• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Well here's some interesting news

He does have a very specific system though. Maybe players with the right traits are more important when he goes for a disciplined approach.

Sure. But if he's a good manager he needs to be able to identify more than one very expensive top top player for a position he wants to strengthen.

Can't just say "I want Hulk" and then if that doesn't work out throw your toys out of your pram because you didn't want the one player you wanted. There needs to be a list of players that are at least potentially gettable that can all strengthen the team if we sign them. And then he needs to work with the suggestions from the other members of the transfer committee and make his case.

It's like when Redknapp reportedly wanted Tevez and we ended up with Saha. You can't have a shortlist of targets that goes 1: Tevez. 2: Saha. Especially when the top target is a tough ask in terms of transfer fee and wages and competition from other clubs.

Sure. But if he's a good manager he needs to be able to identify more than one very expensive top top player for a position he wants to strengthen.

Can't just say "I want Hulk" and then if that doesn't work out throw your toys out of your pram because you didn't want the one player you wanted. There needs to be a list of players that are at least potentially gettable that can all strengthen the team if we sign them. And then he needs to work with the suggestions from the other members of the transfer committee and make his case.

It's like when Redknapp reportedly wanted Tevez and we ended up with Saha. You can't have a shortlist of targets that goes 1: Tevez. 2: Saha. Especially when the top target is a tough ask in terms of transfer fee and wages and competition from other clubs.

Tevez and Saha are, at that stage of their careers, at opposite ends of the spectrum. Lamela and Hulk? not so much. Id agree with the likes of Moutinho and Dembele as they are different sorts of players.

Tenez would have got us CL and finish 3rd in that season.

Please remember do people honestly think that AVB would have given the DM the scoop considering the battering he got from Neil Ashton and Martin Samuel. DM would be the last people he would talk too IMO

looking on newsnow.. It's been repeated everywhere!

its made up.

Tevez and Saha are, at that stage of their careers, at opposite ends of the spectrum. Lamela and Hulk? not so much. Id agree with the likes of Moutinho and Dembele as they are different sorts of players.

Tenez would have got us CL and finish 3rd in that season.

Opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of skill, but also very different player types. Lamela and Hulk are quite different too I think, the point raised was about getting the right type of player with the right skill set in.

with hindsight it's a systematic failure, we should have targeted a majority of PL players who wouldn't have needed time to adjust and no more than 1 or 2 who would, hopefully lesson learned but I doubt it

Classic journalism....seems very unlikely they've just found this out so why wait until now. Narrative:

1. Berate AVB for being useless.
2. Create rumours that players lost faith in him and it's inevitable he will get sacked.
3. Having been sacked criticise club and fans for treating him harshly and state how longevity and patience would have been better option.
4. Create story to show AVB had been undermined and badly treated all along and how sorry they feel for the poor chap who was just a couple of players away from trophies, success and immortality.

=D>

Wenger wanted Suarez, Higuain and Luis Gustavo this summer. I'm sure that if the Arsenal board hadn't refused then Arsenal would have already won the title and Champions League by now.

There's no reason to believe AVB would have given the Daily Mail the exclusive scoop given what happened with Ashton and Samuel. I think they're trying to make something out of what AVB said in his post-match interview after the Liverpool game and trying to put two and two together based around his ambiguous comments about whether this was the squad he wanted to work with and the fact that he has hardly used some of the players that were signed. I would say though, that if it was true, it actually makes me think we were even more correct to get rid of AVB, as whilst the jury is still out on Lamela, Eriksen and Chiriches both look to be a lot better than any of the players that AVB actually did want, and I include Willian in that.

Finally, if you got frustrated at our team playing too narrow and being full of big strong players without much finesse who like to cut inside and take pot shots from distance, then can you imagine if AVB had gotten his way (allegedly) and we'd signed Hulk???

And as others have said:

There is no way AVB would go to the DM of all papers to tell them this.

The papers always come out with these stories after a manager has been sacked in this country with a DoF structure. It is because the media attack what they cannot understand or what is perceived to be foreign. Manager sacked with a Dof? Must be DoF's fault? Goal conceded with zonal marking? Why the **** would you use that system? No goals are ever conceded with the man to man marking.

Didn't AVB and his most fervent supporters say that he'd spent his year out of work travelling the world scouting players? He spent that year doing that and then asked for...Hulk, Villa, Moutinho and Willian. Right....

We're Tottenham. We have neither the money nor the prestige to demand players. Villa not only wanted to stay in Spain but went to a club that has had more recent success than us. Moutinho we should hve gotten, silly from Levy there. Willian we went almost all the way and then were beaten by Chelsea. Hulk? Is he kidding? He went for between 40-60 million Euros and has a huge salary we could almost certainly never afford. For a supersized, better wing version of Defoe.

Again, as others have mentioned, you can't go for Hulk as number one and then not have a suitable backup player in mind in case it doesn't come off.

He apparently had interest from PSG this summer. I can't imagine he'd have stayed here to be undermined when there would be a more lucrative, more free spending job elsewhere.

Haven't read the thread but the article strikes me as lazy - there were very good reasons that we were unable to sign Moutinho (this year) and Villa, and Hulk was likely way outside of our budget. So to suggest these 'failures' somehow reflect badly on the club/chairman is way off the mark IMO.

You can't expect to get every single player on your list. You migt be lucky to get one acording to Commoli

Because we have more than one DoF. Baldini, the other, his name is Daniel Levy

All the top Spanish and Italian clubs have a DoF AND a very hands on owner/president. They still manage to get things done. Unless you've got some kind of inside track on what Levy does every day and how the various decision makers work together I don't see how you can draw any kind of conclusions.

He told me

29kqbk6.jpg

And as others have said:

There is no way AVB would go to the DM of all papers to tell them this.

The papers always come out with these stories after a manager has been sacked in this country with a DoF structure. It is because the media attack what they cannot understand or what is perceived to be foreign. Manager sacked with a Dof? Must be DoF's fault? Goal conceded with zonal marking? Why the **** would you use that system? No goals are ever conceded with the man to man marking.

Didn't AVB and his most fervent supporters say that he'd spent his year out of work travelling the world scouting players? He spent that year doing that and then asked for...Hulk, Villa, Moutinho and Willian. Right....

We're Tottenham. We have neither the money nor the prestige to demand players. Villa not only wanted to stay in Spain but went to a club that has had more recent success than us. Moutinho we should hve gotten, silly from Levy there. Willian we went almost all the way and then were beaten by Chelsea. Hulk? Is he kidding? He went for between 40-60 million Euros and has a huge salary we could almost certainly never afford. For a supersized, better wing version of Defoe.

Again, as others have mentioned, you can't go for Hulk as number one and then not have a suitable backup player in mind in case it doesn't come off.

He apparently had interest from PSG this summer. I can't imagine he'd have stayed here to be undermined when there would be a more lucrative, more free spending job elsewhere.

Unless AVB really wants that WBA job.

Back