• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VW Scirocco - any good?

SpursLodge

Nicola Berti
I'm thinking of getting a VW Scirocco but wondered if any of you guys have one or have driven one and can let me know what they're like. I'm looking at a 2.0 TDI.

In a nutshell:

Nice styling - essentially a Golf

If you are happy with VW's built quality - not a bad looking motor at all

oh yeah, it's a great looking car, just wanted to make sure it's reliable and comfortable and that kind of thing.

YG09ZST-000_4x3.jpg

Attachments

• YG09ZST-000_4x3.jpg
    YG09ZST-000_4x3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 7
As reliable as a Golf

Slightly 'stiffer' suspension due to its sporty nature

Take one out for a spin - space is somewhat tight if you are planning on commuting with lots of passangers

As reliable as a Golf

Slightly 'stiffer' suspension due to its sporty nature

Take one out for a spin - space is somewhat tight if you are planning on commuting with lots of passangers
This is the biggest problem. If you expect to have people in the back or - worse - out kids in in a child seat, forget it!

An ex-colleague has one. Looks lovely. Drives OK but nothing spectacular to set the heart racing.

This is the biggest problem. If you expect to have people in the back or - worse - out kids in in a child seat, forget it!

not too much of a problem, I have a TT coupe at the moment and I suspect there is even less space in the back of that, we have a golf for family days out, this would be my commute car for me only, just growing up and need something with a bit better mpg hence the diesel but still want something that looks decent and is at least a bit of fun to drive.

Any other car suggestions?

not too much of a problem, I have a TT coupe at the moment and I suspect there is even less space in the back of that, we have a golf for family days out, this would be my commute car for me only, just growing up and need something with a bit better mpg hence the diesel but still want something that looks decent and is at least a bit of fun to drive.

Any other car suggestions?

a BMW

What is your budget? New or second hand?

To be honest - since you already have a Golf - essentially you'd be replacing it with the same thing with a superior bodykit

a BMW

What is your budget? New or second hand?

To be honest - since you already have a Golf - essentially you'd be replacing it with the same thing with a superior bodykit
I concur.

Frankly, there is very little else - if anything - in the "sensible" bracket that's as pleasing to drive.

I've now had a 320d Touring in Sport+ trim for over a year. It's bloody fantastic for what it is. And that coming from an S2000 being my daily driver.

I test drove Audis, Mercs and Jags, and while all had positives compared to the BMW, dynamics were always better in the BMW. Mostly by quite a long stretch.

Guessing you'd be looking at something like a 120d for similar'ish pricing to the Scirocco?

The 2-litre BMW diesel power plant is very impressive. Not sure if the 120d gets the same one as the 320d, but it has ample power (the 5-Series I test drove had the same engine and felt pretty good, even of I'd have liked a bit ore oomph for the extra weight), and emissions were so far ahead of the competition it was embarrassing.

Mind - I still get a bigger grin when I take the S2000 out at weekends!

I concur.

Frankly, there is very little else - if anything - in the "sensible" bracket that's as pleasing to drive.

I've now had a 320d Touring in Sport+ trim for over a year. It's bloody fantastic for what it is. And that coming from an S2000 being my daily driver.

I test drove Audis, Mercs and Jags, and while all had positives compared to the BMW, dynamics were always better in the BMW. Mostly by quite a long stretch.

Guessing you'd be looking at something like a 120d for similar'ish pricing to the Scirocco?

The 2-litre BMW diesel power plant is very impressive. Not sure if the 120d gets the same one as the 320d, but it has ample power (the 5-Series I test drove had the same engine and felt pretty good, even of I'd have liked a bit ore oomph for the extra weight), and emissions were so far ahead of the competition it was embarrassing.

Mind - I still get a bigger grin when I take the S2000 out at weekends!

Only problem is I just don't like the look of BMWs, the 1 series or the 3 series, to me they just look a bit dull and the interior doesn't do it for me either. I do like the Alfa Spider but I don't think I could trust an Alfas reliability.

I'm looking at about £12-15k so second hand Scirocco, maybe 3 years old. Anything else you guys can think of that

I know what you mean about the looks of the BMWs. I actually think the equivalent C-Class is nicer looking. The interior... well, y'know what? I thought it was a bit... ummm... dull too. But, what I will say is that for driver focus, not a lot compares in class. Simple and very effective.

If you want a bit more excitement, what about a Seat? The sporty Leon variants are fantastic drives. I would certainly take a Leon over a Scirocco.

Or, how could I forget this, a Civic Type-R. Not the FD2 variant mind. The EP3. Lovely car. Bit boy racer, but had for well below your budget second hand for utterly impeccable condition.

Last edited:
Nice looking motor but the car doesn't justify the price imo.

For the money they are asking you can get a nice BMW or Audi that are in different league.

Only problem is I just don't like the look of BMWs, the 1 series or the 3 series, to me they just look a bit dull and the interior doesn't do it for me either. I do like the Alfa Spider but I don't think I could trust an Alfas reliability.

I'm looking at about £12-15k so second hand Scirocco, maybe 3 years old. Anything else you guys can think of that

You can pick up a 4 year old 3-series convertible for that kind of pessos - M-Sport package even, albeit with a smaller engine - which is fantastic looking, and even more so with the top down. Hard roof too - no water/squeaky flimflam. It is an exponentially better motor than any VW.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...50aj?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...rs?logcode=hlp

Since I can't edit my posts - the above reccommendation is in reponse to your 'styiling' concern and the fact your original choice (the VW) was a motor of good looks

I have the 2 litre TFSI petrol, bought it a year ago at one year old. Took it to Austria for holiday this summer. 800 miles in one hit with wife and family and luggage.

It'll be alright for your commute. Lovely little car, if stupidly priced new (2.0TFSI with DSG, leather, nav sunroof, 19" alloys would have been £33k new).

Other one to look at would be the Megane Coupe.

Now I dont really know much about cars, but surely thats a womans car?

If this is for driving to work in, you need a big man-car.

Back