• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who's in and who's out- tactics 2014/2015

Re: Starting 11 for the New season

Out:

Livermore, Carroll, BAE, Lennon, Sig.

In:

Nobody.

-------------------------------------------------lloris/friedel
walker/naughton---------kaboul/dawson----------vert/chriches---------rose/fryers
---------------------------------sandro/dembele---------capoue/bentaleb
---lamela/townsend----------paulinho/chadli----------------eriksen/holtby
------------------------------------------ade/soldado/kane

We took Scott Parker off of a relegated West Ham and look how that improved us. When identifying the right players for any role, it's best to overlook their team and look at the individual.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10858867/Mauricio-Pochettino-ready-to-whip-Tottenham-players-into-shape-with-boot-camp-regime.html

"Pochettino is a famously hard taskmaster and insists that his players undertake double training sessions every day.

His impressive work at Southampton was built on making the team into one of the fittest in the Premier League and introducing a high-intensity pressing game.

Southampton players joked of needing three lungs to work for Pochettino and claimed to be so tired after training that they spent the rest of their days sleeping."

I can't see some of our players being interested in this. The likes of Lennon, Adebayor, Vertonghen and Ekotto.

Then **** them off, I hope our manager has the balls to get rid of any one who is half assing it and not interested. Or just let them train with the U18s.

Something's got to give in the middle of the park. We've just got too many. Also thinking one of Ade or Soldado will go (my bets on Ade with only a year left on his contract) to give Kane a real chance and give Soldado some confidence back by reassuring him that he's our number 1. I also think it will help that Soldado has surely some respect for what Poch has done at Espanyol. Think it will be a quiet summer for buying.

Outs: Livermore, Dembélé, Lennon, Naughton, one of Soldado/Ade, Chadli, Carroll (loan), Pritchard (loan)

Ins: Lovren

Soldado(Kane)
Townsend(Sigg) - Eriksen(Holtby) - Lamela(Townsend/Sigg)
Sandro(Capoue) - Paulinho(Bentaleb)
Rose(Fryers) - Vertonghen(Chiriches) - Lovren(Dawson) - Walker(Fryers)
Lloris(Archer)​

Take a second to look at the age of our squad. Pretty remarkable how Levy has been able to put together this squad who could potentially grow together into something special (as well as demand a decent sell on fee on the process when the time comes). If the Poch can get our defense sorted, and give a guys like Lamela, Soldado, Rose, and Townsend some confidence we might have something pretty special on our hands.

Something's got to give in the middle of the park. We've just got too many. Also thinking one of Ade or Soldado will go (my bets on Ade with only a year left on his contract) to give Kane a real chance and give Soldado some confidence back by reassuring him that he's our number 1. I also think it will help that Soldado has surely some respect for what Poch has done at Espanyol. Think it will be a quiet summer for buying.

Outs: Livermore, Dembélé, Lennon, Naughton, one of Soldado/Ade, Chadli, Carroll (loan), Pritchard (loan)

Ins: Lovren

Soldado(Kane)
Townsend(Sigg) - Eriksen(Holtby) - Lamela(Townsend/Sigg)
Sandro(Capoue) - Paulinho(Bentaleb)
Rose(Fryers) - Vertonghen(Chiriches) - Lovren(Dawson) - Walker(Fryers)
Lloris(Archer)​

Take a second to look at the age of our squad. Pretty remarkable how Levy has been able to put together this squad who could potentially grow together into something special (as well as demand a decent sell on fee on the process when the time comes). If the Poch can get our defense sorted, and give a guys like Lamela, Soldado, Rose, and Townsend some confidence we might have something pretty special on our hands.

Actually quite a good view, I would prioritize the LB purchase over CB, and while I could see one of Ade/Soldado going, can't see it without a replacement. starting a season with 2 strikers, 1 with 3 top tier goals to his name would be a crazy risk.

Also for me, I can't see us keeping Siggy, think Chadli might have more the Poch work ethic.

Actually quite a good view, I would prioritize the LB purchase over CB, and while I could see one of Ade/Soldado going, can't see it without a replacement. starting a season with 2 strikers, 1 with 3 top tier goals to his name would be a crazy risk.

Also for me, I can't see us keeping Siggy, think Chadli might have more the Poch work ethic.

Not sure left-back is as much of a priority as people think, i'd definately prioritise centre-back. From what I've read from Saints fans and journos that follow Southampton, the full-backs are pushed so far forward with Poch that their ability to defend doesn't matter so much as they're not expected to have as much defensive and positional responsibility as traditional full-backs do, due to the solid x2 banks of the centre-backs and x2 holding midfielders.

I think Rose is at his best with license to just constantly bomb up the left wing on the over-lap. So is walker. When they're being pushed back towards our goal and being asked to defend, that's where the problems start.

I think Rose could well flourish next season and Fryers appears to be decent potential-wise too.

one player that i cant see mentioned at all about bringing in is demba-ba.... i think for the price we could get him in at he would be a steal!

him and cole from chelsea for 30 million..... DEAL should be done!

one player that i cant see mentioned at all about bringing in is demba-ba.... i think for the price we could get him in at he would be a steal!

him and cole from chelsea for 30 million..... DEAL should be done!

There is no way we would sign Ba for that kind of money (Cole is a free agent). His knackered knees mean that he cannot pass a medical, which means that he will only sign for a club that can afford to have him uninsured or he will move on for free.

Not sure left-back is as much of a priority as people think, i'd definately prioritise centre-back. From what I've read from Saints fans and journos that follow Southampton, the full-backs are pushed so far forward with Poch that their ability to defend doesn't matter so much as they're not expected to have as much defensive and positional responsibility as traditional full-backs do, due to the solid x2 banks of the centre-backs and x2 holding midfielders.

I think Rose is at his best with license to just constantly bomb up the left wing on the over-lap. So is walker. When they're being pushed back towards our goal and being asked to defend, that's where the problems start.

I think Rose could well flourish next season and Fryers appears to be decent potential-wise too.

Most teams that push their full backs high up the pitch (after splitting their centre backs) depend on full backs that are very good on the ball. As the full backs get higher up the pitch they're more likely to be under pressure and they have to be more involved in play. Not just overlapping runs, but receiving the ball in tight spaces, more often facing their own goal under pressure etc.

Essentially with traditional full backs one path to play the ball out from the back is from the full back (or centre back) up to the winger/wide man that is then asked to turn with the ball or do the more intricate play. When splitting the centre half what more or less replaces that is the ball up from the centre back (or deep midfielder that drops in between the centre backs) up to the full back - often finding himself in a similar position and situation to what the wingers and wide players would in more traditional setups. It's not the overlap you speak of, where I agree Rose is good (although he often lets himself down with his crossing), it's taking part in a higher possession passing game higher up the pitch.

For me, neither Rose or Walker are particularly good at that.

I'm mystified at everyone's faith in Soldado. He was utter pants last season. And yet people still picking him over Ade.

Unreal isn't it?

2 league goals from open play in a whole season from a £26 million pound striker (including misses galore)...has there ever been such a poor return for such a big investment?

Unreal isn't it?

2 league goals from open play in a whole season from a £26 million pound striker (including misses galore)...has there ever been such a poor return for such a big investment?

Goals aside, it's his lack of application that's the concern.

These supposed runs are a myth. The supposed workrate is a myth.

He's slow, weak, lazy and petulant. Has a nice touch/flick at times, mind.

I think people have faith in him because no player goes from being prolific to abysmal over night. There are signs of a good player there. The guy was a great goalscorer in Spain and with the right system and a little more confidence he could become that player again. Personally I'm not sure he would fit perfectly to the Poch system that we think will be put in place, but I do think he could do a job in it.

I'm mystified at everyone's faith in Soldado. He was utter pants last season. And yet people still picking him over Ade.

It comes from two things IMO:

*Fans are in denial that our star striker signing we'd longed for all these years actually turned out to be bobbins and are desparate for him to do well.
*Fans are still under the belief that Ade is a lazy, good for nothing pile of rubbish who can't be relied on, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Most teams that push their full backs high up the pitch (after splitting their centre backs) depend on full backs that are very good on the ball. As the full backs get higher up the pitch they're more likely to be under pressure and they have to be more involved in play. Not just overlapping runs, but receiving the ball in tight spaces, more often facing their own goal under pressure etc.

Essentially with traditional full backs one path to play the ball out from the back is from the full back (or centre back) up to the winger/wide man that is then asked to turn with the ball or do the more intricate play. When splitting the centre half what more or less replaces that is the ball up from the centre back (or deep midfielder that drops in between the centre backs) up to the full back - often finding himself in a similar position and situation to what the wingers and wide players would in more traditional setups. It's not the overlap you speak of, where I agree Rose is good (although he often lets himself down with his crossing), it's taking part in a higher possession passing game higher up the pitch.

For me, neither Rose or Walker are particularly good at that.

I think they can do it. I don't think any of our players have looked good at playing a passing game since Redknapp left, because our movement has turned from good to almost non-existant under AVB & Sherwood.

Most of a good passing game is down to good movement, because nobody gets to the level Walker and Rose do in football without being able to accurately knock short passes into team-mates under pressure.

Its just that many of our passing moves either got snuffed out as there were no options, forcing players to go backwards or sideways (due to poor off the ball movement), or players were forced to play passes that were never on, again due to a lack of options.

I think they can do it. I don't think any of our players have looked good at playing a passing game since Redknapp left, because our movement has turned from good to almost non-existant under AVB & Sherwood.

Most of a good passing game is down to good movement, because nobody gets to the level Walker and Rose do in football without being able to accurately knock short passes into team-mates under pressure.

Its just that many of our passing moves either got snuffed out as there were no options, forcing players to go backwards or sideways (due to poor off the ball movement), or players were forced to play passes that were never on, again due to a lack of options.

Being involved in the kind of play I'm talking about depends on a lot more than being able to "accurately knock short passes into team-mates under pressure".

So much more is needed, you mention movement and that's obviously important. But a consistently good first touch is just as important because you won't have the confidence to want the ball in those tight situations unless you truly trust your first touch (and if they do, get ready for turnover fest 2014). It's about having a first (and second) touch that creates the space you need to play that accurate short pass before you ever get to actually playing it. And it's not only about accurate, relatively easy, short passes, it's also about very accurate and well weighted short and mid range passes into the final third. Along with good one touch passing when needed. It's about trusting your touch to the point that you can look up before receiving the ball to know what's going on, instead of having to keep your eyes on the ball approaching you at all times concentrating on getting it under control. It's about the same after that first touch. It's about having the strength/balance to shield the ball effectively, and also have the skill to twist and turn very consistently to get away from pressure when the passing option doesn't present itself.

Ekotto was very good at most of that, why he was sometimes labelled a "playmaking left back" (sometimes resulting in ridicule). Illustrative for that (imo) are the stats from the 11/12 season (http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/30/Archive?stageId=5476) where Ekotto averaged 59 passes per game to Walker's 48. That was in the same team, presumably with very similar movement to deal with.

I rate Walker very highly defensively, he's taken massive steps. His athleticism also helps him when attacking, but his ball work really isn't up to the level I think we should want. With his strengths though it all evens out to a very good player that should work for us. I'm not convinced that's the case with Rose and I think we should look to have at least one full back more in the Ekotto mould than what we currently have if we want to successfully push our full backs high up the pitch during buildup play.

Re: Starting 11 for the New season

If there is a chance of Luke Shaw I'd get him. Even if it's near £30m. We can clear enough deadwood to raise that I think.

You're talking about someone who could be your left back for the next 10 years or be sold for considerably more.
Divide it over 10 years and it's £3m a year on a left back. Otherwise we can spend 10-15m every 2/3 years on one.

It's worth it I think.

Agree. id rather spend 30m on a player/position we really need than 2 players at 15m each for players/positions we are not desperate for

I really think Holtby has a great chance to develop under Poch. He seems to be capable of a lot of running, so wouldn't be out of place in the middle three when pressing, but he can also give so much to the attack.

Back