• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what is/isn't a sport

i brought up this topic in the olympics thread - how is Dressage a sport for example.

Apparently its anything with physical exertion and competition so by that definition Dressage is a sport.

I think the most debatable sport at the olympics was the Discuss...

'Dressage'

I get the discuss.

If i was to be entirely honest i think sports are a little out of place at the olympics, but can understand why they are included.

The idea of the olympics was to find out who was the fastest, strongest, most agile etc.

So who can throw brick the furthest fits well. Who can make a team that kick a ball around the best is stretching the olympics a little bit.

It makes it a little more 'appealing' to certain groups, which is why they include it. Though i am going slightly off kilter..

Even though I don't like Golf, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's not a sport. However, I couldn't stand it when people used to say Tiger was the best/most dominant athlete in the world. When an "athlete" like John Daly can win majors and be a good player in the sport, then you can't really say a golfer qualifies as the best athlete in the world.

When the aim is to be able to walk as fast as you fast over a long distance, then yes. It's still competitive, and requires a lot of physical and mental exertion.

I am kinda talking about the skill element.

What I was trying to say is around the skill bit - what is skill? It takes skill to walk fast same as running and swimming. Everyone can walk, run and swim but can you do a 20km walk in an hour

When the aim is to be able to walk as fast as you fast over a long distance, then yes. It's still competitive, and requires a lot of physical and mental exertion.

So does skooching on your ass 10 miles.

Walking is the stupidest thing out there, might as well put jumping on one leg in there. Whatever posesses a man to start walking really, really fast? And who came up with it? More important, who decided it should be in the Olympics?

Olympic GAMES.
Shooting, archery, dressage, all games of pure skill.
Other games are more weighted towards athleticism.

I'd suggest motorsport draws mostly from skill but clearly demands a lot of the senses.

Thanks for getting into the spirit of the debate, and its interesting to see how very similar conversations have been had here and when I chatted to some mates about this.

My twopence since I brought the subject up is that people will regard something as a sport if they personally like it but if you give good examples you can show them to be incorrect...watch:

Is croquet a sport? If not, then how can golf be?

Is go karting a sport? If not how can f1 be?

I know golf and f1 are different to croquet and go karting, but the principles are the same

One thing I think that distinguishes a real sport from a skillful game/ an intense competition is low/zero cost of entry...what I mean is that sailing, f1, dressage are not available to everybody, its a high social class pastime.

Sports are summed up like this imo, running, swimming, cycling ARE sports, everything else is not...

Thanks for getting into the spirit of the debate, and its interesting to see how very similar conversations have been had here and when I chatted to some mates about this.

My twopence since I brought the subject up is that people will regard something as a sport if they personally like it but if you give good examples you can show them to be incorrect...watch:

Is croquet a sport? If not, then how can golf be?

Is go karting a sport? If not how can f1 be?

I know golf and f1 are different to croquet and go karting, but the principles are the same

One thing I think that distinguishes a real sport from a skillful game/ an intense competition is low/zero cost of entry...what I mean is that sailing, f1, dressage are not available to everybody, its a high social class pastime.

Sports are summed up like this imo, running, swimming, cycling ARE sports, everything else is not...

Just to provide a specific reply to this example, have you tried driving a high powered go-kart at high intensity for say half an hour to an hour? It is absolutely exhausting!

I kart occasionally, but the first time i had a crack at doing a session for 45 minutes (under racing conditions) i ended up spewing everywhere once i got out of the kart and my limbs were extremely weak. I was also severely dehydrated..

I have known this to happen to several people before, so it is far more physically demanding that you would imagine. Not to mention the concentration required to hit the right lines, brake at the right points etc etc.

Easier to list what isn't in my opinion.

I consider 'sport' to be something requiring physical exertion and a level of skill.

Therefore, not a sport =

Snooker
Darts
Dressage

Sum my feelings up as well

Darts is a pub game for fat bastards

Dressage is a way to get posh arseholes into the Olympics.

Just to provide a specific reply to this example, have you tried driving a high powered go-kart at high intensity for say half an hour to an hour? It is absolutely exhausting!

I kart occasionally, but the first time i had a crack at doing a session for 45 minutes (under racing conditions) i ended up spewing everywhere once i got out of the kart and my limbs were extremely weak. I was also severely dehydrated..

I have known this to happen to several people before, so it is far more physically demanding that you would imagine. Not to mention the concentration required to hit the right lines, brake at the right points etc etc.

I am not disputing that its difficult, but so too is being an astronaut for example I.e. similarly physically demanding...or a red arrow pilot...neither of which are sports

Back