• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Two players from Spurs history that would make us champions

No one mentioning King? After we shipped 4 goals.

Ledley and Romero would be awesome. One of Gazza or Bale as attacking disruptors and goal scorers. If there was room for one more, Modric would be a help too. But Bentancur is or can be 9/10ths of Modric. And a bit bigger as well. So King and Bale in his pomp please.

No one mentioning King? After we shipped 4 goals.

Ledley and Romero would be awesome. One of Gazza or Bale as attacking disruptors and goal scorers. If there was room for one more, Modric would be a help too. But Bentancur is or can be 9/10ths of Modric. And a bit bigger as well. So King and Bale in his pomp please.

I'd say because you only have two choices

Modric would control the midfield, that would take a lot of pressure off the defense, Kane would score the goals from all the chances we create.

King, Bale, Walker, Hoddle, Eriksen all could make a huge impact but you have to pick.

p.s. I agree Bentancur in form/pre-injury is a monster, and I hope we see that version back again soon.

I'd say because you only have two choices

Modric would control the midfield, that would take a lot of pressure off the defense, Kane would score the goals from all the chances we create.

King, Bale, Walker, Hoddle, Eriksen all could make a huge impact but you have to pick.

p.s. I agree Bentancur in form/pre-injury is a monster, and I hope we see that version back again soon.

I don’t think Walker - at least the version we had - is much better than Porro. Porro the more skilful. The pragmatism and pace of Walker is there now, but not worthy of a place in the 2.

King was an exceptional talent. A defender who’s as good as a striker. Like a handful of elite defenders he could save goals single handedly. And he was decent on the ball. He was a modern CB before they became a thing. VDV has pace, intent, but not the footballing perigee of King. At 22 VDV has time.

Kane, it was too recent to nominate him. And it is questionable how much he could disrupt a low block. I would love him for his experience, composure and finishing. Would be a massive asset. But I’ll stick to King to shore up our defence and Bale to pull apart defensive shapes, shoot from distance plus make us feared on the break.

I put my options in earlier but we actually need more than just 2 to win the league. I think 3 players added to this setup and we might get close.

Vicario
Porro...Romero...vdV...Udogie
Sarr...Bentancur
Johnson...Gascoigne...Werner
Kane
or
Vicario
Sarr...Bentancur
Johnson...Maddison...Bale
Kane
or
Vicario
Sarr...Bentancur
Johnson...Gascoigne...Bale
Son
Loved Modric, but not sure he's as much as an upgrade as these three. Loved Hoddle even more, but don't remember him single handedly winning games the way Bale and Gascoigne did.

Vicario
Sarr...Bentancur
Johnson...Gascoigne...Werner
Kane
or
Vicario
Sarr...Bentancur
Johnson...Maddison...Bale
Kane
or
Vicario
Sarr...Bentancur
Johnson...Gascoigne...Bale
Son
Loved Modric, but not sure he's as much as an upgrade as these three. Loved Hoddle even more, but don't remember him single handedly winning games the way Bale and Gascoigne did.

If anything bale on the right son on the left.

Gazza and Bale. Simple. Goals, creativity and work rate.

or

Hoddle and Waddle. Not sure they have the levels of movement for our system though.

or

Ginola and Sheringham.

or

Modric and Berbtatov

It does, but I'd take Werner over Son on the left. Son doesn't get crosses in, isn't creative against a low block, and doesn't protect the full back. His first touch is pretty bad, but his shooting accuracy is amazing.

He seemed to do alright when kane was feeding him though.

So kane couldn't play in this system? Hold the ball up and lay it off to son? Or get a header or tap in from a cross into the box?

Of course he could, but it was a two man quick break offense.

We’d sit deep to create space in behind, room for Son to run on to accurate delivery from Kane.

Were more often than not attacking sat in defences now, not those on the turn.

Of course he could, but it was a two man quick break offense.

We’d sit deep to create space in behind, room for Son to run on to accurate delivery from Kane.

Were more often than not attacking sat in defences now, not those on the turn.

Then bale son and kane drop deeper. We get the ball play it forward quickly when we get it. Not long ball but transition quickly. We were transitioning fast at the beginning of the season.

It's a hypothetical, so it really doesn't matter. If you disagree that's fine.

Current squad with Ange(ball)? Modric and Eriksen. We would've sorted the assists to the assists once and for all.

Richa
Son Eriksen Som1
Modric Maddison
Som1 Som1 VdV Som1
Vicario

To think that we once could have fielded this team (in the same time frame, in or around their prime), just wow:

Kane
Son Eriksen Bale
Modric Dier
Rose Vert Toby Walker
Lloris

Last edited:
I think Bale is a definite as he played in a position we can currently upgrade on.

Modric, Carrick or Dembele for the 6 would significantly improve us.

Kane for obvious reasons.

Gazza for either the 8 or 10 role, but we’re currently “ok” there really, other areas are far more in need of upgrading.

I’ll go for Bale + Modric based on the positions in most need of upgrading. Though I think if you dropped Gazza in there he could be winning games on his own.
They would be my two as well. Comes hard leaving out the likes of Gazza / Mackay / Blanchflower / Hoddle / Cliff Jones / Jennings et al.

Back