• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who's in and who's out- tactics 2014/2015

Re: Starting 11 for the New season

i strongly disagree that you think we should be paying 30 million for a left back.... and not spending the money more wisely like i say for a class striker

Well with the reported £50m we have to spend plus any thats generated from player sales then we could probably afford to buy both. I do fully expect us to get a new left back, centre back and striker though.

If we bought Shaw then theres a good chance he could be our left back for the next decade providing the club moves upwards.

If there is a chance of Luke Shaw I'd get him. Even if it's near £30m. We can clear enough deadwood to raise that I think.

You're talking about someone who could be your left back for the next 10 years or be sold for considerably more.
Divide it over 10 years and it's £3m a year on a left back. Otherwise we can spend 10-15m every 2/3 years on one.

It's worth it I think.

If there is a chance of Luke Shaw I'd get him. Even if it's near £30m. We can clear enough deadwood to raise that I think.

You're talking about someone who could be your left back for the next 10 years or be sold for considerably more.
Divide it over 10 years and it's £3m a year on a left back. Otherwise we can spend 10-15m every 2/3 years on one.

It's worth it I think.

Depends, how much of Shaw have you seen? he was one of the only non performers in the team against us, I don't watch Southampton, but the couple of games I saw .. he wasn't in their top 3 most effective players at any point.

I would spend 20M on a LB, just don't know if it has to be an overhyped british youngster

I'm still not confident that Lloris stays and would be surprised if him and Vertonghen are both still here at the start of next season, but for the sake of this thread I'll assume they remain a Spurs player and this would be my realistic team for 2014-15:

LLORIS
WALKER CAULKER VERTONGHEN BEN DAVIES
SANDRO DEMBELE
LAMELA ERIKSEN JAY RODRIGUEZ
BONY

I think it would be suicidal to bring in another six or seven players cos we know how long it can take for foreigners to settle here. So let's just invest in four players who know this league inside out and can contribute straight away. Caulker knows the club inside out and can get his chance as a first choice. Davies is a good leftback for Swansea and will be an upgrade on Rose, Rodriguez is used to playing for Pochettino and Bony is better than Benteke and Lukaku if you ask me, so I'd go for him.

Get rid of some players like Kaboul, Paulinho and Chadli. Id keep Lamela and see if Pochettino can revive him. Dembele can be upgraded in January if he doesn't sort himself out (wasn't very good last season IMO).

**** off with the Ferdinand and Cole suggestions plz geezers.

Neither offer much now and both are wholly unlikeable individuals who I wouldn't be able to get behind supporting. They wouldn't improve us but would demand ridiculous wages. Better options elsewhere.

Depends, how much of Shaw have you seen? he was one of the only non performers in the team against us, I don't watch Southampton, but the couple of games I saw .. he wasn't in their top 3 most effective players at any point.

I would spend 20M on a LB, just don't know if it has to be an overhyped british youngster

Fair point. I'll admit I've not seen him week in week out. From what I've seen, I've thought he has all the tools to be a star. But I am lead by the rave reviews most football fans, pundit, managers have given him. Point was about spending serious money if we see a player as a fixture in our side for the next 10 years. Then you could argue we should look at every signing like that

When motivated Ade is fairly hard working, I agree. And I've spent a lot of time defending him on here.

However, Ade isn't really dependable or diligent. It's difficult to trust that Ade will do his job every time and his defensive work when hard seems to me a bit random and scattered. If Poch wants to implement a Bielsa style high pressing game similar to Atletico Madrid or Dortmund for example he needs every player to work in that system consistently. The team has to work as a unit, and every player has to trust other players to do the work every time. It's perhaps less important for the lone striker in the 4-2-3-1 than for midfielders and defenders, but as Schneiderlin (I think) correctly pointed out in one of his interviews it's the striker(s) that should initiate the high pressing, that then brings the rest of the team up the pitch after them. Having a striker that's diligent and dependable, predictable and tactically astute is important.

If Ade can adapt that would be fantastic. If he can't perhaps Poch can do what Barcelona does with Messi and more or less give one player the freedom to defend more or less when he feels like it how he feels like it and it will be worth it... But Ade is a concern, one I'm quite sure both Poch and Baldini are pondering.

I agree totally, which is why i put Adebayor in my doubts/maybes category as i have my doubts as to whether he or Soldado can play the way Pochettino wants. I actually think Kane has the best chance of being our Lambert which is why i put him in the definately keep category.

I will try to be as realistic as possible here..

------------Lloris----------------

Walker----Verts----Vlad------BAE

Lallana-------Sandro--------Lamela

----------Eriksen-----Paulinho----

-------------Ade--------------------

I can't see us bringing in too many players this summer unless we offload a fair few. I would expect we try and poach a few from Southampton and they have several players that would be upgrades or good squad players. Shaw, Lallana, Rodriguez, Lovren, Ward-Prowse

We definitely need a LB. I am fine with Rose as cover but as of now I still would prefer BAE which says what I think of Rose I suppose

As for strikers I would still prefer we go after Benteke and should get him at a much lower fee after his injury. If not Bony, Rodriguez are other options. I would suspect we will be shopping Soldado around and if we could get back even half of what we paid I would move him on. He is 30 after all and not part of long term plans anyway, might as well get something for him before his value drops even more.

Last edited:
I see a lot of people are writing off Lennon. I could see him flourish under a manager who wants to close down from the front. He is probably the most comfortable with this out of all of our attacking players.

Not sure I want us buying Lallana. Going to cost a fortune given that he's English and the latest flavour of the month player. Expect that someone will put up say £20m - £25m for him. Would rather we spend £15m on Konoplyanka and use the other £5m-£10m plus whatever we get for either BAE or Rose to get a decent LB in

I see a lot of people are writing off Lennon. I could see him flourish under a manager who wants to close down from the front. He is probably the most comfortable with this out of all of our attacking players.

Agree with that comment however my concern with Lennon is that if Poch wnats to play with inside-forward types rather than traditional wingers then Lennon is going to struggle

Agree with that comment however my concern with Lennon is that if Poch wnats to play with inside-forward types rather than traditional wingers then Lennon is going to struggle

I don't have the stats to back it up but my hunch would be that he is more of a goal threat from the left and just as defensively solid.

Is it true that The Stellar Group, Bales agents, represent both Shaw and Lallana? Of course they represent Pochettino and J Barnett is a mate of Levy.....could be some interesting conversations coming up

OUT:
Livermore - coming good in his season at hull but would you have him starting??
Siggy - had his better season in the bale era
Soldado - no point wasting time seeing if he comes good
Fryers - rose as back up and buy cole so he is not needed
Kaboul - too old and with a new centre back coming in he would be the 1st to go out of daws, vlad and verts
Carroll - his season at qpr hasnt looked good at all
Capoue - hes a complete waste of space and what we saw in him is beyond me
assou-ekkotto - same reason as fryers although i would have fryers than ekkotto

all of the above should be gone without doubt

In fairness he does have a valid point as many of you have used the argument many times on here that we only beat them because we had better players not certain but danny rose was one of them wasn't he ?

By the way I think rose needs help from above and is a lazy sod who tracks back like a worm on valium.

ok here goes - I was thinking more along the lines of a like for like comparison:

so GK:
Boruc started most of their games last year - for us Lloris is a better keeper, but it will be interesting to see if Poch tries to curb Hugo's tendency to rush off his goal line and cause heart-stopping moments? He is bringing with him his goalkeeping coach so who knows. The question of back ups to Lloris is one that needs to be addressed - Friedel is still a decent backstop but we really need a decent younger back up.

In defence:
full backs:
Luke Shaw and Nathaniel Clyne - Walker when fit is better than Clyne, but i;d guess Shaw is better than Rose on last seasons's showing, but both first choice spurs FB should be a decent enough match for what Poch had at Southampton. Walker has come on leaps and bounds last year, got to hope that Rose with a bit of coaching and defensive discipline instilled would come on too. The weakness is the back ups to both these areas - Naughton is decent but not the pace of Walks - fredericks is perhaps a bit too far off from being the reserve full back. On the left we are struggling for a back up and that's where I think Poch will look to get someone in - if not then BAE will have to do but like Naughts, the dynamic changes bringing him into the team - negating the high pressing game that Poch might want to play.

CB:
Lovren and Fonte - surely are less of a match up of Verts and a.n.other. I think Daws is brilliant but have got to say I think he would likely suffer in the high pressing game. Kaboul for me is too much of a health risk. I'd keep Chiriches as I think he could develop into a decent player. I think we need another CB - would love Lovren, wouldn't even mind Caulker coming back, but we need someone in pretty sharpish on this one.

central midfield:
Wanyama, Davis, Sneiderlin? for us I think it would be Sandro as the holder (with Capoue as back up) and dembele next to him and Pauly just ahead of him breaking forward late - I actually think Sig could do a job in the hole as back up to Pauli, but that's for Poch to ponder on

Front Three:
Eriksen (Holtby) wide left; Lamela (townsend) wide right - Ade (Soldado) up top - maybe not as mobile wide as Rodriguez and Llalana, and Lambert has proved a decent leader of the line, so this is the one area where we might not be as good a match for the Saints and Poch really has his work cut out, cutting out the wheat from the chaff.

where that then leaves chadli or Siggy or Lennon i'm not sure - we've also got Bentaleb in the mix, and Carroll potentially and let's not forget Kane.

those first few pre-season sessions are going to be key - as is keeping an injury free squad as if we know nothing else, our first team may be decent but the back ups are no where near the same quality.

Thoughts?

Hope Ekotto gets a look in. UNLESS we get someone in who is better.

I'm still not confident that Lloris stays and would be surprised if him and Vertonghen are both still here at the start of next season, but for the sake of this thread I'll assume they remain a Spurs player and this would be my realistic team for 2014-15:

LLORIS
WALKER CAULKER VERTONGHEN BEN DAVIES
SANDRO DEMBELE
LAMELA ERIKSEN JAY RODRIGUEZ
BONY

I think it would be suicidal to bring in another six or seven players cos we know how long it can take for foreigners to settle here. So let's just invest in four players who know this league inside out and can contribute straight away. Caulker knows the club inside out and can get his chance as a first choice. Davies is a good leftback for Swansea and will be an upgrade on Rose, Rodriguez is used to playing for Pochettino and Bony is better than Benteke and Lukaku if you ask me, so I'd go for him.

Get rid of some players like Kaboul, Paulinho and Chadli. Id keep Lamela and see if Pochettino can revive him. Dembele can be upgraded in January if he doesn't sort himself out (wasn't very good last season IMO).

Agree with Bony and Davies and Rodriguez is a work horse but for me i think there are better wide players out there like Griezmann

-----------adebayor-----------
townsend-eriksen-lamela
------dembele-paulinho
shaw-verton-garay-walker
------------lloris----------------

other options
Griezmann
James Rodriguez (not Jay)
Strootman
Pogba
Fischer
Lovren
Sven Bender
Javi Martinez
ASHLEY COLE

Last edited:

all of this talk about mario bringing in several southampton players is rubbish we dont need one of them, why bring players form an 8th finishing sqaud? worse than us!!

for me the players i would like to see on the pitch the first game are these:

-----------------------Loris---------------------

walker------daws---------vlad/verts----------rose

-------------sandro---------dembele-----------

lennon/towns------------chadli/lamela------------eriskon

---------------------ade/sol-----------------------

if mario can get the best out of soldado which i hope he can i would start him over ade

So you think Madrid shouldn't have signed Bale?

Back