• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Willian

I thought Willian was the other key player for them Sunday, besides clamy...the more I think about it, the more negative and boring they were...

I think there is a bit of a misconception about how average they were, or at least its overstated. I agree its not a thing of beauty and it would appear they often don't get out of first gear (although you often feel that they could if need be). But they have won a lot of games that way, and they will continue to do so, with opponents subsequently feeling and wondering that 'Hey, they weren't all that'. And, its by design. They are very well coached and they know exactly what they are doing. Pursuant to that, both management and players are very much on the same page. Obviously they spend a lot of money on players, but you still need to get them to play disciplined and buy into a system, and they do.

I think there is a bit of a misconception about how average they were, or at least its overstated. I agree its not a thing of beauty and it would appear they often don't get out of first gear (although you often feel that they could if need be). But they have won a lot of games that way, and they will continue to do so, with opponents subsequently feeling and wondering that 'Hey, they weren't all that'. And, its by design. They are very well coached and they know exactly what they are doing. Pursuant to that, both management and players are very much on the same page. Obviously they spend a lot of money on players, but you still need to get them to play disciplined and buy into a system, and they do.

I understand all that mate, what I don't understand is people's attraction to it. They played with 5 defenders deployed in a way which negated any consciously attacking football on their part, and set up to hit on the break. You can talk about good organization but a greater truth would be how JM worked the referee and links from a week prior. It came to fruition, as Costa got away with three things in the first 10 mins that all were yellow-card offences and Ramires went for 7 fouls before his first yellow, following it with another yellow carder which never got given. They parked the bus and got every big decision.

Back