• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who should we sell?

Priority outgoings

• Adebayor

Votes: 70 89.7%
  • Capoue

Votes: 71 91.0%
  • Chiriches

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • Dembele

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Kaboul

Votes: 71 91.0%
  • Lamela

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Lennon

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Paulinho

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Soldado

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Townsend

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Thinking we should probably try to hang on to at least the core of the players that have been involved this season, which ones should we make a priority to get rid of, assuming Holtby is already gone?

I've set the number of choices at five to see how it pans out beyond Adebayor and Kaboul.

All of them other than one of Townsend/Lamela (I am ambivalent over which one is sold/kept).....

That is probably a little harsh on Dembele, who I think we sometimes look better for the inclusion of in the team and also harsh on Lennon who I still think is the best attacking wide midfielder at the club, but it seems the manager doesn't like either of them so we might as well sell them while we can.

I think there's some order of priority. Ade and Kaboul will probably be given away if there are takers, but Lamela or Paulinho will require a bid close to their original value.

All of them other than one of Townsend/Lamela (I am ambivalent over which one is sold/kept).....

That is probably a little harsh on Dembele, who I think we sometimes look better for the inclusion of in the team and also harsh on Lennon who I still think is the best attacking wide midfielder at the club, but it seems the manager doesn't like either of them so we might as well sell them while we can.

yeah pretty much all bar one of Townsend/Lamela (depending on how you view them) i guess would be the general response.

if we're selling to buy then the order of importance would be who we can get the most money for/save most in wages - with that in mind : Dembele, Townsend, Capoue, Paulinho? could get around 40m for that lot, possibly. that should cover 3 signings (CM and and 2 wing forwards?)

Ade, Kaboul, Capoue simply have no place in the team

Vlad is 3rd/4th choice and likely to have offers, so could see him going
Paulinho despite his recent performances, doesn't seem to have a future, again, rumours of offers from Brazil, take them.
Soldado, again, given a half decent offer, will go.

To me Lennon/Dembele are great squad options if they are willing to stay and if Poch learns how to leverage them

Lamela is the wild card, for me, if Italy calls, we should let him go, best for both parties

GKs - Friedel (ooc)
Defs - Kaboul (ooc?), Chiriches, Khumalo (ooc)
Mids - Capoue, Dembele, Carroll, Holtby, Paulinho, Lennon, Ceballos (ooc)
For - Adebayor, Soldado

Getting rid of those 13 would leave us with a squad of about 19, short of perhaps a CB, LWF and CF.

Last edited:
As all of those players are on the fringes they are all potentially available if the right bid came in, but Ade, Capoue, Chiriches, Kaboul and Soldado would be first out the door if I had my way.

Went for Adebayor (not that we'll receieve a fee if we can get rid), Soldado, Towsend and Capoue. That doesn't mean I want to keep the rest on the list though, I'm just quite indifferent to them and don't care really whether they go or not. Suppose I would be happy to keep Lennon though.

I'm particularly fond of selling Townsend as I believe his England performances (and just being english) have elevated him to a level of 'overration' which means we could get a lot more for him then he is really worth to us.

Remember those quotes from "The Secret Footballer" - if a player hands in a transfer request they lose their rights to remaining wages. If they sit tight they can agree a settlement fee to leave, plus about 10% signing on fee plus new wages/contract... Some of these scumbags are just loitering around waiting for a massive pay day of £2m and will then act sorry for themselves.

That reminds me of other parts of that book where they fly to Vegas and their table at a nightclub try to outspend another table at the nightclub... £130k spent in 2 hours on vintage champagne and prostitutes. Classy guys.

Getting rid of the holy trinity of Ade, Capoue and Kaboul has to be the priority. Chiriches too, he is appalling.

I would also say it's time to bid farewell to Lennon. A lot of people want him back now as he's playing well on loan at Everton, but I honestly think people have short memories and forget how anonymous he has been for over two seasons.

Out of the list it has to be the ones that have not played on contributed in anyway.

Soldado
Ade
Paulinho
Capoue and Kaboul

If we were to get rid of more than the 6 i would also choose

Townsend
Lamela and Lennon.

Of those the only one I would be truly disappointed to see leave would be Lamela.

Agree with most here. Adebayor, Capoue, Kaboul, Chiriches and Soldado should be actively moved on. Listen to offers for all the rest at the very least and probably look to sell them to make room in the squad and raise money to buy more suitable players.

Wouldn't sell Lamela unless a tremendous offer came in, and I think that's unlikely. Wouldn't be unhappy with Dembele, Lennon or Townsend staying if Pochettino decides that he would rather have them around.

Can we start another thread where you get 10 votes?
In all seriousness, I think Lamela and Townsend should be given another season as they are still young. I like Soldado, but we should sell him for his benefit as much as ours. I'd like to see him go back to Spain and finish his career on a high, rather than being ruined by us.

In all honesty, I'd be tempted to keep everyone barring Ade, Kaboul and I guess Capoue (if he is a disruptive influence). I don't think wholesale changes are particularly wise and I'd like to see these set up players get another season under their belts. I mentioned a while ago that I'd (sadly) write-off next season to an extent too if it meant Poch establishing this culture at the club (like Wenger did at the goons) - trying to see the bigger picture rather than the now.

That said, if it's a financial one or one whereby Poch doesn't believe the players will fit into this system or culture then sure - there are a few others that could probably go...

I do get a tad narked when players are written-off so quickly too.

In all honesty, I'd be tempted to keep everyone barring Ade, Kaboul and I guess Capoue (if he is a disruptive influence). I don't think wholesale changes are particularly wise and I'd like to see these set up players get another season under their belts. I mentioned a while ago that I'd (sadly) write-off next season to an extent too if it meant Poch establishing this culture at the club (like Wenger did at the goons) - trying to see the bigger picture rather than the now.

That said, if it's a financial one or one whereby Poch doesn't believe the players will fit into this system or culture then sure - there are a few others that could probably go...

I do get a tad narked when players are written-off so quickly too.

Is there a reason at this point to think that Pochettino thinks players like Lennon, Soldado and Dembele are good fits under Pochettino's system or culture?

No idea what goes on behind closed doors but they may be considered squad players rather than first team. They offer a particular type of game (waits for Sold-a-dud jokes) - and I'd hope would suit particular opposition. I have to be honest that I like Bobby and can see there is something there but can also understand why some do lose patience. Not getting regular game-time and our current formation probably doesn't help...

I think we could have done with Azza a few times towards the tail end of the season (and he was my fave player) but perhaps Poch didn't see a long-term gain...

Dembele I really like and really want him to succeed; he's unique in his physical strength/hold up play but there are concerns (reading this forum) regarding is mental strength or confidence and his slowing of play.

For me; my priority would be supporting whatever Poch sees as correct and fitting into what he wants to do. If that means selling players then so be it.

Back