• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

The onfield decision was offside which the ref told them. Although they didn't seem to hear and thought the onfield decision was a goal. That's why they said check complete. (Go with the onfield decision). When they realised their mistake they tried to "delay".

From BBC's transcript:

VAR: Check complete, check complete. That's fine, perfect (showing Diaz is clearly onside). Off.

Referee: Cheers mate

That doesn't sound like something VAR would have said.

From BBC's transcript:

VAR: Check complete, check complete. That's fine, perfect (showing Diaz is clearly onside). Off.

Referee: Cheers mate

That doesn't sound like something VAR would have said.

Ah ok. I was referring to earlier in the conversstion.

I haven't listened to it, but there seems to be some confusion around who actually said 'off'. Whether it was VAR or an assistant or just the ref telling a player his decision.
Honestly, go and listen to it - it's astonishing. Quite how anyone can work out what's going on, I don't know!!

Honestly, go and listen to it - it's astonishing. Quite how anyone can work out what's going on, I don't know!!
You must have in mind that the on field ref doesn't hear most of what VAR says. Most of that chatter is just heard by the VAR room. That's why it sounds a bit chaotic.

You must have in mind that the on field ref doesn't hear most of what VAR says. Most of that chatter is just heard by the VAR room. That's why it sounds a bit chaotic.

It would be better if they just shut up - put five refs in front of five separate monitors instead, have them make their own individual decisions, and let the majority view count. Then simply tell the ref what the decision is. Could probably be automated too.

It would be better if they just shut up - put five refs in front of five separate monitors instead, have them make their own individual decisions, and let the majority view count. Then simply tell the ref what the decision is. Could probably be automated too.
The extra people are to speed things up.

You can hear the VAR asking for the point at which the ball is kicked, different angles, etc. If refs had to do that themselves it would take all day.

The extra people are to speed things up.

You can hear the VAR asking for the point at which the ball is kicked, different angles, etc. If refs had to do that themselves it would take all day.
The communication style and language used is still Akin to mates daaan ta pub, innit.
This is a multi billion £ business, it should have have clear, concise, authoritative communication.
Not lots of voices talking over eachother or slang names or ambiguous language.
The hierarchy is simple:
1. Ref
2. VAR official
3. Technical team

3 shouldn't need to speak.
2 should only speak to required data from 3 and to give clear, concise and accurate information to 1.
1 should be repeat final positions back to 2 to ensure accurate understanding.

It is the responsibility of 1 to ref the game. The buck stops with them. 1 should have clarified the information he received.
2&3 let 1 down.
All were let down by poor policy and infrastructure.

I was expecting VAR room to be more like an air traffic control environment. Instead it's like something from the Beano.

Whichever way you cut it, it is not an environment conducive to good decision making.

It would be much better if they binned VAR all together its brick. Not a lot of time for Southgate but when the England manager says its bad for match going fans then its time we got rid of it.

England boss Gareth Southgate criticises impact of VAR on fans at games - BBC Sport

It would be much better if they binned VAR all together its brick. Not a lot of time for Southgate but when the England manager says its bad for match going fans then its time we got rid of it.

England boss Gareth Southgate criticises impact of VAR on fans at games - BBC Sport

Im 100% for scrapping it down to the bare bones and let them concentrate purely on goaline (which is auto I believe) and offsides. The rest I would 10) %put back on the refs and back them to the hilt. I would then run a campaign to rebuild up the refs and respect from top to bottom to try and stitch back the issues created lower down with the expectations of VAR.

I would then come out fighting once thats sorted and tell the managers to get stuffed rather than all the pandering which just breeds more expectation and hassle

The issue with PGMOL is not the mistakes, its the pandering IMO

Im 100% for scrapping it down to the bare bones and let them concentrate purely on goaline (which is auto I believe) and offsides. The rest I would 10) %put back on the refs and back them to the hilt. I would then run a campaign to rebuild up the refs and respect from top to bottom to try and stitch back the issues created lower down with the expectations of VAR.

I would then come out fighting once thats sorted and tell the managers to get stuffed rather than all the pandering which just breeds more expectation and hassle

The issue with PGMOL is not the mistakes, its the pandering IMO

Goal line tec is fine it is what it says on the tin, as for the rest well mistakes were made on the linesman flag before and they are still being made with so called technology. But its taking forever and for those who actually go to matches its rubbish. Someone has made money out of all this technolgy and its not fit for purpse.

Goal line tec is fine it is what it says on the tin, as for the rest well mistakes were made on the linesman flag before and they are still being made with so called technology. But its taking forever and for those who actually go to matches its rubbish. Someone has made money out of all this technolgy and its not fit for purpse.

The volume of linesman error Vs var error isn't even comparable. Having the var tech has undoubtedly improved the accuracy of games, but the application is overzealous and the administration beyond words.

I think after this season we might see a consensus to strip it back. Maybe to goal line tech, onside - on/off (IE like the linesman flag).
Maybe, and it's a big maybe, add to that - the ref being able to ask var to help (like rugby) and maybe each team having, say two var appeals per game (becomes active an next stop in play. Agreed that if accurate, the subsequent play is treated as having not happened. That in itself has issues, like injuries etc, so may not be practicable).

Going to no VAR would just put us back to a huge officiating controversy every week or two and the association furore. Let's forget how ridiculous that was. The game is well passed being able to be adequately officiated by one ref and two linesmen.

The volume of linesman error Vs var error isn't even comparable. Having the var tech has undoubtedly improved the accuracy of games, but the application is overzealous and the administration beyond words.

I think after this season we might see a consensus to strip it back. Maybe to goal line tech, onside - on/off (IE like the linesman flag).
Maybe, and it's a big maybe, add to that - the ref being able to ask var to help (like rugby) and maybe each team having, say two var appeals per game (becomes active an next stop in play. Agreed that if accurate, the subsequent play is treated as having not happened. That in itself has issues, like injuries etc, so may not be practicable).

Going to no VAR would just put us back to a huge officiating controversy every week or two and the association furore. Let's forget how ridiculous that was. The game is well passed being able to be adequately officiated by one ref and two linesmen.

I hear what you are saying but i disagree, It was no more ridiculous then it is now. imo.

I hear what you are saying but i disagree, It was no more ridiculous then it is now. imo.

Which is a fair point.
So the question is:
Ridiculous with high accuracy
Vs
Ridiculous with greater entertainment but accepting mistakes

Most people seemed to want the former when decisions went against them.

Which is a fair point.
So the question is:
Ridiculous with high accuracy
Vs
Ridiculous with greater entertainment but accepting mistakes

Most people seemed to want the former when decisions went against them.

For the fans who actually go to matches i believe most would vote for the second one. As for fans well we all know "we wuz robbed" would be their cry no matter what happens. :)

For the fans who actually go to matches i believe most would vote for the second one. As for fans well we all know "we wuz robbed" would be their cry no matter what happens. :)
What I find really fascinating, (and maybe this is significant in where my view comes from that VAR tech isn't the issue, policy is) is I went to a Werder Bremen game when Germany were the first major European lge to use VAR. There was a VAR decision to rule out a goal, it was seamless - quick, easy. So much so that I didn't even notice had happened for a while . No delayed bs. Just a quick var telling the ref it was offside. Decided before the players had stopped celebrating. No moaning from the fans (well, maybe a little - I don't speak German!), just accepting it as the equivalent to the flag going up.

The current application of the tech to overanalyze the game doesn't work. It was inevitable that we would have a few seasons of this - the above example works really well, so people called for more. Football authorities are too stupid to know when to stop something until it goes wrong. It's now going wrong, because they're trying to do too much.
Goal line tech is a great example - simple, easy, does it's job. VAR needs to be the same. It's a tool, not an industry. Unfortunately it's a tool being applied by tools.

Bit like scoring in Olympic boxing.

VAR WTF? Clear as day that was a handball on Ayew from the first replay. Incredible incompetence. Liverpool would've demanded a replay and points deduction for Palace, and probably gotten it as well.

Back