• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Window Thread

It's really hard for us to improve now. For example: we need a CM. Who could come in and hit the ground running, not need a year or so of gettting Poch-fit in mind and body and playing sytle, who's better than Sissoko, Wanyama and even Demble? Maybe we could go for a more robust Winks type - a passer. But then what happens to Winks?

Some would say we have a weakness at RB. I would have agreed previously. But now I think we have to stick with Trippier, Aurier and KWP. Until we sell some of them, they are settled, know the game, and should kick on. So unless someone offers £40m for Trippier I think we'll stick.

Striker - how does a young forward displace Son and Kane? Not to mention Lucas Moura. Yes we need one more player - an out and out striker with potential. But they are not going to get a lot of games if everyone is fit.

Maybe the biggest area to cover are players who may depart - CBs and Eriksen. Eriksen I think there is a game going on now. He's happy here. Ideally he'd see out his contract, spend a couple more years here, and then try his hand in Spain. We're saying to him, look we can't keep you here, unless you extend the contract. We can put in clauses to allow you leave in a couple of years, but only on our terms. The question is, would we sell if Eriksen called the mangments bluff and won't sign a new deal?

So it isn't clear how we upgrade the team. Two things need to happen, we need clarity regarding Eriksen, Jan and Toby. Are they off? If so we can plan for the future. And secondly we need to clear some space for new signings. No point signing a CM, while we retain Dembele.

I'd be happy with a contract extension for Eriksen and no signings until the summer.

I agree there is some big succession planning to do in 3 positions this summer (CB, CM and AM for Eriksen). The club may be happy to promote Sanchez to take Toby's place and buy either someone else to develop or someone more experienced he and Foyth can learn from that is happy not playing every week. Those signings need to be players who are here for a good 5 years and capable of being in the starting 11 for a title chasing team as well, won't be easy to find them.

@parklane1 @billyiddo the narrative has evolved slightly. Previously (and I looked it up at HT during the game) it was 'Traore has got no footballing ability' he just fast, may as well sign Usain Bolt. Now people acknowledge talent, but to save face, use the cliche 'there's no end product'.

Which is absolutely true. He has not delivered much. But he has developed. He was and is unplayable at times - against us he was delivering good crosses - and he beats full backs with consumate ease. I never thought he was a perfect player, far from it, I thought he was a good value player who Poch would develop. Just the sort of player Pochettino could transform and he'd be a far better option than GKN. The raw ability has always been there. If someone can help him develop - and at 23 there is time - he can be a potent player. He also fit something Poch was asking for at the time - a player to "punch through" a defence. We missed out on Mane, tried for Zaha, and while Traore is more GKN than anywhere close to Mane and Zaha, he has the physical and technical potential, if that can be combined with hard work, guidance and application he might become someone. Against us the other day he was sintilating, no one could get the ball off him. That takes skill, as well as pace and power.

Last edited:
I'm only going by what I've read on another board from Wolves fans who were discussing him going back to Boro on loan recently

Adama Traore could have been an elite level sprinter.
Moussa Sissoko could have been an elite level 800m runner.

Neither are natural footballers, looks like they took up the sport at 8 instead of 4.

I think both have made a lot more money than if they had gone into athletics.

I think Traore needs a few things: to slow down a bit. Watch Hazzard, he doesn't dribble at his full pace most of the time, but has 'afterburners' when he needs to get away from a defender. By slowing down, as well as control things better (the next pass or shot) you can also suck in defenders, then accelerate away from them - when you're that quick.

He needs to lose some mass. He's built for 100 meters, when he needs to run for 90 minutes. A coach needs to get him leaner.

He needs to get comfortable infront of goal. He can work space around the box and cross or shoot, but desperatly needs to refine this side of his game and build confidence in it.

One thing he doesn't need to develop is dribbling at speed. It's an incredibly hard skill at pace, and Im hard pressed to think of other current players who are as good as he is carrying the ball, apart from maybe Hazard (Sonny and Moura of this season when on it are also top quality dribbling with the ball). Of course it counts for nothing if you can't use the ball at the end of it, but that is where a good coach comes in.

Last edited:
Sissoko has carved out a success now from his strength and speed of running. The end product certainly stilll lacks finesse, but he’s ok at that when he keeps it very very simple.

Adama would bring even more speed and strength, with a greater lack of any finesse.

Usual Bolt is also on a free, so we could really stretch this out and create the strongest and fastest team the world has ever seen.

Off loading slower skilful players like, say eriksen to Barcelona, could fund the final transformation into an athletics team.

We don't need Traore now, with Moura, Son, Sissoko. But he was a low/no risk bargin signing at one point.

Who would you sign for our CM that would improve us? Or what other PL midfielder would we want? Not realistic signings, but to get a sense of the style of midfielder you think we should be looking at...

Last edited:
I think Ndombele is our of our range I’m afraid. Berge is more realistic, though him staying at Genk til the summer isn’t helpful if we’re trying to offload Dembele

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Both of these guys remind me of Patrick Vierra in his pomp. Exactly the type of strong presence we need in that central area. Final piece in the jigsaw imo. Imagine if we had a Roy Keane, Patrick Vierra, Graham Souness-type in our team. We would be unstoppable. We really should push the boat out for one of these guys. Fund it by getting rid of the deadwood.

Both of these guys remind me of Patrick Vierra in his pomp. Exactly the type of strong presence we need in that central area. Final piece in the jigsaw imo. Imagine if we had a Roy Keane, Patrick Vierra, Graham Souness-type in our team. We would be unstoppable. We really should push the boat out for one of these guys. Fund it by getting rid of the deadwood.

One hundred percent correct

Ndombele or Docouray. Either/or.

Just do it, Levy

Watford to block PSG's attempts to sign Abdoulaye Doucoure during January transfer window

Watford will not sell Abdoulaye Doucoure to Paris Saint-Germain in January.

PSG are interested in signing the £50million-rated midfielder but Watford have ruled out him leaving Vicarage Road during this transfer window.

Doucoure is high on PSG’s shortlist of targets to replace Adrien Rabiot, who is set to leave the French club at the end of the season when his contract expires.

PSG manager Thomas Tuchel is keen to sign a midfielder this month but Watford want to avoid any disruption to their season and are adamant they will not sell Doucoure now.

Watford would stand to make a significant profit on Doucoure if they did decide to sell him in the summer. They paid Rennes around £8m for him in 2015.

The 26-year-old signed a new contract last summer which runs until 2023, so Watford are in a strong position to turn down any approach from PSG this month.

Doucoure underlined his importance to Watford by coming off the bench to rescue a 1-1 draw with Saudi Sportswashing Machine last week.

Before that game he had played every minute of Watford’s Premier League campaign and he is set to return to the team when they play Bournemouth on Wednesday night.

Watford took four points from their three games over the festive period and they could climb up to seventh with a win tonight.

They lost 4-0 at home to Bournemouth in October but head coach Javi Gracia insists they will not travel to the Vitality Stadium with a score to settle.

“My players do not need motivation to do our best,” he said.

Back