• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who should we sell?

Priority outgoings

• Adebayor

Votes: 70 89.7%
  • Capoue

Votes: 71 91.0%
  • Chiriches

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • Dembele

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Kaboul

Votes: 71 91.0%
  • Lamela

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Lennon

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Paulinho

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Soldado

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Townsend

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm with you on most points, although I think if we're seeing Chadli as a first choice starter next season then we're aiming too low. I also think that looking to add only squad depth is a massive mistake. The squad depth should come from our current weaker first choice players being replaced by better options.

I think from the above you see how key those CB, CM, RW signings are (and I would add LW as well).... as I think it is asking a huge amount to expect Alli, Pritchard and a couple of youth/academy players (probably Fredericks, Velkojvic and perhaps Winks) to step up and be good enough to make a difference at PL level. By making proper first choice signings in the CB, CM, RW and LW positions you suddenly are using Dier/Fazio, Mason, Lamela/Townsend, Chadli as the squad depth players.

Definitely not saying we don't need some established signings .. was just trying to put a cap on it (5-7 first team changes would be too disruptive) ... my ideal view

- CB, CM, RW as expected 1st team changes
- RB, LW, Striker as squad players that are expected to give the 1st team players cover and competition
- Supplemented by Alli/Pritchard/etc. to provide squad options and numbers (we could easily see 9+ players leaving)

Thanks Billy ..

Not quite true…..

Emirates Marketing Project finished a lowly 10th in 2008-2009. Then with their new found Oil money wealth they purchased Gareth Barry, Roque Santa Cruz, Carlos Tevez, Emanuel Adebayor, Kolo Toure, Jolean Lescott, Patrich Viera and Adam Johnson. As a result of this they improved their PL finish from 10th the year before to 5th the following season.

City then embarked upon another spending spree in 2010-2011 and purchased Jerome Boatang, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Aleksandar Kolarov, Mario Balotelli, James Milner and Edin Dzeko. They again improved their PL finish that season from 5th to 3rd.

Next came 2011 – 2012 when they signed Stefan Savic, Gael Clichy, Sergio Aguero, Costel Pantilimon, Samir Nasri and Owen Hargreaves. That year they improved their league position from 3rd the previous year to winning the title.

If we look at probably the most successful English team of the last few years (Chelsea) they signed:
7 players this season.
13 players last season.
8 players the season before
10 players the season before.

So an average of almost 10 players per season.

I don't think Chelsea is a fair comparison. Their whole FFP avoidance strategy is to buy lots of players and loan them out everywhere

I don't think Chelsea is a fair comparison. Their whole FFP avoidance strategy is to buy lots of players and loan them out everywhere
But even allowing for the fact that they send players out on loan they still look to buy at least 5 players with a good chance of getting into their first team every year....

This year it was Costa, Fabregas, Filipe Luis, Remy and Cuadrado.
Last year it was Schurrie, Eto’o, Willian, Matic, Salah, Zouma.
The year before it was Hazard, Marin, Oscar, Azpilicueta, Victor Moses, Demba Ba

It looks to me as though they are constantly trying to shake things up in their first team - bringing in players that they hope are better or will be better than the ones they already have. That is how you improve, year on year.

Definitely not saying we don't need some established signings .. was just trying to put a cap on it (5-7 first team changes would be too disruptive) ... my ideal view

- CB, CM, RW as expected 1st team changes
- RB, LW, Striker as squad players that are expected to give the 1st team players cover and competition
- Supplemented by Alli/Pritchard/etc. to provide squad options and numbers (we could easily see 9+ players leaving)

Thanks Billy ..
I think I was suggesting just 4 first team changes. So the only difference between our views is whether or not Chadli is good enough for where we want to be (my thoughts are that while he has the ability for this, he seriously lacks the desire). Compare Chadli's workrate to a player like Sanchez at Arsenal.

I'm not sure we need another signing as a RB squad option unless Walker is a perma-crock, after all we have Yedlin and also Fredericks to return from a successful championship loan. Walker-Peters also looks one of the more promising under 18s

I hope that we see AT LEAST 9 players leaving. If not then I would worry about either Levy or Pochettino's vision (and probably both). There is a lot of deadwood at this club and it will not do any good to either us or those players to be retained beyond this summer.

I would argue that City has consistently underperformed for the quality of their squad, but that is a completely separate conversation (mercenaries at a club with no history)

The Ronaldo, Bale, Messi, etc .. argument is just stupid, those are 5 players that are a level above everyone and win games on their own, whoever we buy will not likely be in that bracket, far less 5 players in that bracket.

To me, we need squad depth, more that 1st team changes.

Lloris, Walker, Vert, Rose, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane are probably all 1st team starters next season, so that leaves 3 starting spots to compete for (CB, CM, RW), which I think is about correct.

Add in Alli, Pritchard and probably 2-3 other youth/academy players, we should have some additional options available
You're missing my point completely. I know those 5 players I listed are ones that we can't and wouldn't get, I'm just responding to Gutterboys statement that signing 5 players no matter how good they are would get Poch sacked. It's a stupid statement as those 5 players I listed are players who would fall into the that "no matter how good they are" statement and would help West Ham or any other team climb the table and be title challengers. They would certainly not get any manager sacked.

If we get around 14m euros for Paulinho that would be an amazing fee for someone who has clearly not had a good couple of seasons.
Sell a few more with fees like that and I'll be happy. Sounds like we have clubs showing interest in Capoue and Stambouli.. although it's gone a bit quiet on the likes of Kaboul and Chiriches

Back