• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

I feel there is something to be said that Ange has said lately that getting too 4 won’t define or change his tenure/ approach.

And that we’re not yet a champions league club.

But then expecting the supporters to be psyched for an outside shot at top 4.

Get he’s not a boxing promoter but he hardly promoted excitement with what he was saying. I don’t hold it against him but he was covering his own back and playing down expectations, and expectations of o ur ability to compete in the champions league at this moment in time.

Can hardly blame people for being resigned to missing out, and resigned to not competing anyhow even if we do- given that’s exactly what he’s been trying to say.

It was a weird set of circumstances last night. If we won I was happy but sad. If we had lost I would have been sad but happy.

The manager can't be expected to get his head around that. If you had offered me 5th at the start of the season after losing the best striker we've had in 50 years and one of the best players in the history of this country has ever produced I would have ripped your arm off.

His quote is a good one. He is saying he wants to change our focus. And I know it's what I always say... Because it's true...but because of teflon Dan leading us for a quarter of a century of failure we have become...well some of us. Victims of Stockholm syndrome. We expect failure and tolerate it. He is saying he wants to change that. And he is saying he can do it.

I wanted to win last night because we had the chance to get 4th. But I respect other opinions. It's always been about the 2nd season onwards with Ange. We have to give him at least 4 years. The football when it works is spectacular at times. It's fudging annoying when we play from the back and have to pass it into the stands. But this is a personell problem. Not a system.

Levy must go before Ange goes.

Well done. Somehow turned fans wanting us to lose into a dig at levy.

I’m getting the sense with Ange that he may be a little out of his depth. Which is not to say he won’t grow into the role or anything but he keeps spouting as if he knows the secrets to success and we just need to listen and follow. Fact is, he’s completely unproven at this level. Yeah he’s won trophies in Australia, Japan and Scotland but this is light years away from that.

Getting involved with a fan like that last night, digging out the support, some of the performances, tactics and decisions in recent months…those things don’t point to the Messianic figure he seems to paint himself as.

Ange has had a good first season on the whole. Not spectacular. Not hugely successful. But good. Better than expected. He should focus on the things he can control to do even better next year and make himself a better manager.

Comparing him to Arteta seeing as Arsenal are a prime topic he isn't any different to him at the start. Scores and scores of interviews of hownhe wanted to play, the belief of how he wanted to play, him saying "if the players do get it they will go" and overall the statements about changing the footballing and mentality, we used to mock him for the mentality part but how right he was......unfortunately

Any manager should be saying "I know what I'm trying to achieve and if backed we will get there" I wouldn't want a manager that doesn't say that, I suspect he says more outwardly because frankly the weakness we all know that has existed still exists mentally.l, if it wasn't Ange saying it someone else would because who the manager is doesn't change the facts

Ultimately Conte said the same but didn't want to stay round to change it

I feel there is something to be said that Ange has said lately that getting too 4 won’t define or change his tenure/ approach.

Get he’s not a boxing promoter but he hardly promoted excitement with what he was saying. I don’t hold it against him but he was covering his own back and playing down expectations, and expectations of o ur ability to compete in the champions league at this moment in time.

Can hardly blame people for being resigned to missing out, and resigned to not competing anyhow even if we do- given that’s exactly what he’s been trying to say.

I've not heard him say that. He's said top 4 is not the goal. Meaning he wants more. He wants trophies.

They’re two points behind Emirates Marketing Project. If we had won or drawn it would have been in Arsenal’s hands. How do you not understand that? Both teams play at home and yes anything can happen but you would put money on both teams winning. You’d be the happiest person in the world if you swap Arsenal for Liverpool in this situation right now and honestly it’s getting a bit grating seeing other fans getting on their high horses about us being happy that we hurt our rivals chances. You truly don’t understand that but you’d be all for us throwing the game if it was Liverpool?
This is arsenal, the easier it is, the more unlikely they are to do it.

Everybody understands the rival impact, nobody has an issue with laughing at Arsenal AFTER the game

My issue (I won't speak for others) is fudging cheering the opposition, in game, in our stadium .. can you not understand that?

I wasn’t there but I can imagine it was relief after being put in a bricky situation and the feeling of “oh well, city are winning now/the game is over so we might as well revel in it”.

Think people are forgetting ange's job is on the line. He massively wants to be successful with us. Our own wanting us to lose must be a bit hurtful. Especially when we had a chance to get cl football.

So to the fans saying he should understand how they feel. Maybe try and understand how he feels.

His job is indeed on the line, but he himself said CL is not important, not the be-all-and-end-all etc which is/was fair enough. But then he can't complain if some fans took a similar attitude to it for one game because it had a bad effect on our rivals.

The more i think about it, the more it can be said he's trying to deflect the spotlight from him a little from being scrutinised on the progressively worse ways we've been playing since January...

Ange better make sure we beat Sheffield United to clinch fifth and actually i think he won't look good at all if we don't keep a clean sheet yet again...

His job is indeed on the line, but he himself said CL is not important, not the be-all-and-end-all etc which is/was fair enough. But then he can't complain if some fans took a similar attitude to it for one game because it had a bad effect on our rivals.

The more i think about it, the more it can be said he's trying to deflect the spotlight from him a little from being scrutinised on the progressively worse ways we've been playing since January...

Ange better make sure we beat Sheffield United to clinch fifth and actually i think he won't look good at all if we don't keep a clean sheet yet again...

On what planet is Anges job on the line?

fudging hell. People are getting hysterical.

Is he deflection or is it us the fans deflecting? Those that don't wanna own the wanting us to lose looking for excuses "ohhhh but Ange made me do it" its all abit 7th grade

Also our League and therefore CL form doesn't really matter in all this, us not beating Arsenal the other week means last nights Hobsons choice would remain even if we were comfortably in the CL place as I doubt Ange would wanna lose a game in any situation

The only way we change last nights situation is beating Arsenal at home and frankly as much as we don't like them they are better than us and 5 years ahead of Ange in their project, the idea we blame Ange and thus last night being his fault......not for me.

He said getting cl is not the goal. If you can't understand what his goal is, that's on you.

Is he deflection or is it us the fans deflecting? Those that don't wanna own the wanting us to lose looking for excuses "ohhhh but Ange made me do it" its all abit 7th grade

Also our League and therefore CL form doesn't really matter in all this, us not beating Arsenal the other week means last nights Hobsons choice would remain even if we were comfortably in the CL place as I doubt Ange would wanna lose a game in any situation

The only way we change last nights situation is beating Arsenal at home and frankly as much as we don't like them they are better than us and 5 years ahead of Ange in their project, the idea we blame Ange and thus last night being his fault......not for me.

Online here i see there's been a lot of back-and-forth about the fans at the game yesterday and in general about some wanting us to lose to stop Arsenal.
Ange has mentioned the fragile mentality of the club and he might have a point to an extent.

I take issue with that fragility being because of the fans in the same way i'd take issue with our poor defence of set-pieces, progressively worse play since January etc being because of the fans/fans mentality. Last night was just one game and wasn't the sole reason we didn't get CL.

Think people are forgetting ange's job is on the line. He massively wants to be successful with us. Our own wanting us to lose must be a bit hurtful. Especially when we had a chance to get cl football.

So to the fans saying he should understand how they feel. Maybe try and understand how he feels.

Tbh, rather than the specifics of last night I think the attitude is just jarring for him...and anything against his beliefs, principals presses his buttons.

But that is, of course, from his pov as a manager.

He said getting cl is not the goal. If you can't understand what his goal is, that's on you.

I totally understand what he means and agree, but also understand that the 'fragility' of the club is part of his job to sort out and not really for the fans to sort out..

I think it’s fair to say the fans are deflecting, but Ange is too. Before the game he said he’s not going to tell the fans how to feel and he gets rivalries having managed Celtic. He sounds like he’s doing the exact opposite now. He was also quite vague. If he’s having a pop at the fans then say it, he opened up a can of worms claiming it was “inside the club” as well. Is he saying the players didn’t want to win? It would be helpful if he clarified his comments. I don’t like it if he’s having a go at the fans for being happy that we didn’t help Arsenal, even if it came at a cost to ourselves. But I’ve said before, I think if a win guarantees top 4 or even takes us above Villa, I think it’s a completely different situation and atmosphere. But a win to maybe, sort of, kind of give us hope and we also need Villa to lose AND we also need to do our jobs against Sheffield United? It’s a big ask and an unfortunate situation to be put in. He’s an intelligent, he’s got to understand why fans felt conflicted.

Online here i see there's been a lot of back-and-forth about the fans at the game yesterday and in general about some wanting us to lose to stop Arsenal.
Ange has mentioned the fragile mentality of the club and he might have a point to an extend. I take issue with that fragility being because of the fans in the same way i'd take issue with our poor defence of set-pieces, progressively worse play since January etc being because of the fans/fans mentality. Last night was just one game and wasn't the sole reason we didn't get CL.

So the retort is that Ange does not have a point because he has not been able to solve all Spurs issues in one season?

Everyone that wanted us to lose is owning it from what i have seen - the comments you are referring to above are in response to the manager calling that attitude out and how it can be seen slightly contradictory to what he has said/done previously.

So the retort is that Ange does not have a point because he has not been able to solve all Spurs issues in one season?

No my point is he should have left the comment to the side for now and maybe bring it up later, like the summer etc.

He has enough questions he could rightfully be asked without getting into that stuff, it looks like he's kind of deflecting

Back