5) Johnson and Cole as overlapping full-backs, trying to stretch the play by remaining on the touchline out wide and focused more on attacking than defending (due to the Jones-Smalling-Cahill triumvirate behind them),

6) Chamberlain and Welbeck as inside forwards cutting into the central positions vacated by Rooney in expectation of a lofted through ball or a chance to tee up either Rooney or Wheelchair advancing from deep.

This system is based heavily on movement, team cohesion and both relentless pressing and efficient ball distribution under pressure: hence, it is more theoretical than practical considering the side's current limitations. Still, one can dream.

------------------------Hart-------------------------

Walker-----------Cahill--------Jagielka---------Baines

------------------Carrick----Wheelchair-----------------

----Townsend----------Gerrard-------------Sturridge

------------------------Rooney---------------------

Possession is key in today's game and especially in Brazil where it will be ridiculously hot so no one will want to be chasing the ball down all game, so for me Carrick and Wheelchair are the most comfortable in possession so they'd start in the centre, they are also out of all the current crop the most likely to construct anything half decent.

Defence is a bit sh!te, also not too sure about the left wing but have stuck Sturridge on the left due to recent form, although granted he has been playing up front this season.

Glad I am not the only one who had put Morrison in my team, think he'd be a great wildcard, obviously has ridiculously good ability, it's just his attitude that is a worry.

Seriously? England have a better squad than we do for a start.

I think he's talking more about the team and how they play, but then they weaken a lot of other teams so it's a strange sentence from GB.

i think england may go out in the first round, 1 or maybe 2 world class players

We have a hideous lack of talent in this country.

Agree - the one world class player we have is Rooney, and even that's a marginal call. The defence is weak, the midfield lacks creativity and we don't have a top class goalscorer. Add to that that we don't have a settled team or embedded system which the team are used to, and we don't really have a chance

Yet the media will have everyone believe that its pretty much 50/50 whether we win the thing!!

Realistically, if you played this world cup with current squads 100 times then Brazil, Argie, Spain and Germany would win about 90 of them. That leaves 10 for England, Italy, Holland, Belgium, France, Chile and all the others combined. So we have about a 1% chance

Agree - the one world class player we have is Rooney, and even that's a marginal call. The defence is weak, the midfield lacks creativity and we don't have a top class goalscorer. Add to that that we don't have a settled team or embedded system which the team are used to, and we don't really have a chance

Yet the media will have everyone believe that its pretty much 50/50 whether we win the thing!!

Realistically, if you played this world cup with current squads 100 times then Brazil, Argie, Spain and Germany would win about 90 of them. That leaves 10 for England, Italy, Holland, Belgium, France, Chile and all the others combined. So we have about a 1% chance

Sells papers and makes the inevitable fall that much harder, guaranteeing even better sales figures.

Which media outlets are you referring to exactly?

As a foreigner (living in England tho), if anything, the English seem far too pessimistic. England are regarded as one of the football powerhouses throughout the world, and to me it seems as if no-one in England is giving them any chance of winning whatsoever.

The fact of the matter is, the world cup is a short cup competition. Even if you look at the domestic cups in recent years, we have seen the likes of wigan, swansea, bradford etc go very far. Internationally, since 2002, we have seen Turkey reach the semi-finals of major tournaments twice, russia once, korea once and greece also once. With a bit of luck, there's absolutely no reason why a team with the players that England have cannot go and win the whole thing.

One thing that really highlights how much people over think international tournaments is the success of German teams since Euro 2000. There was supposedly a catastrophe in german football after their failure in euro 2000, and as a result, they overhauled their "footballing structure". Thus, leading to all those great players in WC2010. This "theory" seemingly makes good sense, however, if i remember correctly, in 2002, they reached the final on the worldcup, only 2 years after the Euro 2000 failure. And between 2000 and 2010, they have done relatively well too. In my opinion, the likes of Klinsmann have basically overstated the importance of the "football revolution" and their roles in it for their own benefits. In reality, i highly doubt how much of an impact that the "revolution" actually had. Countries like Germany, England, France, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina etc are football powerhouses and will therefore always produce players despite what the likes of Klinsmann would like to have you think.

- Hart, Forster, Foster

- Walker, Johnson, Baines, Shaw, Cahill, Jagielka, Dawson, Jones

- Gerrard, Carrick, Barkley, Lallana, Lampard, Townsend, Walcott, Morrison

- Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Defoe

Hart

Walker - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines

Gerrard - Carrick

Sturridge - Barkley - Townsend

Rooney​

LOL

Name your World Cup squad now

If you were naming your 23 man squad now, who would you take?

I'm going to work with what we have fit right now and also gamble on Terry throwing his hat in in the near future.

-----------------Hart-----------------
Johnson----Cahill----Terry------Baines
---------------Carrick-----------------
Townsend--Wheelchair--Rooney---Llalana-
---------------Sturridge---------------

So long as Rooney works hard making up the numbers in defence, I think that would work nicely. Carrick will be able to play some nice passes out from that position, and we can work space for Llalana, Wheelchair and Rooney to run into. Townsend is an out ball when needed, he'll be useful for some quick counters.

Squad
----------

- Hart, Forster, Foster

- Walker, Johnson, Baines, Gibbs, Cahill, Jagielka, Terry, Jones

- Gerrard, Carrick, Barkley, Lallana, Milner, Townsend, Wheelchair, Oxlade Chamberlain

- Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Rodriguez

Edit: Cheers neymar sorted it

Last edited:
Cochise, you need to drop one of the midfielders from your final 23 man. You seem to have forgotten Wheelchair (although you have him in your eleven).

I've changed my mind since i started this thread:

Goalkeepers
Hart, Foster, Ruddy

Full Backs
Johnson, Walker, Shaw, Baines

Centre Backs
Cahill, Terry, Jones, Jagielka

Wingers/wide midfielders
Sterling, Townsend, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Centre Midfield
Gerrard, Carrick, Henderson, Barkley, Wheelchair

Strikers
Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Carroll

So Cole, Walcott, Lampard and Defoe out and Shaw, Sterling, Henderson and Carroll in.

Pace, pace, pace, pace and more pace, go at teams hell for leather...

Sterling, Townsend, Sturridge, Henderson, Ox, Walker all have bags of pace

Barkley, Gerrard, Rooney, Llanana for the creative spark and fantastic set piece delivery too

You never know it may not be as bad as we all have felt at times

Back