• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Travellers

loads of them in harlow, the way they look after their horses disgusts me, poor things are tied up by the side of the road and never get groomed, left out in all weather

they should all be done for animal cruelty

My experiences of them in my town are far from savoury - from when I was a kid to as recently as a couple of months ago. Scum of the earth.

Very true. Romany travellers (from my understanding) dislike being tarnished by the same brush as these Irish type (again not all Irish but a fair chunck of these modern day ones).

I have Romanies as aquaintances, I've had them in my house to do work, I wouldn't think twice about it. I wouldn't give an Irish traveller the time of day. Elvis, my gipsy mate occasionly goes out on the road, he moves on if Irish travellers pull up near him.

I have Romanies as aquaintances, I've had them in my house to do work, I wouldn't think twice about it. I wouldn't give an Irish traveller the time of day. Elvis, my gipsy mate occasionly goes out on the road, he moves on if Irish travellers pull up near him.

I used to occasionally use a Romany chap for some labouring. He was a sound bloke although he couldn't speak a word of English (maybe he was calling me a **** the whole time). Hardest worker I ever came across.

So what's the story with "Irish Travellers" are they Gypsies or not? I get very sad when reading about people's negative experiences with this racial group and I understand their frustation. However I get sadder to hear some of the extreme comments directed at them. Maybe people fail to realise that the Nazis exterminated tens of thousands of Gypsies in the death camps, men, women and little children.

So what's the story with "Irish Travellers" are they Gypsies or not? I get very sad when reading about people's negative experiences with this racial group and I understand their frustation. However I get sadder to hear some of the extreme comments directed at them. Maybe people fail to realise that the Nazis exterminated tens of thousands of Gypsies in the death camps, men, women and little children.

Blah blah blah blah

loads of them in harlow, the way they look after their horses disgusts me, poor things are tied up by the side of the road and never get groomed, left out in all weather

they should all be done for animal cruelty

when they move on from site to site they have been known to leave Horses behind tied up, the RSPCA (or whoever it is that deals with Horses) get called out but aren't legally allowed to remove them - they just come out, feed them and make sure they aren't in any discomfort - then one day the horse will be gone - basically the pikeys just let the government take care of them and when they need them they come pick them up

give em their dues though - they know every single angle and loophole in the book and know how to work it, the amount of money they cost the tax must be astronomical

when they move on from site to site they have been known to leave Horses behind tied up, the RSPCA (or whoever it is that deals with Horses) get called out but aren't legally allowed to remove them - they just come out, feed them and make sure they aren't in any discomfort - then one day the horse will be gone - basically the pikeys just let the government take care of them and when they need them they come pick them up

give em their dues though - they know every single angle and loophole in the book and know how to work it, the amount of money they cost the tax must be astronomical

The family responsible for this had four million quid in an offshore bank account.

They let the RSPCA feed them up and then sell them for dog meat, by the way the RSPCA is a charity not state funded.

Seems that whether they are gypsies or not is semantic. They are not Romani, but have a similar "gypsy" lifestyle. They have nothing to do with the ethnic group persecuted by the Nazis and still discriminated against in Eastern European countries like Romania.

Wikipedia said:
Irish Travellers (Irish: an lucht siúil) or Pavee are a traditionally nomadic people of ethnic Irish origin, who maintain a set of traditions[1][2] and a distinct ethnic identity. Although predominantly English speaking, some also use Shelta and other similar cants. They live mostly in the Republic of Ireland as well as having large numbers in the United Kingdom and in the United States.[2][3]

Etymology

Travellers refer to themselves as Minceir or Pavees, or in Irish as an Lucht Siúil, meaning literally "the walking people".

Travellers are often referred to by the terms tinkers, knackers or itinerants in Ireland, while in other countries the term gypsies [4][dead link] or didicoy is used to describe the community.[5] Some of these terms refer to services that were traditionally provided by them, tinkering (or tinsmithing), for example, being the mending of tinware such as pots and pans, and knackering, being the acquisition of dead or old horses for slaughter. Tinker and especially knacker is used as a pejorative against Travellers in Ireland.

The term gypsy first appeared in record in the 16th century from a category of people thought to be Egyptians [6] who arrived in Britain. Other names, specifically derogatory, such as pikey[7] and gypo or gippo[8] (derived from Gypsy) are also heard.

Didicoy is a Romani term for a child of mixed Romani and non-Romani parentage; as applied to the Travellers, it refers to the fact that they are not Romani Gypsy by ethnicity but Irish by blood and lead a similar yet distinct lifestyle.[9]

Origins

The historical origins of Irish Travellers as an ethnic group has been a subject of academic and popular debate. Such discussions have been difficult as Irish Travellers left no written records of their own.[18] [19] In 2011 an analysis of DNA from 40 Travellers was undertaken at the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin and the University of Edinburgh. The study provided evidence that Irish Travellers are a distinct Irish ethnic minority, who separated from the settled Irish community at least 1000 years ago; the claim was made that they are distinct from the settled community as Icelanders are from Norwegians.[20] Even though all families claim ancient origins, not all families of Irish Travellers date back to the same point in time; some families adopted Traveller customs centuries ago, while others did so more recently.[21] It is unclear how many Irish Travellers would be included in this distinct ethnic group at least from a genetic perspective.

A wide range of theories also speculated they were descended from ancestors who were made homeless by Oliver Cromwell's military campaign in Ireland, in the 1840s famine; or the descendants of aristocratic nomadism the Clan Murtagh O'Connors in the Late Middle Ages. Their nomadism was based on cattle-herds or 'creaghts'.

There is evidence by the 12th century the name Tynkler and Tynker emerged in reference to a group of nomads who maintained a separate identity, social organization, and dialect.[18] The genetic evidence indicates Irish Travellers have been a distinct ethnic group in the Ireland for at least a millennium.

That is about as ignorant a comment as I have ever read on here and I have read quite a number. What's the matter can't you deal with an historical truth? BTW, nobody answered my question?

Thought I cleared it up in the next thread down from the original question, no?

Some of them are alright, went to school with one till a couple of years back. He was funny as anything and didn't have a bad bone in his body. His family are the hardest bastards in our town though. There's all sorts just like with anybody else.

That is about as ignorant a comment as I have ever read on here and I have read quite a number. What's the matter can't you deal with an historical truth? BTW, nobody answered my question?

Gotta laugh really though. Really ironic how someone can make out they don't like gypsies because they think they're all tacos and then go and show themselves to 10x as much of a taco as any gypsy you'll ever come across...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law Describes you to a tee.

Put a good argument across and then you might get a sensible answer.

The Nazi's targeted Romany gyspies, a completley different ethnic group.

Last edited:
Gotta laugh really though. Really ironic how someone can make out they don't like gypsies because they think they're all tacos and then go and show themselves to 10x as much of a taco as any gypsy you'll ever come across...

Sorry are you referring to me? If so I suggest some reading lessons.

Back