• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

If this is true, it was by very fine margins. The danger here is saying “Ange is to blame totally, this is a black mark.”

We lost on pens. Away. To a good PL team.

Not saying you’re doing it, I can’t tell from your post, but making definitive or absolute judgements on Ange for this is wrong. We lost on what’s effectively a lottery situation.
If we played a stronger team there was a decent chance (not certain) that we wouldn't have got into the lottery situation.

Ange has been coaching for 40 odd years. He would have known the risks. Hell, we all know them. Rotating 9 players can lead to a disjointed performance. He rolled the dice and lost on penalties.
He didn't roll the dice. As he said in his interview (restraining himself from getting prickly)...these are all Tottenham players, that need to play, when else will I find out about them. That's his reasons for doing it.

Our reasons for not doing it are. 1. We have seen massively changed teams before and know how it turns out. 2. We want a trophy, and without Europe this looks a better than ever time to go for it.
That's OUR baggage.
Ange doesn't have that. His focus is carrying on his path.

Besides the result wasn't awful...I'm sure we'll roll up to the Cottage in the PL with our best team and have a tough game of it.

It's a shame we didn't have an easier draw.

Based on last seasons league table finishes, the top two round 2 seeds were drawn against each other.

He didn't roll the dice. As he said in his interview (restraining himself from getting prickly)...these are all Tottenham players, that need to play, when else will I find out about them. That's his reasons for doing it.

Our reasons for not doing it are. 1. We have seen massively changed teams before and know how it turns out. 2. We want a trophy, and without Europe this looks a better than ever time to go for it.
That's OUR baggage.
Ange doesn't have that. His focus is carrying on his path.

Besides the result wasn't awful...I'm sure we'll roll up to the Cottage in the PL with our best team and have a tough game of it.

It's a shame we didn't have an easier draw.

Based on last seasons league table finishes, the top two round 2 seeds were drawn against each other.

9 changes was excessive though.

9 changes was excessive though.
Yes I'd agree. But I'm thinking from the Spurs fan POV. Ange isn't. He's filtering and sifting, making decisions about players. He has a deadline coming up on Friday (?) We wouldn't want him doing that in league games.

One thing that does show his lack of knowledge is letting Sanchez take a penalty.
If there were only 5 volunteers, fair enough.
But if I'm looking for mindset and technique, he doesn't get chosen.

Yes I'd agree. But I'm thinking from the Spurs fan POV. Ange isn't. He's filtering and sifting, making decisions about players. He has a deadline coming up on Friday (?) We wouldn't want him doing that in league games.

One thing that does show his lack of knowledge is letting Sanchez take a penalty.
If there were only 5 volunteers, fair enough.
But if I'm looking for mindset and technique, he doesn't get chosen.

Ange will live and die by his decisions. As for penalties he may simply have asked the players who was up for it? I admit though when sanchez stepped up i hada moment of doubt.

What's done is done though. Lets get 3 points in the next game and put this down to experience.

Ange will live and die by his decisions. As for penalties he may simply have asked the players who was up for it? I admit though when sanchez stepped up i hada moment of doubt.

What's done is done though. Lets get 3 points in the next game and put this down to experience.
Looking at the players that finished the game not too many penalty takers jump out. I presume PEH would’ve taken the 5th. Who’s left… Davies, Sarr, Scarlett?

Ange made too MANY changes and i think most of us looked at that team and thought we may struggle here. I hope he accepts that and we can move on. He has been great so far so onwards and upwards.

What will be interesting is the leeway Ange gets for his decisions from fans/media and also whether he quickly realizes how unforgiving/relentless this level of football is.

Eg you could play a weakened/experimental team at Celtic and still likely get a result.

Edit: that said, he hasn't really got many decisions to make this season....just pick the best team for the PL every week :)

I reckon we'll change 9 players on Saturday and see an immediate improvement. :D

I do agree with the wider sentiment hough. One or two could slot in and be carried by the first team. We could probably have blended 4 or 5 yesterday and controlled the game more.

In the new first team set up the midfield is dominant it eases the pressure on the defence, the first choice defence is all technically competent and more athletic and Maddison is on another level for ball carrying and creativity. The front 3 was pretty much the same performance as the league games imo, reliant on service rather than making something happen.

This basically, make 3/4 changes and maybe use some of the others as subs.

Looking at the players that finished the game not too many penalty takers jump out. I presume PEH would’ve taken the 5th. Who’s left… Davies, Sarr, Scarlett?
Davies Sarr VDV Skipp Royal PEH (not Scarlett)

I'd score all of them above Sanchez on a combined score total of technique and mentality.

Of course Ange might not know this. He's new.

Ange's argument that those players need gametime is totally fair enough. But giving all of that gametime in a cup game, rather than giving some of it in the prior league game, indicates that he is prioritising the league over the cups. To me that is just undebatable. Whether you're happy or not with that is just a subjective preference I guess.

(And certainly if he had made some changes in the Bournemouth game, e.g. rotating out Biss / Maddison / Kulu / Son / Udogie / Romero etc, and we'd lost, then no doubt he would have got criticism for that too).

Davies Sarr VDV Skipp Royal PEH (not Scarlett)

I'd score all of them above Sanchez on a combined score total of technique and mentality.

Of course Ange might not know this. He's new.
I'm sure Ange knew enough about our footballers before he had even stepped through the door to know Sanchez was not one of the more 'technical' players.

It can only be a case of him going with who wanted to take one, and as Sanchez did step up he quite clearly has a better mentality than some of those you mention who did not step forward....

I'm sure Ange knew enough about our footballers before he had even stepped through the door to know Sanchez was not one of the more 'technical' players.

It can only be a case of him going with who wanted to take one, and as Sanchez did step up he quite clearly has a better mentality than some of those you mention who did not step forward....
We don't actually know how many volunteered.
If it was the 5, fair enough. And I would never criticise Sanchez for taking one.
Stepping up to take one, doesn't prove you have a better mentality, and sometimes it's up to an outsider to gauge that.
Out of the ten....none of us would choose Sanchez. And that's born out of watching him for 7 years. Despite what you say Ange doesn't have that history.

I'm probably more disappointed with Fraser, he had a very good game, then went all Peter Shilton for the spot kicks

Back