• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

YOU are the manager

Sandro is the first name on the teamsheet with Lloris for me. Right now, I think dropping him is asking for a loss.
Was just about to reply the same! The team starts with lloris in goal, Sandro cm and Vertongen somewhere in the back line, the rest is very much up for grabs. Walker an easy choice at RB as well I guess.

Or unsurprising that after the money we've spent so recently some of the players that have had more time to settle in are amongst the most important?

We've seen quite a few players take some time to get up to their best. At this point last season Lloris had no more than a handful of PL games, at this point in Sandro's first season he hadn't been on the pitch yet apart from in one League Cup game iirc.

Most of the new signings have shown real quality in patches, but they've been inconsistent.

Great points.

I think that it would be very surprising if we did no preparation for set pieces.

I also think that the same people complaining that we aren't gelling yet and then suggesting we use valuable training time practicing corners should make their minds up.

Three points I would change

1. Stop playing Dembele as a deep laying player.. forget that ****. He has been sussed out with his little tap and skip past players.

2. Stop changing the squad for EPL games, choose your best team and stick with it..

3. We need to stop playing with wingers and bring the fullbacks forward thus bringing in more triangle capable players in field.

I am jealous at the way Liverpool are playing right now. Watch them, see how the fullbacks are playing on the linesman.

To think, when I spoke up and said how it was pretty clear what Rogers was trying to do there last season, many laughed and thus that ludicrous thread continued unabated!

With regards to the FBs, you have to say that if he had Rose then this wouldn't be an issue (we can only speculate why he did not keep BAE who, for me, would be excellent right now and, as such, goes down as a mistake on AVB's part IMO)…

Anyway…onwards and in the spirit of the thread, here's my team for Emirates Marketing Project!

Lloris

Walker Kaboul Dawson Verts

Sandro

Lennon Paulinho Holtby Lamela

Soldado

subs: Friedel, Townsend, Kane, Sigurdsson, Defoe, Chriches, Dembele

I think a pairing of Younes and Daws is vital for the physicality of players like Dzeko and Negredo...Sandro mops up/kees things tight, Holtby is our Freundy space invader/harrasser, Paulinho can hopefully break into the box and support on the counter, Lamela can do likewise…given that the Paulinho/Holtby centre axis is not bristling with invention BUT is full of energy, his wil be about keeping it tight and hitting on a classic counter-attack…final note. Lamela and Lennon to flip…effectively, this becomes a 4-3-3 of sorts, and the onus is on Lennon and Lamela to get in and support Soldado…oh how I wish we had a fit pacy LB/BAE was still at the club...

I think we will win this one.

To think, when I spoke up and said how it was pretty clear what Rogers was trying to do there last season, many laughed and thus that ludicrous thread continued unabated!

With regards to the FBs, you have to say that if he had Rose then this wouldn't be an issue (we can only speculate why he did not keep BAE who, for me, would be excellent right now and, as such, goes down as a mistake on AVB's part IMO)…

Anyway…onwards and in the spirit of the thread, here's my team for Emirates Marketing Project!

Lloris

Walker Kaboul Dawson Verts

Sandro

Lennon Paulinho Holtby Lamela

Soldado

subs: Friedel, Townsend, Kane, Sigurdsson, Defoe, Chriches, Dembele

I think a pairing of Younes and Daws is vital for the physicality of players like Dzeko and Negredo...Sandro mops up/kees things tight, Holtby is our Freundy space invader/harrasser, Paulinho can hopefully break into the box and support on the counter, Lamela can do likewise…given that the Paulinho/Holtby centre axis is not bristling with invention BUT is full of energy, his wil be about keeping it tight and hitting on a classic counter-attack…final note. Lamela and Lennon to flip…effectively, this becomes a 4-3-3 of sorts, and the onus is on Lennon and Lamela to get in and support Soldado…oh how I wish we had a fit pacy LB/BAE was still at the club...

I think we will win this one.

You would drop Eriksen all together?

You would drop Eriksen all together?

Personally, right now, yes. I also don't appear to have room on the bench for Chadli or Capoue, which surprises me as I rate Capoue highly…i think Christian needs to toughen up mentally for the Prem personally…having said that, I just saw a post which claimed he created 9 assists at the weekend. not sure what that stat means, as we failed to score! Yup, I'd take the unpopular route and give the boy a rest/wide birth for Emirates Marketing Project…who'd be a manager eh? ;-)

I also think that the same people complaining that we aren't gelling yet and then suggesting we use valuable training time practicing corners should make their minds up.

Seems even stranger to me that we can't do both at the same time.

i think this is a great thread and am hopeful more will respond with what they would do against Emirates Marketing Project!

against City

.......................Lloris
Walker....Dawson....Kaboul.....Vertonghen
................Sandro...Capoue
Lennon...............................Townsend
...............Lamela...Soldado

Seems even stranger to me that we can't do both at the same time.

Well one's playing quick passes along the floor and beating defenders, the other is lobbing the ball in from 30 yards away.

You can't do both at the same time.

Well one's playing quick passes along the floor and beating defenders, the other is lobbing the ball in from 30 yards away.

You can't do both at the same time.

an hour to practice passing moves, and half an hour to practice set pieces? too much for overpaid and under-worked footballers??

an hour to practice passing moves, and half an hour to practice set pieces? too much for overpaid and under-worked footballers??

Not at all. My point was that any time spent practicing corners would be time not spent practicing attacking passing.

Not at all. My point was that any time spent practicing corners would be time not spent practicing attacking passing.

You (and others to be fair) seem to think there is a finite time to practice and that we have to choose either to practice playmaking OR corners. First, there is not a finite time, so it is not a zero sum game. Second, it is perfectly feasible to practice both. Obviously, not at the same time! We are desperately in need of improvement in both area.

You (and others to be fair) seem to think there is a finite time to practice and that we have to choose either to practice playmaking OR corners. First, there is not a finite time, so it is not a zero sum game. Second, it is perfectly feasible to practice both. Obviously, not at the same time! We are desperately in need of improvement in both area.

There is a finite time to practice - it's the maximum amount of training we can do before our players' fitness/morale take a dip (yes, you can over-train). Even ignoring that and the need to sleep, the time between two points in time (assuming gravity and speed are fairly constant) is finite.

So any of that time spent practicing corners is, by definition, time not spent practicing attacking passing movements.

My Team for City (assuming Chiriches is injured but Rose is back and Townsend fully recovered from his wrist injury)

Lloris

Walker
Kaboul
Verts
Rose

Sandro
Capoue/Holtby

Townsend
Eriksen
Lamela

Soldado

I think we need to start this with a high energy, high pressing tempo. Capoue or Holtby bring us real energy higher up the park. Sandro would patrol in front of the back four to enable the full backs to bomb on. Lamela, Eriksen and Townsend would continuously swop positions to thwart any city game plan for Townsend. Lennon and Paulie would be impact subs to bring on against tiring defenders. Sorted.

There is a finite time to practice - it's the maximum amount of training we can do before our players' fitness/morale take a dip (yes, you can over-train). Even ignoring that and the need to sleep, the time between two points in time (assuming gravity and speed are fairly constant) is finite.

So any of that time spent practicing corners is, by definition, time not spent practicing attacking passing movements.

So - are you really saying an extra half an hour practicing corners will impact on players fitness? Really?

So - are you really saying an extra half an hour practicing corners will impact on players fitness? Really?

You know something, you could even teach them from a fooking chalkboard, 'You stand there, you run there' it's hardly rocket science. Erikson's corners were woeful against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. It comes to something when supposedly one of the brightest young talents in Europe can't beat the first defender with a corner. It's no wonder we get frustrated having to watch stuff like that.

Back