• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

This positive coverage is very worrying.

TELEMMGLPICT000355374091_16990122311640_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqa5MbQs9Q1iggY2oQApn95D_nauHLHm82a6MeCedVHF0.jpeg

TELEMMGLPICT000355374091_16990122311640_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqa5MbQs9Q1iggY2oQApn95D_nauHLHm82a6MeCedVHF0.jpeg

It's fine, we are no longer the villains, and the media have enough brick the bed stories at the top/middle/bottom of table.

Manager charisma matters, they like him and he is savvy enough not to get pulled into their narrative/click bait quote grabbing. Harry was pretty good at the media thing as well (different approach, more about feeding soundbites), those things take some of the negativity off the club.

The media will love us as long we do well enough, but not enough to push out City/Pool

It was certainly reported like that when it was done
but since then it’s been flipped to say it was Ange …

Doesn't matter really. Journalists will say whatever suits their story.

It was probably debbie the cleaner. But nobody ever gives her credit.

Meh...don't buy the media hype. That's not to say I don't love Ange or don't believe in him - none of us could have dreamed of a better start. The guy has brought unity to the fan base and given us a great brand of football.

But there's a narrative being pushed at the moment and people are grasping on to anything, like this, to support it. The test for Ange will be when he has to deal with bad results and he has to deal with unhappy players. As sure as we are Tottenham, those days will come and it's how he deals with those situations that will define his reign, not this sort of stuff.

I see a lot of nonsense stats at the moment. And, in my view, you can always tell the stats being pulled to push a narrative versus insightful stats by questioning if you'd ever heard the stat mentioned before. I've been following football for 40 years - I've never in all that time heard the "most points after 9 matches" stat. It's meaningless and it's bollox masquerading as insight. At one point, I saw a variation of it used to suggest we were better than the Woolwich Invincibles. I know we hate them but that side did the unthinkable - we've just had a great start to a season.

Ange has had a magnificent start. He's not put a foot wrong and it looks like Levy has gotten this one spectacularly right. But let's start making judgements when he's actually achieved something or when he's navigated the tricky waters that will come his way.

Meh...don't buy the media hype. That's not to say I don't love Ange or don't believe in him - none of us could have dreamed of a better start. The guy has brought unity to the fan base and given us a great brand of football.

But there's a narrative being pushed at the moment and people are grasping on to anything, like this, to support it. The test for Ange will be when he has to deal with bad results and he has to deal with unhappy players. As sure as we are Tottenham, those days will come and it's how he deals with those situations that will define his reign, not this sort of stuff.

I see a lot of nonsense stats at the moment. And, in my view, you can always tell the stats being pulled to push a narrative versus insightful stats by questioning if you'd ever heard the stat mentioned before. I've been following football for 40 years - I've never in all that time heard the "most points after 9 matches" stat. It's meaningless and it's bollox masquerading as insight. At one point, I saw a variation of it used to suggest we were better than the Woolwich Invincibles. I know we hate them but that side did the unthinkable - we've just had a great start to a season.

Ange has had a magnificent start. He's not put a foot wrong and it looks like Levy has gotten this one spectacularly right. But let's start making judgements when he's actually achieved something or when he's navigated the tricky waters that will come his way.

There's shades of Poch "achieving" too early and having unrealistic goals foisted on the team that in the end leads to our downfall.
Let's enjoy the ride, cheer the ups and laugh at the downs, while keeping everything in perspective and see where we end up.

Don't over think it. The media have always done this. It has been ramped up with social media and 24 hour sports news channels. They have to fill it with something. It's how they make money. There will always be a narrative it helps sell.

Just enjoy the fact that the narrative is positive and not negative. Make your own mind up on the information you receive rather than the journalists interpretation.

I never take anything the media or their mouthpieces are paid to put out, to many agendas and they have all that space to fill. We may be the darlings at the moment but if/when we have a bad run they will turn on us and Ange.

I never take anything the media or their mouthpieces are paid to put out, to many agendas and they have all that space to fill. We may be the darlings at the moment but if/when we have a bad run they will turn on us and Ange.
Agreed. I absolutely maintain that if Ange gets us too 6, he’ll have done a good job. I had said top 8 at the start of the season but I guess you have to adjust for the start we’ve had. I can see the issue being that if we don’t get CL football, the sexy tag or choker tag will be wheeled out. Poch got us 3rd in 2016 and you still hear myths about that from people who should know better (“Spurs bottled the league” despite never leading it and “Spurs threw away the league in the Battle of the Bridge” despite the league being pretty much done at that point).

Thing is, Ange talks long term which will be great IMO. So whatever happens this season, unless he wins the league, will not define or be the pinnacle of his reign. I just worry that he’s being built up and the backlash will be huge and in an era where headlines shape opinions rather than common sense, people will take glee in knocking him back down.

But as others say, maybe I need to sit back, relax, enjoy it and keep my expectations in check rather than going all Chicken Licken on it.

Agreed. I absolutely maintain that if Ange gets us too 6, he’ll have done a good job. I had said top 8 at the start of the season but I guess you have to adjust for the start we’ve had. I can see the issue being that if we don’t get CL football, the sexy tag or choker tag will be wheeled out. Poch got us 3rd in 2016 and you still hear myths about that from people who should know better (“Spurs bottled the league” despite never leading it and “Spurs threw away the league in the Battle of the Bridge” despite the league being pretty much done at that point).

Thing is, Ange talks long term which will be great IMO. So whatever happens this season, unless he wins the league, will not define or be the pinnacle of his reign. I just worry that he’s being built up and the backlash will be huge and in an era where headlines shape opinions rather than common sense, people will take glee in knocking him back down.

But as others say, maybe I need to sit back, relax, enjoy it and keep my expectations in check rather than going all Chicken Licken on it.
You have the enjoy the highs when they come around because as sure as night follows day there will be lows somewhere down the road.
If you don't then what's the point in supporting a team?

You have the enjoy the highs when they come around because as sure as night follows day there will be lows somewhere down the road.
If you don't then what's the point in supporting a team?

Agree we should enjoy the highs. Think some of our fans do get overexcited though and their expectations get very high. Then if the club doesn't meet them they get angry.

The difference between my enjoyment of watching us now is immense compered to the last couple of years for sure, and i am starting to enjoy our play again. Will it last? well i am sure there will be downsides along the way ( after all we are Spurs) but bring it on. As for those who will/may wheel out the chocker tag they can fudge off as far as i am concerned as they will moan no matter what. I have no idea where we will finish this season but for sure i am enjoying our games once again and its a great feeling to be excited before games.

about watching us.

Last edited:
The difference between my enjoyment of watching us now is immense compered to the last couple of years for sure, and i am starting to enjoy our play again. Will it last? well i am sure there will be downsides along the way ( after all we are Spurs) but bring it on. As for those who will/may wheel out the chocker tag they can fudge off as far as i am concerned as they will moan no matter what. I have no idea where we will finish this season but for sure i am enjoying our games once again and its a great feeling to be excited before games.

about watching us.

Excellent thoughts there ... but grandad I thought the only thing that you get excited about these days is farting and not having to check afterwards

Back