• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

Wanyama is a more out-and-out defensive midfielder than Dier imo.
If we were playing a 4-2-3-1 and wanted to bring in a player (when Dembele is not available or even to replace Dembele in a game) who transitions the ball quicker to the attackers from deep, it would make more sense to play such a player (e.g. Carroll, Mason or if Bentaleb was staying) alongside Wanyama than alongside Dier.

In the Saudi Sportswashing Machine home game last season, if it was Wanyama alongside Carroll i don't think Saudi Sportswashing Machine would have been able to get a foothold in the game they way they did in the last 20 mins or so.

Plenty of room, tactical manouvre etc for both Dier and Wanyama to play VERY key roles for us this season. Just need to be more clinical up front imo.

I love it that he scored in his 2nd game for us when he barely scored last season for the saints, that builds confidence exponentially

I honestly believe that if we had been able to bring Wanyama into the club last season, it would have had a more positive effect on Mason and Carrrol and their ability to step into the team when Dembele is not there..

He looks like a good passer to me, got a bit of drive when he decides to run with the ball too. Great signing.

He had is best game for us so far, excellent signing and he will become a very important player for us.

Agree with the above comments. I thought the Dembele/Wanyama pairing worked very well yesterday. They bossed the central area of the pitch and looked very solid and tidy in possession.

Love the guy. Think he can really develop the attacking side of his game. Its there, we can see glimpses of what he can do. But I wouldn't say his passing is always sharp. What's exciting is what is to come with him. He can become an all round machine, playing out from the back, and defending. I don't think there will be room for defensive midfielders soon, we need all round players who can attack and defend. Both Wanyama and Dier have the ability to be those players.

Agree with the above comments. I thought the Dembele/Wanyama pairing worked very well yesterday. They bossed the central area of the pitch and looked very solid and tidy in possession.

But let us remember it was Sunderland hardly the quality of opposition that was straining every sinew to break us down!
Let us revisit this when we have played City.

But let us remember it was Sunderland hardly the quality of opposition that was straining every sinew to break us down!
Id prefer that partnership against Emirates Marketing Project rather than Sunderland. I think we only need one of the two of them in there at home vs lesser quality teams....

That will be a huge test as they are clearly the best team in the league at the moment.... However we currently have the (joint) best defensive record in the league and hopefully we will still have this after the City game is out of the way.

Id prefer that partnership against Emirates Marketing Project rather than Sunderland. I think we only need one of the two of them in there at home vs lesser quality teams....
I disagree completely.... Against teams that sit back against us it is very important to ensure we have a defensive screen.

Against Monaco we had only one player in midfield who's natural game involves always staying behind the ball (Dier). As a result if Monaco beat our initial press they were pretty much immediately running at our back 5. I thought our shape against Monaco looked much better in the 2nd half when we added Dembele as a second player who naturally remains behind the ball. Aside from adding to our defensive strength in the event of the opposition winning it and playing it through our press, it also gives our attacking players a further easy option in passing backwards to keep possession.

Personally I think the way that we play the game necessitates having any 2 of the 3 of Wanyama, Dembele and Dier in midfield. If we replace any of those with a more attacking player then it makes us extremely susceptible to counter attacks.

Personally I think the way that we play the game necessitates having any 2 of the 3 of Wanyama, Dembele and Dier in midfield. If we replace any of those with a more attacking player then it makes us extremely susceptible to counter attacks.

You're a closet 80's Forest fan ;)

I had the benefit of knowing the result before I watched the match and viewing that way does make for more objectivity in assessing performances I think. Yes, it is certainly true that we will come up against much better opposition but I still think the partnership worked very well, in much the same way the Dier/Dembele partnerships works.

My main complaint is we pass from side to side in our half far too much, it must be an attempt to hypnotise the opposition.

The tempo just needs some umph!
I agree we do move it around the back a lot but I do think it is a ploy to draw the opposition out rather than keeping possession for the sake of it in AVB'esque fashion.

I agree we do move it around the back a lot but I do think it is a ploy to draw the opposition out rather than keeping possession for the sake of it in AVB'esque fashion.

Problem for me is that I haven't seen us actually draw the opposition out with this tactic. They seem to be wise to it and most are happy to sit back and not overcommit.
Certainly against Monaco and S'land we were doing it when both teams were happy as were either winning or had a valuable point in the bag.
I long for the game where we come flying out of the traps and get an early goal or two, then we can play our back 5 sideways passing tricks.

Problem for me is that I haven't seen us actually draw the opposition out with this tactic. They seem to be wise to it and most are happy to sit back and not overcommit.
Certainly against Monaco and S'land we were doing it when both teams were happy as were either winning or had a valuable point in the bag.
I long for the game where we come flying out of the traps and get an early goal or two, then we can play our back 5 sideways passing tricks.

Does not like we training the youngster the umph "flying out of the traps" tactic either :eek: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-eight-minutes-steers-young-Reds-victory.html

That will be a huge test as they are clearly the best team in the league at the moment.... However we currently have the (joint) best defensive record in the league and hopefully we will still have this after the City game is out of the way.

I disagree completely.... Against teams that sit back against us it is very important to ensure we have a defensive screen.

Against Monaco we had only one player in midfield who's natural game involves always staying behind the ball (Dier). As a result if Monaco beat our initial press they were pretty much immediately running at our back 5. I thought our shape against Monaco looked much better in the 2nd half when we added Dembele as a second player who naturally remains behind the ball. Aside from adding to our defensive strength in the event of the opposition winning it and playing it through our press, it also gives our attacking players a further easy option in passing backwards to keep possession.

I agree. The other option that we could have but don't currently use, is a deep lying playmaker to sit alongside Dier or Wanyama.

Back