• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victimpool FC - Klopp leaving, grown men crying

holy brick, just seen that Mata isn't even on the list.

82530420.gif

explanation :

There is no Fink Tank column that makes me more nervous than the one announcing our player of the season. But also few that I enjoy more.

When we do ordinary probabilities, I am robustly confident. The same goes for our explosion of footballing myths. This week I told a legend of the game that the worst time to concede a goal was not just before half-time.

And he replied that it was the worst time, because the manager would shout at him in the dressing room.

But from experience I know that measuring performance is hard and that people get very cross about the outcome.

Nevertheless, the work we do with Castrol on player ranking is intriguing because, while I can often (not always) spot the player of the year before looking at the figures, it usually shines a light on players whose contribution I should have appreciated but didn’t.

Dr Henry Stott, Dr Mark Latham and Gabriella Lebrecht have been looking at every move made on the field and relating them to the contribution they make to goals scored and defended.

In Europe, Cristiano Ronaldo, of Real Madrid, has overtaken Lionel Messi, his rival at Barcelona.
The system measures players per minute, showing the contribution made. This demonstrates the ability of Emirates Marketing Project players, with five (David Silva, Vincent Kompany, Yaya Touré, Carlos Tévez and Pablo Zabaleta) in the top ten. Chelsea have only one player in the top 20, but Demba Ba picked up most of his ranking points while he was at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Oddly, Juan Mata is only 24th and Eden Hazard, his team-mate at Chelsea, 62nd on this measure.
But for the player of the season we use total contribution rather than per minute, because getting on the pitch is part of it.

This measure shoots Steven Gerrard, the Liverpool and England captain, up to fourth (from twelfth), which is one of his highest positions. Gareth Bale, of Tottenham Hotspur, drops from third per minute to seventh because he has played less than others.

Leon Osman, of Everton, and Leighton Baines, his team-mate, are up there. And it is clear that there hasn’t been enough talk about Santi Cazorla, because he finishes third for his efforts with Arsenal.
The Fink Tank numbers care if you have been sent off because you can’t score goals while not playing. But the numbers don’t make moral judgments.

The runner-up is Robin van Persie, such a hit in his first year with Manchester United, and the Fink Tank Player of the Season 2012-13? Luis Suárez.

So if a player played every minute, of every game, they automatically get a higher rating?

And the review suggests players are rewarded for getting on the pitch? How about players who are injured, so they are penalised for being injured?!

Ridiculous scoring system!!

Just want to take a moment to remember Jamie Carragher who has popped up with a few important goals for us over the years #ThanksCarra

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher admits he is surprised that no other club tried to sign him during his career.

If he played for Bolton no one would give a toss. One of the most overrated players the game saw in decades.

If he played for Bolton no one would give a toss.

He wouldn't be getting his sky sports deal if he played for Bolton. I think his retirement comes as a double blow. We lose one of the top goalscorers against Liverpool and we have to listen to him sounding like Flipper next season.

He only got into the Liverpool team because of the brick they had at the time, think Phil Babb and Jason McAteer, and then managed to stay in because of his heroic last ditch tackling (caused by him being out of position in the first place). He's like John Terry, at his best when defending on the goal line.

OPTA has revealed Luis Suarez had the most dribbles during the season with 291. The number is so large in part to him not being able to close his mouth fully

Yes, but my point was that we technically did finish above Everton. Even if you take away the fact that we conceded a 2 goal lead we actually did enough to win, and that was taken away from us due to a purely incompetent decision.

In which case, we would have finished above Everton, and finished 6th.

2011-12 8th
2012-13 7th
2013-14 6th
2014-15 5th
2015-16 4th
2016-17 3rd
2017-18 2nd
2018-19 1st!!!

Though most of them have already come to the conclusion that 4th is theirs next year.

Back