• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Not all 'citizen journalists' are necessarily annoying. I'm OK with We Are Tottenham TV on youtube. They keep their conversations fairly light, tight and bright and decently informative. They aren't self-aggrandizing or say controversial things just to get attention. They don't run on too long either.
They can be very biased on most subjects if i’m honest. They don’t take a very open view on a lot of things and they do like to repeat the same brick over and over again. That being said, it has got better since the summer now we are doing well and the transfer window is closed but in the summer they were complaining about the same brick twice a day.

I tend to avoid fan-run sites or channels during the off-season. Nothing to do but speculate and that gets annoying. But once the season begins, the issues define themselves and set the agenda for better focused comments and discussions. No question, this season has delivered the brightest tone overall on such sites. So, I'm cutting them all a lot of slack. If Ali Gold could get one of his video clips done in less than 20 mins, I might be minded to be more favourably disposed toward him. But I don't think that's likely.

How depressed do you want to get about how badly you've been hoodwinked by the Arse-lovin' journo you've quietly developed a man-crush for?

17256478_screenshot20230320140254twitter_jpeg5a6c3e932902eeeb9bc0cb3b9f600f91

Have you got me on webcam?

Quote in the Maddison pitch side interview

"came in at end of game, buzzing with 2-0 win, Gaffer wasn't happy at all, not good enough in 2nd half, reality check"

This is such an interesting balance, give them freedom, let them express themselves, but also make sure they know anything but their best isn't good enough.

That showboating control off his back from Richarlsion really tinkled Ange off. Probably especially as he lost rhe ball with his next touch.

Quote in the Maddison pitch side interview

"came in at end of game, buzzing with 2-0 win, Gaffer wasn't happy at all, not good enough in 2nd half, reality check"

This is such an interesting balance, give them freedom, let them express themselves, but also make sure they know anything but their best isn't good enough.

Best time to receive criticism.

Obviously easier when we're always doing well, but in general I like that managers are more supportive when things aren't going so well, more critical when things aren't going well.

Really like this from Ange. Nuanced too, acknowledged (in public at least) that there was a lot of effort and good defending in the second half. But we could definitely do better with the ball.

Best time to receive criticism.

Obviously easier when we're always doing well, but in general I like that managers are more supportive when things aren't going so well, more critical when things aren't going well.

Really like this from Ange. Nuanced too, acknowledged (in public at least) that there was a lot of effort and good defending in the second half. But we could definitely do better with the ball.

apparently it’s not, to receive criticism when you are on a high and believe you are doing well is allegedly more physiologically damaging then when you are on even keel or even down.

That’s what I have read anyway.

obviously it depends on a lot of other factors, how the criticism is delivered etc etc.

apparently it’s not, to receive criticism when you are on a high and believe you are doing well is allegedly more physiologically damaging then when you are on even keel or even down.

That’s what I have read anyway.

obviously it depends on a lot of other factors, how the criticism is delivered etc etc.
Praise the good but point out what needs to be improved on, needs to be even handed.

Another puddle of tinkle to scroll past at the start of an Arseletic article about Spurs Hojbjerg from the Arsenal season ticket holder:

An automatic starter for Jose Mourinho and then Antonio Conte — nobody at Spurs, not even
Harry Kane, played more league minutes than Hojbjerg in the previous three seasons — and someone who was broadly good without ever really looking like he would elevate the team beyond top-four hopefuls, he tended to divide supporters, some buying into the Dane’s committed ‘Viking’ image, others frustrated at his technical deficiencies and wondering how tough he really was. Hojbjerg was also generally very close to both Conte and Mourinho; some at the club felt in a borderline sycophantic way, which was not the best association to have in the eyes of most supporters.

I've bolded the weasel words - some, others, most, wondering etc. Lazy or mischief-making writers adopt these vague, unsupported terms to suggest things but offer no real proof or substance. The rest of the article seems generally positive about Hojbjerg but the reader is introduced to the subject through this negatively slanted paragraph.

The line '...without ever really looking like he would elevate the team...'. It's a team game. Bentancur, at the peak of his game, was hurt in early February. Hojbjerg was a great partner in that tandem, but Conte's tactics of playing a sparse two-man midfield needed exactly such a partnership and Skipp et al couldn't provide that, so the SmarterScout stats provided on Hojbjerg's play, especially defending, that season are accordingly effected. But that's conveniently left out.

pierre-emile_hojbjerg_vs_yves_bissouma-2-1536x1396.png

Last years stats for Hojbjerg are used because he hasn't had enough minutes this season to properly compare with Bissouma. While Hojbjerg's passing and attacking stats stack up well with Bissouma, he was bound to suffer defensively due to Conte's tactics and Bentancur's absence.

And then there's the little backhanders at Hojbjerg about his character. Like, 'some at the club felt'. Who? At what level? Head coach? Media room janitor?

Another term that professional editors would never allow me to use - in my scribbling days - is to say someone 'feels'. The writer isn't a mind reader. Quotes have to be used to support that notion and, of course, none are ever used. Except from some freelance Danish journo who apparently knows how Hojbjerg feels:

“He is a guy who needs to feel important to get the best out of him,” says Poul Ferdinand, a freelance journalist in Denmark who has covered its national team for 15 years. “He thrives on being in a leadership group. It’s hard for anyone, but especially for someone like him to be a fringe player.”

That suggests that Hojbjerg has bared his soul to this writer. Quotes please, like, PEH said this to him on such-and-such a date. But no. Just after that, the article goes on to say that, despite being pushed to a secondary role, Hojbjerg has behaved like a model pro - "...nothing but professional..." - and done well when used, playing to his strengths and setting up key goals. Certainly passed the eye test against Fulham. Which renders the Danish journo's quote/opinion pretty meaningless.

Another example of how I see this writer craftily shaping articles to encourage negative perceptions when reading about Spurs. Get 'im out by Friday.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to detail this, having been asked a few days ago. I do see there is some sense in what you’re saying.

One thing though - surely given your background in the media you can see he can’t directly quote people / sources within the club and it’s tantamount to ending any relationship he has - or doesn’t have - with them. It would inevitably lead - my assumption, granted - Hojbjerg banging down the door to them to have it out with the named source, no? Thus creating an issue for the club to sort purely for Eccleshare to satisfy your need for names. Or have I read that wrong?

I do and I don’t understand an obsession on here - not specifically you - with people claiming if a source isn’t named, it’s therefore made up guff, which isn’t always the case. In some cases, it obviously is though.

I find it a v interesting subject, discourse in general and the shaping of fan sentiment in a modern media age, hence the lengthy reply.

Hopefully I’m making sense and you can see if the positive intention behind the probing ie to create sensible conversation!

Last edited:
Saw another side to Ange after and during the game, there were moments when he showed some frustration with some of our play and i had not noticed that before. Good signs that he wants more improvement with some of our play and will encourage the players to do it.

Thank you for taking the time to detail this, having been asked a few days ago. I do see there is some sense in what you’re saying.

One thing though - surely given your background in the media you can see he can’t directly quote people / sources within the club and it’s tantamount to ending any relationship he has - or doesn’t have - with them. It would inevitably lead - my assumption, granted - Hojbjerg banging down the door to them to have it out with the named source, no? Thus creating an issue for the club to sort purely for Eccleshare to satisfy your need for names. Or have I read that wrong?

I do and I don’t understand an obsession on here - not specifically you - with people claiming if a source isn’t named, it’s therefore made up guff, which isn’t always the case. In some cases, it obviously is though.

I find it a v interesting subject, discourse in general and the shaping of fan sentiment in a modern media age, hence the lengthy reply.

Hopefully I’m making sense and you can see if the positive intention behind the probing ie to create sensible conversation!

He's a sly dog with his writing. I know from the first five years of my career working as a newspaper reporter and wire service copy editor.

I get what you're saying, Dave, about protecting sources. But there are plenty of ways to acquire supporting material to go with the 'quiet whispers' alluded to by some writers.

On the other hand, a mischief maker (and Charlie has abundant previous with Spurs) could string together a bunch of banal articles where he can show an editor who he's alluding to in referencing protected sources. Once that process builds up, there's a tendency for an editor to just accept that without question. Even if what's being written is sheer twaddle, it appears plausible.

I don't have the least bit of trust in Eccleshare. If the situation were reversed - a season ticket-holding, lifelong Spurs fan who's taken the pizss out of Arsenal over years of prior media work, holding the Athletic's beat reporter's job - there would be torches and pitchforks - blazing pitchforks - to have that reported ousted. Same would apply to ManU and Liverpool.

Back