• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welbeck

I am not wanting this signing but that is built on (a) persistently winding up my Man U mates during England matches by saying he is crap (b) I still wake up in the night screaming over the frazier frickin campbell debacle.

On BBC deadline day ticker:

Welbeck to Spurs?

Posted at

"It looks set to be a familiarly busy deadline day at White Hart Lane as Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino tries to put the finishing touches to his squad. While there are likely to be a number of outgoings - Lewis Holtby, Sandro and Aaron Lennon the most high-profile candidates - bigger news is a potential incoming, with Manchester United forward Danny Welbeck a definite target. I'm told by one source that discussions between Tottenham, United and the player's representatives took place until 01:00 BST today so that is certainly one to watch as the 23:00 BST deadline looms."

I'm sure there were MANY examples of him NOT being awful in the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons, in the league Champions league and internationally (including for England as he scored a delightful goal in Euro 2012:-")

Maybe you haven't watched him enough?

Samaras has scored some goals for Greece, and I remember him doing well in three or four city games as well. Has better stats in Europe also.

Don't try to convince me of Welbeck's quality by bringing up England, that's the worst way to do it. That's like trying to convince someone of the friendliness of Germans and giving them a biography of Hitler.

Guessing he'd play behind Adebayor on left, meaning Chadli will drop to the bench? Am not Welbeck's biggest fan but I think that improves us.

Samaras has scored some goals for Greece, and I remember him doing well in three or four city games as well. Has better stats in Europe also.

Don't try to convince me of Welbeck's quality by bringing up England, that's the worst way to do it. That's like trying to convince someone of the friendliness of Germans and giving them a biography of Hitler.

:ross: at the bolded bit.

However I stand by my assertion that your statement that you have "watched him be awful at football pretty much every time I've seen him play" must mean you just haven't seen the games in the periods i mentioned when he was NOT awful.
You might not like him or think he is good enough fair enough. But he HAS had periods when he was NOT awful for Manure AND England.
You don't score the kind of goal he did for England vs Sweden in Euro 2012 and be "awful at footbal pretty much every time"

Personally I think Welbeck is a decent player. Can play either wide left, right or through the middle, works hard for his team, has some pace, is physical enough and has proved that he can score goals in this league.

Swapping Soldado's squad place for Welbeck would strengthen us in terms of cover to Ade up front and also a better starting option than Chadli on the left.

If there's a deal to be done for a reasonable fee then it is a signing that makes sense.

I think one of the contract stipulations should we sign him should be that he gets rid of that stupid table top haircut he has.

:ross: at the bolded bit.

However I stand by my assertion that your statement that you have "watched him be awful at football pretty much every time I've seen him play" must mean you just haven't seen the games in the periods i mentioned when he was NOT awful.
You might not like him or think he is good enough fair enough. But he HAS had periods when he was NOT awful for Manure AND England.
You don't score the kind of goal he did for England vs Sweden in Euro 2012 and be "awful at footbal pretty much every time"

Pretty much is the sneaky get out clause, I've seen him do okay under one of the best managers the world has ever seen but still seen flaws in his game. I know he's young and got time to improve and something that's probably put me off has been the ridiculous hype that's followed him throughout his career. As I've said, if he comes here I'd love him to prove me wrong, perhaps a fresh start could be really good for him, but if it's on loan without a view to a permanent transfer then that would seem pretty weak from us.

Pretty much is the sneaky get out clause, I've seen him do okay under one of the best managers the world has ever seen but still seen flaws in his game. I know he's young and got time to improve and something that's probably put me off has been the ridiculous hype that's followed him throughout his career. As I've said, if he comes here I'd love him to prove me wrong, perhaps a fresh start could be really good for him, but if it's on loan without a view to a permanent transfer then that would seem pretty weak from us.

I certainly do worry that Fergies's skills did make a fair few Manure players look more than mediocre...

Can you elaborate what you mean by the bolded bit?

I certainly do worry that Fergies's skills did make a fair few Manure players look more than mediocre...

Can you elaborate what you mean by the bolded bit?

I think he's saying it'd be stupid to just loan him then give him back. If he has a great season with us, his value goes up, we developed him, and aside from our league position, we get nothing from it. Loan to buy is the only way this deal makes sense.

I think he's saying it'd be stupid to just loan him then give him back. If he has a great season with us, his value goes up, we developed him, and aside from our league position, we get nothing from it. Loan to buy is the only way this deal makes sense.

Bingo!

It's a feeder club mentality. If he comes in, absolutely sets the league on fire scoring 25 goals in the league (8-[) and we don't have a transfer fee in place that's reasonable then we'll have a lot of other competition for him. Then comes the problem that if we have to pay through the teeth for what we have had already in the previous season, other clubs improve around us whilst we pay premium just to keep the status quo

Bingo!

It's a feeder club mentality. If he comes in, absolutely sets the league on fire scoring 25 goals in the league (8-[) and we don't have a transfer fee in place that's reasonable then we'll have a lot of other competition for him. Then comes the problem that if we have to pay through the teeth for what we have had already in the previous season, other clubs improve around us whilst we pay premium just to keep the status quo

Oh I see...thanks for clarifying.

I agree, that would be silly to do that; However surely this is Levy's speciality, no?

Loan to buy still means Welbeck himself could decline the move. Only way to do it is what City are doing with Valencia where the contract is a loan and a guaranteed signing next year for x amount. We could do that but then if he flops we have to sign him.

Back