• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wilfried Bony

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Benteke??

I really don't think a cumbersome powerhouse will suit Poch's style at all. We need a smart, quick player to be on the right wavelength for Eriksen's throughballs, as that's the main source of our creativity.

Old-fashion target men aren't much use when you have as much possession as we typically do.

That's one of the reasons I think Rodriguez is the missing piece of our striking trio - he has the work ethic to match Kane and Soldado, as well as bringing the pace and directness which complements their different styles.

So is his work ethic good or not?

So is his work ethic good or not?

Very

I know what you are getting at, but I do think Soldado works hard. But he also knows he's the CF and he has responsibility to keep his position

A criticism of Kane could be that he chases the ball too much (a bit like Holtby and even vdV did). It was actually frustrating last night that he was making challenges at LB, followed by crosses from RW, when there was a big gap at CF (that Eriksen was half-heartedly filling because he didn't want to be up there either).

I would be happy with Jay Rod assuming he's over his injury. Works hard, is quick so offers a threat in behind, good height/build, scores goals and should settle in quickly. My only reservations are that he's mainly played as an inside left forward type for the past 18 months, whether he can replicate that in a central role I don't know, I know that's where he was signed to play but it didn't work out for him(although that was largely pre-Poch), the other is that I don't know how much he's going to offer against teams who sit back as his game is very much about off the ball running and getting onto the end of moves. Bony ticks a lot of boxes but I don't know if he fits into a high energy pressing game, I have similar feelings towards Benteke although if we could get him doing this regularly then he'd be perfect -

QuickSarcasticAngora.gif

I really don't think a cumbersome powerhouse will suit Poch's style at all. We need a smart, quick player to be on the right wavelength for Eriksen's throughballs, as that's the main source of our creativity.

Old-fashion target men aren't much use when you have as much possession as we typically do.
I don't see Benteke as being cumbersome at all. Yes he is big and powerful but I think he also has good touch, awareness and movement. I don't think it's particularly fair to label Benteke as an "old fashioned target man" as he offers much more than that.

I don't see Benteke as being cumbersome at all. Yes he is big and powerful but I think he also has good touch, awareness and movement. I don't think it's particularly fair to label Benteke as an "old fashioned target man" as he offers much more than that.

Agreed. I don't think a cumbersome player would have done what Benteke did in the gif posted by Rossi.

Not entirely sure about his work rate and how he will fit in to our pressing style, but whenever I've seen him play he puts a lot of effort in.

I would be happy with Jay Rod assuming he's over his injury. Works hard, is quick so offers a threat in behind, good height/build, scores goals and should settle in quickly. My only reservations are that he's mainly played as an inside left forward type for the past 18 months, whether he can replicate that in a central role I don't know, I know that's where he was signed to play but it didn't work out for him(although that was largely pre-Poch), the other is that I don't know how much he's going to offer against teams who sit back as his game is very much about off the ball running and getting onto the end of moves. Bony ticks a lot of boxes but I don't know if he fits into a high energy pressing game, I have similar feelings towards Benteke although if we could get him doing this regularly then he'd be perfect -

QuickSarcasticAngora.gif

I think part of the attraction of Rodriguez is that he can play LWF, as well as CF.

I'd actually start him there more often than not (in place of a Chadli/Lamela/Townsend), with Eriksen central. Pace and goals from one flank, with a bit more guile on the other one, and the intelligence of Kane or Soldado at CF.

I'd also use Rodriguez at CF when we aren't dominating and want to be able to hit teams on the break more.

Rodriguez, Kane and Soldado would give a nice balance up top and also versatility and a lot of complementary options.

I'm not convinced. He's not as bad as Carroll or Lukaku, but he's still a long way to go on his technique to be a complete CF in the Van Persie/Cavani/Falcao mould

I'm not convinced. He's not as bad as Carroll or Lukaku, but he's still a long way to go on his technique to be a complete CF in the Van Persie/Cavani/Falcao mould

I think we can afford to gamble on Premier League proven talent even if they are a little rough around the edges like Benteke is.

I think we can afford to gamble on Premier League proven talent even if they are a little rough around the edges like Benteke is.

Agreed. We can't afford the wages of one of the types that GB talks about, nor could we attract them to the club currently. Benteke is about as good as it would get for us unless we got very lucky indeed with a less proven player (an Icardi or Mitrovic type perhaps?). Also I'm not yet completely convinced that Cavani would be successful in the Premier League.

And he has been dining off that ever since.

Not when he did the same with the likes of De Rossi, Cassano, Marquinho, Pjanic, Walter Samuel and Marcelo too.

His record at uncovering gems in their teens is one of the reasons I'm quite excited about his 3 under the radar signings from last summer - Azzaoui, Yahaya and Lazar

Not when he did the same with the likes of De Rossi, Cassano, Marquinho, Pjanic, Walter Samuel and Marcelo too.

His record at uncovering gems in their teens is one of the reasons I'm quite excited about his 3 under the radar signings from last summer - Azzaoui, Yahaya and Lazar

ok good point. and in an area where there's less hard stats and more gut feel. are those 3 guys featured in the youth thread on here ? must make it a point to watch them more.

ok good point. and in an area where there's less hard stats and more gut feel. are those 3 guys featured in the youth thread on here ? must make it a point to watch them more.

Azzaoui really is. Seems like he's consistently mentioned as a standout player in reports from the u18 games. Still only 16.

Some issues with Yahaya and a work permit or something, hasn't featured in any official youth games from what I've seen at least, but supposedly very highly rated.

Don't think Lazar has made the step up to u18 yet, at least not regularly. But only 15.

Azzaoui is a year older, so is in the first year of the academy. He scored an impressive hattrick the other day.

Yahaya and Lazar weren't old enough to sign pro contracts, but should move properly into the academy next year. Yahaya is supposed to be one of the most highly-rated young players in the world.

Yahaya won't be able to play an official game until he gets a work permit - which isn't until next December. Technically he doesn't belong to us until then.

We've come on leaps and bounds with regard the youth; I remember getting excited by the emergence of Alton Thelwell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back