• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

When did we last play really well?

That's what I miss the most except the actual football, the feeling of coherence and that everybody was pulling in the same direction and had the same goals. Good times.
So so so rare
It really is
Poch trick was getting everyone aligned.
Jol started it was fans and players
Conte perfected it was fans, players and board
I see it at arsenal right now

So so so rare
It really is
Poch trick was getting everyone aligned.
Jol started it was fans and players
Conte perfected it was fans, players and board
I see it at arsenal right now
GHod, there were truly some dark years before that. I think Hoddle started the connection era, if not football wise. The 90's was really the dark age, Steffen Iversen spoke about the poor culture within the club (with Sheringham coming across as a polite but pompous ass) and let's just say less than fan-favourite managers. Hoddle as manager was a strange one indeed, with stories about him disrupting training sessions trying to be better than his players. Still he had a connection with both the club and fans, sadly his weird antics and feuds with Pleat ruined it. But for me he was the one who started it. Jol brought his friendly culture, helped by some less-than-aptly named brothers, but he wasn't a very good field tactician and his team wasn't very good. And couldn't play for more than 60 minutes (which still is double of what Conte's team are able to).

So for me, Hoddle started the feel-good era, and Harry started the play-exciting-football era. They all have their place.

Non-related story from the semi-dark ages: I remember talking to Ivor(?) at the Corner Pin some weekday 20 years ago. When I asked about players visiting the pub, few if any players did. Tommy Harmer had a regular table by the window. But one player used to visit once in a while, and was a truly nice guy. His name was Sol Campbell.

Managers can only be as good as the environment they work in, or more so the fit between the two, allows them to be.

Klopp would probably have done well at Spurs had we appointed him instead of Poch at that time and he would probably have faltered at the same point too - would Pep or peak Jose have fared any better working in those conditions, or Conte for that matter? I don't believe so.
I have been saying from the beginning I didn't think Conte was the right fit for us and that reputation seems to count for nothing at Spurs.

Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight of course, but it's a shame we missed out on Potter. Didn't think he was proven in the PL at the time we appointed Nuno. He also didn't have the profile at the time that would have appealed to DL.

By the time he did prove himself sadly the chavs grabbed him.

I have been saying from the beginning I didn't think Conte was the right fit for us and that reputation seems to count for nothing at Spurs.

Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight of course, but it's a shame we missed out on Potter. Didn't think he was proven in the PL at the time we appointed Nuno. He also didn't have the profile at the time that would have appealed to DL.

He'll be free soon enough ...

Agreed on Potter, he would have been the sensible appointment at the time and would have shown to me that there was some joined up thinking from the top wrt seeing where we were as a club and what we need from a manager to work based on what jad worked previously - Conte, unless he's truly here for the long term and happy to work at a club that operates how we do in the market, will prove to be another example of Levy not understanding the club and what is required for us to succeed.

I don't think we can let Conte go now. He is a results-focused manager and he wrung out performances from an unbalanced squad. And maybe we have suffered at times by not focusing on performances. We didn't sacrifice wins to invest in younger players and a philosophy. A way of playing that has a vision. To develop that you have to accept some compromises. That might have meant no CL football this season.

Now this is the interesting part. Conte has actually sacrificed to follow a vision. We stopped being so defensive about 10 games ago. The idea is to setup a more balanced side that can take the game to the opposition. But he is still a results manager. He is still trying to deliver results. And we are neither a good possession team or a defensive counter-attacking team right now. We are in transition under Conte.

But it was the right decision and I trust him to pull through. What I am not so sure of is if fans and Levy will give him time.

Last edited:

This might work out if Chelsea do their usual and get rid hastily and Conte walks.

I don't think we can let Conte go now. He is a results-focused manager and he wrung out performances from an unbalanced squad. And maybe we have suffered at times by not focusing on performances. We didn't sacrifice wins to invest in younger players and a philosophy. A way of playing that has a vision. To develop that you have to accept some compromises. That might have meant no CL football this season.

Now this is the interesting part. Conte has actually sacrificed to follow a vision. We stopped being so defensive about 10 games go. The idea is to setup a more balanced side that can take the game to the opposition. But he is still a results manager. He is still trying to deliver results. And we are neither a good possession team or a defensive counter-attacking team right now. We are in transition under Conte.

But it was the right decision and I trust him to pull through. What I am not so sure of is if fans and Levy will give him time.

We are in transition under Conte for the next 6 months, unless he wants to commit for longer. If he doesn’t do that, then we might as well get rid now.

Back