• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Why are we such a pushover against the top sides?

I truly think these current players themselves have no self-belief that they can go and beat the top teams. Some of them look beaten before they take to the pitch, in the tunnel before the Anfield drubbing last season, half of them looked beaten even before the early own goal.
And as suggested in the OT, the way the players trudged back onto the pitch for the 2nd half yesterday, they look uninterested, I might be going OTT but I want to see my team running out of that tunnel at HT, pumped up, Managers words ringing in their ears, eager to get back into the action and put things right.
At no point in that 2nd half was I confident we could grab a goal let alone a draw.

We need another Rafa-type characther back in the squad that can urge the team on and lead by example

Some good points there

1. I've been going every week for the last 15 years and the main thing for me is that we dont have a leader.. At the moment when the chips are down we tend to just loose the plot. There's nobody telling others to pull their socks up and keep their heads up. The mentally is also v poor and has been since we bought the latest crop of players in last summer, none of them seem to care much about the Spurs shirt, not much fight.

2. Spine of the team. Looking at Lloris, Bentaleb/Capoue and Ade down the middle it currently doesnt fill me with solidality. Even Lloris yesterday started to panic and make strange decisions.

3. Centre midfield - We were like power puffs yesterday, cant remember many tackles and were out played. Sandro needs to come back in asap. We so miss his intensity and his desire translates to others. Perhaps he's not the best passer but he brings so much more, and when he plays our win percentage is so mch higher without him

4. When we had Modric he would control the game and tempo, he's never been replaced. Big error not buying Juan Moutinho few years ago as a replacement! We still could try and buy Miralem Pjanic who is top draw and would fill that role.

I think Poch knows we are weak in centre midfield hence the moves for Schneiderlin all summer and now he's bought Stambouli. Shame we didnt get Schneiderlin, i think we should have broke the bank.

A few comments

- Lloris, Holtby and Lamela care ... unfortunately we are getting rid of one
- I disagree with breaking the bank for MS, and here's why ..
- We need that player, yes, MS would have filled a role, but he isn't/won't be Modric/Moutinho/Pjanic. I much prefer we get Poch settled in and next window/summer we break the back for a player worth breaking the bank for in that role.

A few comments

- Lloris, Holtby and Lamela care ... unfortunately we are getting rid of one
- I disagree with breaking the bank for MS, and here's why ..
- We need that player, yes, MS would have filled a role, but he isn't/won't be Modric/Moutinho/Pjanic. I much prefer we get Poch settled in and next window/summer we break the back for a player worth breaking the bank for in that role.

% likelihood that player next window/ summer is Schneiderlin.

99%

I think in games like yesterday we are going to have to start using Paulinho instead of Eriksen as the #10 - switch more to 4-3-3.
Couldn't believe how poor Eriksen was yesterday, followed closely by Lamela and Chadli. That 3 certainly isnt the answer against the better teams, flat track bullies!

Better strikers would also help. Dunno why Eriksen is always spacegoated every time we suffer a heavy defeat. Might wanna look at the terrible defence. Would ANY of our defenders get in the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea's sides? Hell even Everton?

You're correct but you cant blame Capoue and Bentaleb.
The lost midfield because they were outnumbered 3 to 2.
They hadnt a chance. Also Liverpool had Sterling in between the lines which one of them had to pick up too.

Yep. No platform to build off really. Yesterday's match was crying out for a change to three in the middle. We also needed to kick Sterling, hard, a few times. Take a yellow if you have to.

This is a good thread but the real reason we get beaten by the top teams is money. All the bollox about what a great coach LVG is and basically Utd have just gone out and blitzed everyone in the transfer market.

Yep. No platform to build off really. Yesterday's match was crying out for a change to three in the middle. We also needed to kick Sterling, hard, a few times. Take a yellow if you have to.

This is a good thread but the real reason we get beaten by the top teams is money. All the bollox about what a great coach LVG is and basically Utd have just gone out and blitzed everyone in the transfer market.

And United still won't win the title this season.

Btw, can you imagine the media field day if we had signed LVG and got the exact same results they have had to this point?

We lose CM.

Last time we looked good against them (AVB's first season) - Sandro and Dembele went toe-to-toe with them. Bentaleb (great prospect though he is) and Capoue, get overrun in these sorts of games - they aren't combatative enough

I just think we are poor at defending. As soon as anyone attacks us we pretty much concede. We dominate most other games

A combination of the two above. Our defenders are substantially worse in terms of defending ability than their attackers are in terms of attacking ability. Kaboul looked completely bedazzled by the movement of Sterling and Sturridge yesterday. The only way to counteract that is to win the midfield battle and control possession and the tempo of the game, which we failed at also.

And United still won't win the title this season.

Btw, can you imagine the media field day if we had signed LVG and got the exact same results they have had to this point?
We'd all be going full retread at this point.

They may not win the title but with those players only an imbecile wouldn't be able to turn around their poor start to the season. Football is mostly about the quality of players and that correlates closely to the club finances.

Big error not buying Juan Moutinho few years ago as a replacement

Interesting tonight, watching Phil Neville and Danny Murphy on the red button on BBC

They say that Everton looked hard at Moutinho and then Spurs did, but he isn't all that good and had a rubbish year at Monaco, even going so far as to say he is a luxury player and not good enough to spend big money on.

I think we react badly to pressure whether from the opposition or our own fans. Pressure makes even a good player useless and perhaps not having strong players/leaders to get us through the hard times has cost us. Against Liverpool, how many shots did we actually take and how much meaningless passing around did we do. Nobody wanted to take responsibility to make something happen.

With top players like Modric and Bale, they demanded the ball all the time and were always available for a pass. We don't have that type of player and top teams sense that, press our defence and we either give away the ball or get caught in possession. Obviously, this happens against poor teams too, you just get punished more by better players.

And also a simple reality that the opposition have much better players who sometimes we don't recognize.

One theory i have is that we always play attacking football, taking the game to them whilst naively leaving ourselves relatively open at the back, whereas lesser sides adopt a more realistic approach and park the bus, hoping to get something on the break.

This .

Tony Pullis managing Spurs perhaps would do better against the bigger teams , but then we'd have to suffer our opponents having 75% possession. We'd also probably have to suffer more against the lesser sides where our over reliance on counter attacking football would not help us much.

Interesting tonight, watching Phil Neville and Danny Murphy on the red button on BBC

They say that Everton looked hard at Moutinho and then Spurs did, but he isn't all that good and had a rubbish year at Monaco, even going so far as to say he is a luxury player and not good enough to spend big money on.

I have to agree from what I've seen. Overrated.

I think we react badly to pressure whether from the opposition or our own fans. Pressure makes even a good player useless and perhaps not having strong players/leaders to get us through the hard times has cost us. Against Liverpool, how many shots did we actually take and how much meaningless passing around did we do. Nobody wanted to take responsibility to make something happen.

With top players like Modric and Bale, they demanded the ball all the time and were always available for a pass. We don't have that type of player and top teams sense that, press our defence and we either give away the ball or get caught in possession. Obviously, this happens against poor teams too, you just get punished more by better players.

And also a simple reality that the opposition have much better players who sometimes we don't recognize.

Good post . For example on Sunday , if we had Sterling and Sturridge, in for say Chadli and Adybayor , still 0-3 ?

Whilst some good and valid points have been made in this thread I do think we are being awfully dismissive of our players' abilities and that of our coach based on that Liverpool game. Poch hasn't had anywhere near long enough to get the players to perform to both the style and standard he wants and I think you will see a big difference in performances between our first and second half of the season. The Liverpool game just came too soon unfortunately, but come the end of the season I dont think we'll be too far behind them....

It's a combination of a lot of things mentioned above, but then also pure chance and the freakish nature of the way things pan out.

For example for last seasons 5-0 home reverse against Liverpool, for all we weren't at the races and they ruthlessly exposed that, it really didn't help that our horrific injury problems reduced us to playing midfielders in defence against the league's most dangerous attack.

Football goes in cycles and I think we'll have a better record against the better teams this season. We were already better against Liverpool than both games last season very early on into the new manager's reign.

I'd also point out that a lot of the 'tighter' games between top sides are ending up in heavily skewed scorelines these days.

This is because so many top sides these days are coached and drilled to be lethal on the counter-attack. It means even the best teams if they go a goal-down can be ruthlessly exposed as they come out to try and chase the game.

Look at City v Liverpool this season, for example. The game started out as a sparring contest, both teams probing for weakness without making any headway. If anything I thought Liverpool were edging the possession and looking the more likely, but then City made the break-through out of nothing. Liverpool opened up to chase the game and were just brutally punished on the counter and ended up on the end of a hiding in what was up till the first goal a very even game.

Its different when a good side is playing a bad side (for example us in the Europa game last week) as a bad side doesn't come out and chase the game when 1-0 down to a good side, as their remit is damage limitation and that never seems to change, therefore the counter attacking opportunities to really put a side to the sword often only come near the very end of games gainst stubborn, well-organised, poorer teams, that will take being 1 or 2-0 down going into the last 10 minutes before having a last go of things.

Also against the big boys , we have to take your chances with only their goalkeeper to beat . We had two on Sunday. Immediately after they had scored their first, Ade lobbed over and then Chadli's chance to equalise on the stroke of half time, but his shot was straight at their goalkeeper.

The outcomes of moments like these, change mentalities both positive and negative.

Although the point of this thread was that we seem more inclined to collapse against the big boys than most, it remains true we cannot hope to match them for sheer quality. Just been doing a bit of checking and found that of players who were rated in the top 50 from the Guardian's World Top 100 last season, City currently have 4, United 4, Chelsea 3, Arsenal 2, Liverpool 1, Tottenham none.

We do have Vertonghen, Paulinho and Lloris, all of whom were just outside the top 50, but would any of them even get near the top 100 right now? Maybe Lloris, but certainly not the other two.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...st-footballers-top-100-list-2013-lionel-messi

Name
Position
Club
Nationality
Age at Dec 20 2013
11Lionel MessiForwardBarcelonaArgentina26
22Cristiano RonaldoForwardReal MadridPortugal28
35Zlatan IbrahimovicForwardPSGSweden32
428Franck RiberyMidfielderBayern MunichFrance30
54Andres IniestaMidfielderBarcelonaSpain29
613NeymarForwardBarcelonaBrazil21
740Gareth BaleMidfielderReal MadridWales24
83XaviMidfielderBarcelonaSpain33
921Luis SuarezForwardLiverpoolUruguay26
1011Sergio AgueroForwardEmirates Marketing ProjectArgentina25
117Robin van PersieForwardManchester UtdNetherlands30
1217Mesut OzilMidfielderArsenalGermany25
1310Edinson CavaniForwardNapoliUruguay26
1466Arjen RobbenMidfielder/forwardBayern MunichNetherlands29
1525Philipp LahmDefenderBayern MunichGermany30
166Radamel FalcaoForwardAtlético MadridColombia27
1716Thiago SilvaDefenderPSGBrazil29
1870Robert LewandowskiForwardBorussia DortmundPoland25
199Yaya ToureMidfielderEmirates Marketing ProjectIvory Coast30
2019Bastian SchweinsteigerMidfielderBayern MunichGermany29
218Andrea PirloMidfielderJuventusItaly34
2229Manuel NeuerGoalkeeperBayern MunichGermany27
2327Marco ReusMidfielder/forwardBorussia DortmundGermany24
2420Gianluigi BuffonGoalkeeperJuventusItaly35
2533Thomas MullerForwardBayern MunichGermany24
2657Arturo VidalMidfielderJuventusChile26
2714Sergio BusquetsMidfielderBarcelonaSpain25
2831Wayne RooneyForwardManchester UtdEngland28
2936Cesc FabregasMidfielderBarcelonaSpain26
3032Juan MataMidfielderChelseaSpain25
31NEFrancesco TottiForwardRomaItaly37
3218David SilvaMidfielderEmirates Marketing ProjectSpain27
3367Mario BalotelliForwardMilanItaly23
3434Mario GötzeMidfielder/forwardBorussia DortmundGermany21
35NEDiego da Silva CostaForwardAtlético MadridBrazil25
3637OscarMidfielderChelseaBrazil22
3715Xabi AlonsoMidfielderReal MadridSpain32
3842Daniele De RossiMidfielderRomaItaly30
3924Gerard PiqueDefenderBarcelonaSpain26
4053Toni KroosMidfielderBayern MunichGermany23
4143Dani AlvesDefenderBarcelonaBrazil30
4223Vincent KompanyDefenderEmirates Marketing ProjectBelgium27
43NEDavid AlabaDefender/MidfielderBayern MunichAustria21
44NEIlkay GündoganMidfielderBorussia DortmundGermany23
4522Sergio RamosDefenderReal MadridSpain27
4648Carlos TevezForwardJuventusArgentina29
47NEThibaut CourtoisGoalkeeperAtlético MadridBelgium21
4877Mario MandzukicForwardBayern MunichCroatia27
49NEAaron RamseyMidfielderArsenalWales22
5079David LuizDefenderChelseaBrazil26
5164Nemanja VidicDefenderManchester UtdSerbia32
52NEAxel WitselMidfielderZenit Saint PetersburgBelgium24
53NEDanteDefenderBayern MunichBrazil30
54NEGiuseppe RossiForwardFiorentinaItaly26
5535Karim BenzemaForwardReal MadridFrance26
56NEGonzalo HiguainStrikerNapoliArgentina26
57NEJan VertonghenDefenderTottenham HotspurBelgium26
5897Marek HamsikMidfielderNapoliSlovakia26
59100PaulinhoMidfielderTottenham HotspurBrazil25
6051MarceloDefenderReal MadridBrazil25
6180Luka ModricMidfielderReal MadridCroatia28
62NEKevin StrootmanMidfielderRomaNetherlands23
6339Javier MascheranoDefender/midfielderBarcelonaArgentina29
64NEHugo LlorisGoalkeeperTottenham HotspurFrance26
6544Petr CechGoalkeeperChelseaCzech Republic31
6645Mats HummelsDefenderBorussia DortmundGermany25
6773Santi CazorlaMidfielderArsenalSpain29
68NEKeisuke HondaMidfielderCSKA MoscowJapan27
69NEVíctor ValdésGoalkeeperBarcelonaSpain31
70NEArda TuranMidfielder/ForwardAtlético MadridTurkey26
71NEFederico MarchettiGoalkeeperLazioItaly30
7247Angel Di MariaMidfielderReal MadridArgentina25
73NEÁlvaro NegredoForwardEmirates Marketing ProjectSpain28
74NELaurent KoscielnyDefenderArsenalFrance28
75NEToby AlderweireldDefenderAtlético MadridBelgium24
76NEMarco VerrattiMidfielderPSGItaly21
77NEPablo ZabaletaDefenderEmirates Marketing ProjectArgentina28
78NEDario ConcaMidfielderGuangzhou EvergrandeArgentina30
7969Pierre-Emerick AubameyangForwardBorussia DortmundGabon24
80NEMichuForwardSwansea CitySpain27
81NEMiralem PjanicMidfielderRomaBosnia-Herzegovina23
82NESamir HandanovicGoalkeeperInterSlovenia29
8354Samuel Eto’oForwardChelseaCameroon32
84NEJuan ZunigaDefenderNapoliColombia28
85NELukasz PiszczekDefenderBorussia DortmundPoland28
86NEMarquinhosDefenderPSGBrazil19
87NEMehdi BenatiaDefenderRomaMorocco26
88NEFrank LampardMidfielderChelseaEngland35
8994Shinji KagawaMidfielderManchester UtdJapan24
90NEKokeMidfielderAtlético MadridSpain21
91NEYohan CabayeMidfielderSaudi Sportswashing Machine UtdFrance27
92NELucas MouraMidfielderPSGBrazil21
93NEBlaise MatuidiMidfielderPSGFrance26
94NEIscoMidfielderReal MadridSpain21
95NEAlexis SánchezForwardBarcelonaChile25
96NEAsmir BegovicGoalkeeperStoke CityBosnia-Herzegovina26
97NEEmmanuel EmenikeForwardFenerbahceNigeria26
98NEBranislav IvanovicDefenderChelseaSerbia29
9998Javi MartinezDefender/midfielderBayern MunichSpain25
10058Eden HazardMidfielderChelseaBelgium22
[h=2]e world's top 100 best footballers 2013[/h] Click heading to sort table. Download this data

Also against the big boys , we have to take your chances with only their goalkeeper to beat . We had two on Sunday. Immediately after they had scored their first, Ade lobbed over and then Chadli's chance to equalise on the stroke of half time, but his shot was straight at their goalkeeper.

The outcomes of moments like these, change mentalities both positive and negative.

Well precisely. The outcomes of games between two good sides often hinge on 'moments'.

Two missed chances by us, then the referee's decision to award IMO a pretty soft penalty to them for 2-0. Once it's 2-0 against a side of the quality of Liverpool you are seriously up against it and always likely to conceed more as you have to throw bodies forward. As it was, the mistake for the 3rd was just one of those things again, a catastrophic error brutally punished.

On another day, it could have been different, but it wasn't and we got well beaten fair and square.

Back