• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Let's not get into this. He is a world class manager. Fact. Not suited to our profile in the transfer market.

Exactly this. Conte and Mourinho are top, top managers. They ultimately failed here, albeit Conte had a decent spell in terms of results, but they know the game inside out. And that's why I really think we should rein in some of the stuff I've seen in the last week or so. Yes Ange plays a much better style of football, yes he seems a much better fit for the club, yes he is less of a moany c**t and doesn't give the impression he's doing us a favour by managing our club. But a lot of the problems that Jose and Conte had haven't gone away.

Exactly this. Conte and Mourinho are top, top managers. They ultimately failed here, albeit Conte had a decent spell in terms of results, but they know the game inside out. And that's why I really think we should rein in some of the stuff I've seen in the last week or so. Yes Ange plays a much better style of football, yes he seems a much better fit for the club, yes he is less of a moany c**t and doesn't give the impression he's doing us a favour by managing our club. But a lot of the problems that Jose and Conte had haven't gone away.
Havent they?
I think a lot have
Jose joined because we were gonna back him but covid kicked that in the balls
However I don’t remember him losing the dressing room, just the football games. He seemed to be well liked even when he went.
Conte lost the dressing room early last season and the football was getting worse
His stubbornness also hurt him and the club
Those two were backed with players but were sacked for differing reasons
The stubbornness with Ange is actually all about style too, just a better style more suited to a modern game
The team Ange is putting out, despite having the vast vast majority of players that conte had available, here, is very very different

Havent they?
I think a lot have
Jose joined because we were gonna back him but covid kicked that in the balls
However I don’t remember him losing the dressing room, just the football games. He seemed to be well liked even when he went.
Conte lost the dressing room early last season and the football was getting worse
His stubbornness also hurt him and the club
Those two were backed with players but were sacked for differing reasons
The stubbornness with Ange is actually all about style too, just a better style more suited to a modern game
The team Ange is putting out, despite having the vast vast majority of players that conte had available, here, is very very different

They haven’t.

Jose spectacularly lost the dressing room before he went. The story at the time was that a poll was taken amongst the players and all but 2 wanted him gone.

The biggest problem that both Conte and Mourinho seemed to have was Levy. And I’m not anti Levy. But I do think he’s brought us as far as he can. The way Levy operates is still a problem if our ambition is to compete at the top end of the league.

Ange gets a spate of injuries, as Jose and Conte did, he’ll have to resort to using players who aren’t good enough. Unless we shift a lot of deadwood next week, he’ll also have to manage a situation with a lot of lads who have been frozen out. That won’t be easy particularly if and when results take a turn for the worse.

I believe the atmosphere was great last week. And Ange’s style helps that. However, our fans can be some of the toughest and most fickle in the league. Ange will have a spell where things go badly, happens every coach. How he manages that will be crucial.

They haven’t.

Jose spectacularly lost the dressing room before he went. The story at the time was that a poll was taken amongst the players and all but 2 wanted him gone.

The biggest problem that both Conte and Mourinho seemed to have was Levy. And I’m not anti Levy. But I do think he’s brought us as far as he can. The way Levy operates is still a problem if our ambition is to compete at the top end of the league.

Ange gets a spate of injuries, as Jose and Conte did, he’ll have to resort to using players who aren’t good enough. Unless we shift a lot of deadwood next week, he’ll also have to manage a situation with a lot of lads who have been frozen out. That won’t be easy particularly if and when results take a turn for the worse.

I believe the atmosphere was great last week. And Ange’s style helps that. However, our fans can be some of the toughest and most fickle in the league. Ange will have a spell where things go badly, happens every coach. How he manages that will be crucial.
Just enjoy it mate, don’t over think it.

They haven’t.

Ange has already been using players people thought weren’t good enough
Sanchez has been playing …
Royal has been playing ….
Hell we have a new keeper that people wrote off because they saw him on YouTube

They haven’t.

Biggest problem was Levy???

nah mate, biggest problem was they couldn’t adapt to not being able to buy their way out of slumps. They are great managers but they are system managers, they buy for their system not develop players to fit or adapt the system based on what’s available.

that’s why Poch worked and, on limited evidence, Ange may work.

I loved this on Richarlison and Kane

“I don’t think there’s any use in comparing yourself to something that’s no longer here and is no longer relevant. It would be different if it was on the back of a successful era.”

That's bound to upset a few on here - How dare Ange suggest that Kane wasn't part of a successful era with Spurs, it's like he doesn't have any respect for the Audi cup at all.

I loved this on Richarlison and Kane

“I don’t think there’s any use in comparing yourself to something that’s no longer here and is no longer relevant. It would be different if it was on the back of a successful era.”

Bit of an 'ouch' in that last line.
But more importantly, he's taking the pressure off Richie to be the new Kane and being very blunt about it. That was then, this is now. Let's hope it works.

Bit of an 'ouch' in that last line.
But more importantly, he's taking the pressure off Richie to be the new Kane and being very blunt about it. That was then, this is now. Let's hope it works.
I like it as he's batting back the very narrative that had been used as a stick to beat us / Kane with. If Richie scores 10 goals and we win a trophy that's preferable to the fan base tham 30 goals and nothing.

Would love Richarlison to get off the mark today so the media vultures can move onto someone else.

There was one he scored at home last season that was a cracking finish and the joy / relief was palpable in the ground and amongst the team. It was then disallowed for a toe nail offside

Just enjoy it mate, don’t over think it.

I’m a Tottenham fan. I don’t do this for enjoyment.

Ange has already been using players people thought weren’t good enough
Sanchez has been playing …
Royal has been playing ….
Hell we have a new keeper that people wrote off because they saw him on YouTube

12 months ago, people were lauding the fact Sanchez had played 6 or 7 games and we hadn’t conceded a goal. Then 6 months later he was getting booed by his own fans.

Jesus. Two games versus a season and a half. We’ve had a very encouraging start, I’ve had my doubts about Ange but am absolutely behind him. However, some of the stuff I’m seeing online, I’d be ridiculing other clubs for. Let’s just keep going and see where we are after 10-15 games.
Postecoglu is trying to repeatedly make that sort of point.
Yesterday he tied it in to a journalist trying to get a quote about Richarlison

"We’re two games in, mate, come on! Jeez, you love the big call, don’t ya!" he said. "I never live in that kind of moment where I judge things that quickly. I get why others do. I get it, he should be on six goals, top goalscorer in the league. Everyone said, ‘look he’s going to replace Harry, he’s going to score more goals. But you don't know at this point how many goals he’s going to end up at the end of the year. I thought he played really well. He was a really good link-up for us, especially in the second half when we had the ascendancy.

"If you look back at the passages of play, he was an important part of that. Holding the ball up, playing out wide, being a real presence in the box, I thought he was unlucky on a couple of occasions. It’s come off the crossbar, a couple of scrambles, on another day it falls for him and he scores. He’s in those areas.

"It’s the same as our form. I don’t look at our form and think 'Oh jeez, we’re going to be unbelievable this year'. It's two games, and in those two games, there was some real positive stuff but there was also a lot there that tells me we've got a long way to go.
I get why others get emotional, it's an emotional game, but that's not the way I look at it from my perspective. I thought we needed to be a strong as a team to get a result last week and I thought Richy was an important part of that."

I’m a Tottenham fan. I don’t do this for enjoyment.

12 months ago, people were lauding the fact Sanchez had played 6 or 7 games and we hadn’t conceded a goal. Then 6 months later he was getting booed by his own fans.

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think worrying about the bad times means you can’t enjoy the good. I hope that when the inevitable bad times come, there is enough evidence of the plan. In my opinion, one of the biggest things lacking with Conte and Mourinho was an idea of where we were going. It was all about the here and now. We have an identity again — even if it is early days — and I think most fans will fully buy into it in time (if they haven’t already)

Postecoglu is trying to repeatedly make that sort of point.
Yesterday he tied it in to a journalist trying to get a quote about Richarlison

"We’re two games in, mate, come on! Jeez, you love the big call, don’t ya!" he said. "I never live in that kind of moment where I judge things that quickly. I get why others do. I get it, he should be on six goals, top goalscorer in the league. Everyone said, ‘look he’s going to replace Harry, he’s going to score more goals. But you don't know at this point how many goals he’s going to end up at the end of the year. I thought he played really well. He was a really good link-up for us, especially in the second half when we had the ascendancy.

"If you look back at the passages of play, he was an important part of that. Holding the ball up, playing out wide, being a real presence in the box, I thought he was unlucky on a couple of occasions. It’s come off the crossbar, a couple of scrambles, on another day it falls for him and he scores. He’s in those areas.

"It’s the same as our form. I don’t look at our form and think 'Oh jeez, we’re going to be unbelievable this year'. It's two games, and in those two games, there was some real positive stuff but there was also a lot there that tells me we've got a long way to go.
I get why others get emotional, it's an emotional game, but that's not the way I look at it from my perspective. I thought we needed to be a strong as a team to get a result last week and I thought Richy was an important part of that."

Fair play to him, he’s seeing and saying the right things. There is a particularly strong sense of knee jerking this season. Two games in, where they’ve won one and lost to a top 7 rival and people are talking about United and Ten Hag as if theyre in crisis. Apparently one of the papers ran a “Poch on the rocks” headline in the week.

I know sensationalism sells but it’s fudging ridiculous.

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think worrying about the bad times means you can’t enjoy the good. I hope that when the inevitable bad times come, there is enough evidence of the plan. In my opinion, one of the biggest things lacking with Conte and Mourinho was an idea of where we were going. It was all about the here and now. We have an identity again — even if it is early days — and I think most fans will fully buy into it in time.

Indeed.
And, personally, I was still able to enjoy parts of the Mourinho and Conte times. Quite a lot of them in fact. I appreciate that, especially with Jose, some fans got very precious - in part due to the departure of Poch - and started out with a dim view. But there were still a number of games and periods that I revelled in, even while the storm clouds seemed to be gathering

Biggest problem was Levy???

nah mate, biggest problem was they couldn’t adapt to not being able to buy their way out of slumps. They are great managers but they are system managers, they buy for their system not develop players to fit or adapt the system based on what’s available.

that’s why Poch worked and, on limited evidence, Ange may work.

Both have taken swipes as Levy and how the club operates. Even Poch did to an extent. Mourinho and Conte wanted good, apparently affordable defenders and got Rodon and Lenglet respectively. Nothing to do with system, they just got yellow-pack versions of what they wanted which is fundamental to any success. They both saw the way the club operates as a problem.

Both have taken swipes as Levy and how the club operates. Even Poch did to an extent. Mourinho and Conte wanted good, apparently affordable defenders and got Rodon and Lenglet respectively. Nothing to do with system, they just got yellow-pack versions of what they wanted which is fundamental to any success. They both saw the way the club operates as a problem.

A manager with only one way of working is a manager soon out of a job.

Back