• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

YOU are the manager

You know something, you could even teach them from a fooking chalkboard, 'You stand there, you run there' it's hardly rocket science. Erikson's corners were woeful against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. It comes to something when supposedly one of the brightest young talents in Europe can't beat the first defender with a corner. It's no wonder we get frustrated having to watch stuff like that.

Absolutely agree.

And even put a man in front of the first defender for this eventuality, which seems to be a recurring theme no matter who takes the corner for us.

Last edited:
So - are you really saying an extra half an hour practicing corners will impact on players fitness? Really?

No, not at all.

I'm saying that if we're doing an extra half hour, and we're spending it practicing corners, then that's half hour that can't be spent practicing passing the ball.

No, not at all.

I'm saying that if we're doing an extra half hour, and we're spending it practicing corners, then that's half hour that can't be spent practicing passing the ball.

But ..you have just agreed that this is an EXTRA half an hour. It would therefore NOT impact on practicing passing the ball!

Don't you recall players like Beckham and Bale spending hours after training practicing free-kicks? How does this fit in with your "finite time" definition?

I'd like to see us mix it up from corners, play it short to change the angle of delivery. Of course that relies on a decent cross from someone.

But ..you have just agreed that this is an EXTRA half an hour. It would therefore NOT impact on practicing passing the ball!

Don't you recall players like Beckham and Bale spending hours after training practicing free-kicks? How does this fit in with your "finite time" definition?

But you've agreed that extra half hour, the players are staying on, so if you spend it practicing corners, then you can't spend it practicing passing.

And are you seriously trying to tell me that the time between two other points in time isn't finite?

Corners are a source of goals for other teams but seemingly not for us. As most of our games end in such narrow srorelines, just a few more goals from corners would make a significant difference to our points total. At this moment in time, is there any other aspect of our play that should have a higher priority? We get several of these every game, it really shouldn't be beyond the wit of our coaching staff to devise several different options that would increase our conversion rate from corners. Just why are we so poor at this?

But you've agreed that extra half hour, the players are staying on, so if you spend it practicing corners, then you can't spend it practicing passing.

And are you seriously trying to tell me that the time between two other points in time isn't finite?

One of us has difficulty understanding the meaning of the word "extra". If you are arguing that we only have time to train between 2pm and 5pm, then an EXTRA thirty minutes would be between 5pm and 5.30pm. It would therefore NOT impact on other training requirements.

There isn't much in the goals scored from set pieces last season stats. There's a big group in the middle with a goal or two difference and we are slap bang in the middle of it.

Goals from set pieces 2012/13

Manchester United 22
Norwich 17
Chelsea 15
Stoke 15
Emirates Marketing Project 14
Wigan 13
Reading 13
West Ham 12
Arsenal 12
Liverpool 11
Sunderland 11
Tottenham 10
Everton 10
Aston Villa 10
West Bromwich Albion 9
Fulham 8
Southampton 8
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 6
Queens Park Rangers 6
Swansea 5

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

There isn't much in the goals scored from set pieces last season stats. There's a big group in the middle with a goal or two difference and we are slap bang in the middle of it.

Goals from set pieces 2012/13

Manchester United 22
Norwich 17
Chelsea 15
Stoke 15
Emirates Marketing Project 14
Wigan 13
Reading 13
West Ham 12
Arsenal 12
Liverpool 11
Sunderland 11
Tottenham 10
Everton 10
Aston Villa 10
West Bromwich Albion 9
Fulham 8
Southampton 8
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 6
Queens Park Rangers 6
Swansea 5

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

These are goals from set pieces not corners. A significant number of our set piece goals came from Bales blockbusters.

From the stat in the Corners thread, we scored a grand total of three goals from corners last season ( compared to Man U's 15 ) and apparently haven't scored from our last 68 ( and counting) in the PL.

Last edited:
These are goals from set pieces not corners. A significant number of our set piece goals came from Bales blockbusters.

From the stat in the Corners thread, we scored a grand total of three goals from corners last season ( compared to Man U's 15 ) and apparently haven't scored from our last 68 ( and counting) in the PL.

Five according to table below (which was published before the end of last season) but again appart from ManU there is not a huge difference and we are in the middle of the pack.

article-2311576-19621A79000005DC-121_306x377.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Saudi Sportswashing Machine-United-worst.html

Five according to table below (which was published before the end of last season) but again appart from ManU there is not a huge difference and we are in the middle of the pack.

View attachment 1700

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Saudi Sportswashing Machine-United-worst.html

Who can name the five goals we supposedly scored from corners last season?

Time to play the midfield combo that works, bring someone who can hold the ball up, up top. Bring our creative talents in and get some natural width. I'd start with this versus City and I'd be practising movement and combination play all the time in training:

.............................Adebayor
Townsend..............................................Lamela
...............................Eriksen

.................Dembele..............Sandro

Vertonghen......Chriches......Dawson...........Walker

.................................Lloris

Time to play the midfield combo that works, bring someone who can hold the ball up, up top. Bring our creative talents in and get some natural width. I'd start with this versus City and I'd be practising movement and combination play all the time in training:

.............................Adebayor
Townsend..............................................Lamela
...............................Eriksen

.................Dembele..............Sandro

Vertonghen......Chriches......Dawson...........Walker

.................................Lloris

Defoe started against WHam.

IMO Ade should start against City.

Defoe started against WHam.

IMO Ade should start against City.

What's your team and how would you deploy them?
BTW, I am an Ade fan (as many noted last season) like yourself, but I am absolutely sure he will have no part in our season at this rate...

I think that the average fan over estimates the number of goals scored from free kicks and corners. Because we don't pay as much attention to other teams as we do our own, it can appear that other teams do better than ours.

I suspect if you talked to fans of other clubs (apart from ManU) they would think that their club under performs in this area too.

This is why I think that it is important to actually look at the stats and see whether your perception is correct.

I think that the average fan over estimates the number of goals scored from free kicks and corners. Because we don't pay as much attention to other teams as we do our own, it can appear that other teams do better than ours.

I suspect if you talked to fans of other clubs (apart from ManU) they would think that their club under performs in this area too.

This is why I think that it is important to actually look at the stats and see whether your perception is correct.

1-it doesnt matter what other clubs do

2- its not just about scoring goals from corners/set pieces thats an issue. Its the fact that our set pieces are on the whole poorly executed, time after time, we dont look remotely near to being dangerous from these free kicks. Delivery is poor, movement in the box almost non existent. No variety, no intelligent plays

What's your team and how would you deploy them?
BTW, I am an Ade fan (as many noted last season) like yourself, but I am absolutely sure he will have no part in our season at this rate...

Weren't you giving me some grief when I said this earlier in the season?

To have ANY chance of appearing for us again, Ade must

1.show a genuine desire to play for us once again
2. train like he really wants to play again not sit on his **** and just collect his dosh
3. make up with manager and do whatever he asks
4. stop whinging in the press
5. At the age of 29, he should grow up

Is this likely? Not if past experience is anything to go by.

FWIW, I think Ade MK1 could still do a job for us. Otherwise we should sell in Jan and get in a younger version. We need this type of option up front, either to play with or instead of Soldado.

1-it doesnt matter what other clubs do

2- its not just about scoring goals from corners/set pieces thats an issue. Its the fact that our set pieces are on the whole poorly executed, time after time, we dont look remotely near to being dangerous from these free kicks. Delivery is poor, movement in the box almost non existent. No variety, no intelligent plays

This and this.

Back