• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

The technology is. It's not the technology that's the issue. How are these people officiating top level sport?! It's nuts.

Here's the audio from our game Vs Liverpool
https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...n-to-var-audio-from-disallowed-luis-diaz-goal

It's the protecting of the protocol that's nuts for me. Once they've realized they've absolute fudged it, because of a nothing 10 seconds in play, there's no apparently no possible way they can stop the game and just award the goal?

I appreciate that then where do you draw the line (the metaphorical one representing how long after an incident they can fix what is a shocker of a call, not the VAR one for offside as that's a whole other problem if course!) but it seems to me, attempting to think about it as a fan of football rather than a supporter of a club, nuts how they don't just stop the game and tell the ref. Neither manager and nobody else could argue it looking at the footage.

It's the protecting of the protocol that's nuts for me. Once they've realized they've absolute fudged it, because of a nothing 10 seconds in play, there's no apparently no possible way they can stop the game and just award the goal?

I appreciate that then where do you draw the line (the metaphorical one representing how long after an incident they can fix what is a shocker of a call, not the VAR one for offside as that's a whole other problem if course!) but it seems to me, attempting to think about it as a fan of football rather than a supporter of a club, nuts how they don't just stop the game and tell the ref. Neither manager and nobody else could argue it looking at the footage.
Well you said it yourself. Where do you draw the line? Anything different from what it is, and you open up pandoras box. It would be a total mess. Not something that should or will be considered.

Well you said it yourself. Where do you draw the line? Anything different from what it is, and you open up pandoras box. It would be a total mess. Not something that should or will be considered.

It seems like more of a mess by realizing you've made a massive error of communication and not rectifying it in my mind, it's just how the rules are and as you say it's not going to change but it's a bit of a joke in this instance. Anyone who wants to see a fair and well officiated game wouldn't have minded after a 10 second delay, it's obviously not the case when debating dubious red cards that could be debated for months and people still wouldn't agree. Same with the fudgery over what is a handball and what isn't. But for decisions as clear as that offside the inflexibility is impressively unhelpful.

It is possibly because there's a couple of conversations going on with people but the communication is a mess, it's a wonder more stuff like this hasn't happened or maybe it has and we just haven't heard it.

It seems like more of a mess by realizing you've made a massive error of communication and not rectifying it in my mind, it's just how the rules are and as you say it's not going to change but it's a bit of a joke in this instance. Anyone who wants to see a fair and well officiated game wouldn't have minded after a 10 second delay, it's obviously not the case when debating dubious red cards that could be debated for months and people still wouldn't agree. Same with the fudgery over what is a handball and what isn't. But for decisions as clear as that offside the inflexibility is impressively unhelpful.

It is possibly because there's a couple of conversations going on with people but the communication is a mess, it's a wonder more stuff like this hasn't happened or maybe it has and we just haven't heard it.
The matter is more likely
There have been a few games where lines haven’t been shown for offsides and they looked contentious

I think the play restarted rule is a good one. That's the moment fans can be sure a goal stands. The error is in the Var protocol . The simplest solution would be to state what the var decision was rather than "decision confirmed". If he'd said "the decision is no offside" or "onside confirmed" the referee would have awarded the goal.

I put this in the More than a Cult thread, but will repeat here. Former referee Keith Hackett is saying VAR should ignore the rules to make it better. He says England should have ignored the rules and stopped the game. If this is the quality of thinking by senior referees it's no wonder its a mess.

“Can’t do anything,” says England as Var. I am not going to hide behind the laws of the game here, which state that if play has been restarted (which it had) then it could not be called back to resolve the error.

England clearly is applying the laws of the game here, but that is just the wrong thing to do in this instance. There is the laws of the game and then there is context, the spirit of the game, and doing the right thing. The right thing would be to resolve the situation and correct this most basic of errors.

Blindingly claiming you cannot do anything because the laws said so is another strand to the mess.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...purs-diaz-var-darren-england-hid-behind-laws/

“Can’t do anything,” says England as Var. I am not going to hide behind the laws of the game here, which state that if play has been restarted (which it had) then it could not be called back to resolve the error.

England clearly is applying the laws of the game here, but that is just the wrong thing to do in this instance. There is the laws of the game and then there is context, the spirit of the game, and doing the right thing. The right thing would be to resolve the situation and correct this most basic of errors.

Blindingly claiming you cannot do anything because the laws said so is another strand to the mess.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...purs-diaz-var-darren-england-hid-behind-laws/

I see a lot of people are comparing this situation with cricket and rugby video calls but are failing to take on board in these games play has stopped while review is carried out, I'm not sure what the protocol is with VAR, but once the game has restarted I would assume you can't go back. It just reminds me of when I was working and senior management believe technology is the answer to everything and dismiss the "what if" question with that's very unlikely to happen response. Not enough thought, training or consultation with users.

I see a lot of people are comparing this situation with cricket and rugby video calls but are failing to take on board in these games play has stopped while review is carried out, I'm not sure what the protocol is with VAR, but once the game has restarted I would assume you can't go back. It just reminds me of when I was working and senior management believe technology is the answer to everything and dismiss the "what if" question with that's very unlikely to happen response. Not enough thought, training or consultation with users.
The game had stopped in this scenario as well, the ball was in the net and it wasn’t allowed to be restarted until VAR confirmed the decision.

The game had stopped in this scenario as well, the ball was in the net and it wasn’t allowed to be restarted until VAR confirmed the decision.

I know that's what happened, but is the protocol that the game must stop while a VAR check being made? If the game should have been stopped the referring team have made a mistake and that's just bad luck as it has been for over 150 years of the game.

They stop the game, tell the ref, and the ref decides if the play since then has a significant effect either way. Again,.much like in rugby - the ref is IN CHARGE of the game.

I know that's what happened, but is the protocol that the game must stop while a VAR check being made? If the game should have been stopped the referring team have made a mistake and that's just bad luck as it has been for over 150 years of the game.
For goals given yes, they are all checked for offside and the game is not allowed to start until it’s confirmed. I’m not sure I get your second point, the game was stopped while the VAR decision was being made.

there was an admission within minutes of the incident from PGMOL that an error was made by the VAR team. They thought the onfield decision was a goal and confirmed with check complete. The problem is the onfield decision was offside, so by saying check complete they were confirming the onfield decision of offside.

Just have the var decision linked to the big screens in the stadium. Onside or offside. On the var screen have a "are you sure you want to give on/offside press ok to continue". Or even automate offside decicisions.
None of this 4 people talking over each other on radios.

For goals given yes, they are all checked for offside and the game is not allowed to start until it’s confirmed. I’m not sure I get your second point, the game was stopped while the VAR decision was being made.

there was an admission within minutes of the incident from PGMOL that an error was made by the VAR team. They thought the onfield decision was a goal and confirmed with check complete. The problem is the onfield decision was offside, so by saying check complete they were confirming the onfield decision of offside.

Due to what I think was an error the game restarted before the officals were sure of the situation, a mistake, referring mistakes happen virtually every week, until everyone is clear on what they are doing and what should happen if a mistake is made we all have to live with it.

You can go back to foul play and dangerous play

Releasing the audio is good for accountability and transparency, but sadly it's also good for conspiracy.

Just have the var decision linked to the big screens in the stadium. Onside or offside. On the var screen have a "are you sure you want to give on/offside press ok to continue". Or even automate offside decicisions.
None of this 4 people talking over each other on radios.
I think every time VaR thinks a goal is scored the ref should get the signal on his watch like it does for goal line tech

I think it nips the conspiracy in the bud
It’s clear they thought they had done everything right

It just means they did on purpose to screw over Liverpool.

See quite a few demanding the audio for the red card as well. I'm sure they discussed how fun it would be to send off a Liverpool player for a nothing challenge.

Back