• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What a waste

I don't obsess over anything, fella - last time I checked it was you on a Spurs forum, riding a lonesome crusade of truth in a desperate attempt to proclaim your club a bastion of integrity and self-sustained development

Did you just say that because it sounded nice in your head? Because none of it is remotely true. Of course it isn't self-sustained development, anyone who claims it is is blatantly stupid. What it is though, is adjusting to the modern game, and probably a bit of serendipity too.

The Commonwealth Games gave us a new stadium, but we weren't ready for it at boardroom level. We were still reeling from the Swales debacle, and Franny Lee's awful leadership didn't help either. Wardle and Bernstein helped the situation, but it was still dire. Shinawatra took us back 30 years, so we needed an owner. Sheikh Mansour was looking for a club, so he bought us.

For someone who is concerned about the 'good of the game', I'd liked to have seen your reactions as we/Portsmouth were going through the mill. Outside parties damaging a club have just as much of an effect on football as ones which help a club. But when you're kicking and screaming about us and pleading for someone to stop our spending, I doubt you have the same level of reaction towards Pompey. I'm sure you just shake your head, tut, and carry on with your life.

I strongly suspect that this is because we have a direct effect on you. Our gain is your loss. Portsmouth's loss has zero effect on your position in the league table, the Deloitte table or the 'reputation table'. I'm not saying this is wrong. If our clubs swapped places, I'm sure I'd feel the same way. But don't pretend you are representing the name of football, when your motives are for yourself.

The reality is - most (didn't say 'any') of those players are first and foremost with you for the massive pay-cheque, - which has also in many ways altered the transfer market for clubs such as us who live within our means and spend whata we earn. It is no suprise Mancini has been crying in the press over the FFP's 'unfairness' lately - mainly because he knows very well what is coming, and without the massive financial muscle offering mercenary qunts 300k/week, there is very little left as an 'attraction'.

The whole 'blame City for the transfer market inflation' is one of my favourites, actually. They don't understand that United have broken the British transfer record many more times than we have (we didn't make them do that). They paid £30m for a defender in 2003 (?). Using national inflation rates, that figure would be around £40m now. Madrid paid £140m for two players in one summer. Juventus paid £40m+ for a GOALKEEPER in the late 90s. Lazio paid £30m for Gaizka Mendieta. Chelsea paid £30m for Shevchenko. Do you see the point I'm trying to make? These all happened way before Sheikh Mansour came in.

Don't pay attention to what Mancini says in press conferences, particularly regarding finance and transfers. "I-errrrrr wanteeeeed different playerrrs, Briiian [Marwood] said no. I say to heeem, I am manager of Manchester Ceeeety, only theeees"
He doesn't have a clue, his attitude towards FFP is childish and it stinks. Saying that...

I sincerely hope these rules bring about some balance back into what has become an utterly unsustainable financial landscape in the football forum - even if it means your club going back to League 2 instead of paying some ogre 250k/week playing golf for 3 months only to come back and cuckold 45 000 'fans'.

These rules have to be respected. But realistically, I really doubt they will be enforced to the extent you're hoping for. Case in point, Chelsea:
They recently signed a MASSIVE sponsorship deal with Russian oil dealer, Gazprom. Seriously, whenever you see Stamford Bridge on the tv, there is a Gazprom logo every other advertising hoarding. However, if you watched any Champions League matches in the past few weeks, you will have seen a horrible ad at the start and end of every ad break. It's like a moving painting with classical music in the background, championing the upcoming Championships (World Cup?) in Russia. That ad is for Gazprom, who also signed a huge deal with UEFA. Now, how happy would Gazprom be if they were told that they can't advertise at Chelsea due to the size of the deal?
I have also heard there are many European legal blockades that FFP has to take on, like restriction of trade. But I'm no legal expert, and I won't pretend to be. FFP has to be implemented to some extent. The spending under Hughes particularly wasn't sustainable in any way. We've prepared for it, reeling in spending, lower contracts and a MUCH smaller squad have seen to that.

As for Tevez, that **** can fudge off as soon as possible please. I've not cheered him since he came back. Partly because he doesn't give us anything to cheer about these days, but mostly because he abandoned us when we needed him during the busy winter period. He slagged off Manchester, the manager, the fans and the team. To say I was embarrassed by the way some fans welcomed him would be an understatement. I know I'm not alone in this, too. The 'RIP Fergie' sign was funny, though.

Have you read UEFA's latest financial reports on European clubs - apart from Germany - most other clubs are piling ever-increasing debts (over 18.5 billion Euro) spending 80-120% of their turn-over on wages. This cannot and should not be sustained.

Agreed. Ideally, you want to be successful by starting off in your local with a few mates, joining a 5-a-side league, making a Sunday team, becoming semi-pro, getting a stadium on a nearby park, upgrading that to 30,000 when you win the FA Cup and then the 60,000 when you win the league, and then being the best team in the world by beating Barca in the final of the Champions League. But realistically, this Football Manager story just can't happen. Money is needed to win. That's the long and short of it. You don't even need fans (as Arsenal are trying to prove. £100 for a ticket, fudge me).

Anyway, you never answered the original question. Why do you mention 'the project' whenever City are mentioned on here?

-------------

On topic, I agree with Sinclair. He's sat on the bench while Swansea play in a cup final next week. May I put forward Benayoun? Looked stunning for West Ham a few years ago. Berbatov is wasted at Fulham, too.

This! What's laughable is he can't even get ahead of Sanchez who has 1 league goal all season. I'd take Villa tomorrow.

Broken leg takes a long time to recover from.

Then he gets back and is injured on and off as his body catches up.

He has been in and out of hospital on two separate occasions in the last 2 weeks. Kidney stones, nothing serious, but he has some more issues outside of just not being able to shake Alexis from the side.

Dare I say Darren Bent? Benteke has been very good but say what you will about Bent he is a proven goalscorer at this level shocking he can hardly get a game at a club staring down relegation

Good shout with Bent. At least if you consider how much money they spent on him and the size of the club.

Sahin for Liverpool until he left. Now getting games for Dortmund in the CL, but not good enough for Liverpool apparently.

Several City players are obviously in with a shout.

Very amusing.

Surely the only reason Emirates Marketing Project signed Sinclair was for the homegrown rule. Rodwell is a little money grabbing git too no different from any of their players. Total waste of talent considering he could've gone to United who would've looked after him a lot better. And he would've known that.

I always thought the same when players went to chelsea, is obviouss at chelsea and now at city certain types of players will never get the chance to play themselves into the team or form.

Remember sidwell coming out and saying how going to chelsea sset back his career years. Any player is mad to go to those 2 clubs. I spoke with a chelsea fan 2 months ago who told me marin was brick, i asked him how he came to that conclusion and he told me because the player could not get into the first team so he must be brick.

How about Kevin prince Boateng with us? Thought he was superb again for Milan yesterday

Was awful with us and not even that good with popmey. Thing about italian football is the standard is so poor that physical players like he can get away with being crap passers. He may have scored against barca but i think most of the players in our team could get a goal in similar circumstances.

Boatang was not a bad player though he often played badly for us, but it was another damian buy where he just brought players with potential rather then build a team. GHod sometimes i forget how much i hated that french **** and the whole director of football thing.

Really? All the hours you spend on the Net but you still have to admit to such a limited vocabulary?
It's often either that or sheer ignorance so it was bound to be one or the other.

Was awful with us and not even that good with popmey. Thing about italian football is the standard is so poor that physical players like he can get away with being crap passers. He may have scored against barca but i think most of the players in our team could get a goal in similar circumstances.

Boatang was not a bad player though he often played badly for us, but it was another damian buy where he just brought players with potential rather then build a team. GHod sometimes i forget how much i hated that french **** and the whole director of football thing.

I think part of it was on him and his work ethic when he was with us but also he was a casualty of the Commoli/Jol power struggle. I thought he was excellent for Ghana in WC and ever since then he has been very good for the most part.

As for Italian league being brick it may not be what it once was but don't think you can slate KPB personally on that. For one he was probably MOM for Milan yesterday against the best team in the world. Not only did he provide main threat going forward he worked his socks off tracking back.

Really? All the hours you spend on the Net but you still have to admit to such a limited vocabulary?
It's often either that or sheer ignorance so it was bound to be one or the other.

niko-cool-story-bro.gif

"no different from any of their players" it's remarkable how people continue to peddle this flimflam. Engage your brain, mate.

As you said, Rodwell has been injured quite a lot while he's been here. When he's not, he's made starting and bench appearances, and I thought he's looked good whenever he played. His performance against us last season was the best individual performance from an opposition's player at the Etihad in years. He gave David Silva no space at all in a man marking job, he was a complete monster.
I do feel sorry for Sinclair though. We are wasting him here. He must have been given the promise that he'd get regular time (considering he's our only winger in the whole squad), but Mancini has completely ignored him.

It's a shame because you've demonstrated some good knowledge in the past and have remained impartial but you've let your head go with this one. Lets clarify something ok - any player joining your club will have the money at the forefront of his mind. Get it yet?

Of course they know they're gonna be in a title race (Well not this year obviously) because your managers have an open cheque book that's why.

Bit old now but well done for winning the lottery.

Move on boys....

There was a point last season where you had Tevez, Berbatov and Torres all warming the bench for some time unable to get into their respective teams. Over £100 million pounds of bench warmer.

There was a point last season where you had Tevez, Berbatov and Torres all warming the bench for some time unable to get into their respective teams. Over £100 million pounds of bench warmer.

Torres wasn't warming the bench.

Hilariously he was playing brick and still the first choice striker.

It's a shame because you've demonstrated some good knowledge in the past and have remained impartial but you've let your head go with this one. Lets clarify something ok - any player joining your club will have the money at the forefront of his mind. Get it yet?

Of course they know they're gonna be in a title race (Well not this year obviously) because your managers have an open cheque book that's why.

Bit old now but well done for winning the lottery.

Move on boys....

We're talking about professional footballers here, they are not known for their altruism no matter who they play for.

Back