• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Thread

So you agree that CBs are not necessarily the priority right now. Fullbacks are supposed to be goal scorers in Postecoglous setup.

Postecoglu has said himself that a CB is the priority in January, so not sure why you'd espouse different?

Postecoglu has said himself that a CB is the priority in January, so not sure why you'd espouse different?

Read my original post. As last year, things have developed. Yes the scouting has been done and transfers take time. I would be happy with another CB, but there are other positions that probably need bolstering first now that Davies and Royal have stepped up.

So you agree that CBs are not necessarily the priority right now. Fullbacks are supposed to be goal scorers in Postecoglous setup.
Full backs are defenders who create and do score
For me there is glaring weakness there followed by CB
The defence needs the right quality of reinforcements
I always like Mahle the Danish wing back who plays both sides but he went to Germany this summer.

Who might be the subject of this rumoured Romano announcement tomorrow? The French defender maybe Todibo?

not sure but he's rarely cagey like this so going to be interesting to see what's happening. Odd that he isn't 100% sure now and announcing it.

A year ago everyone was bemoning the right back position and how we HAD to upgrade Royal. By the time the window came around, the truth was CB was a more pressing issue than RB. Porro's Spurs career probably saved by Postecoglou who he is made for. There was one continuity from Conte to Ange, fullbacks who attack.

This year, since the summer window closed, the narrative has been about CBs. When in truth we are probably more in need of goal scorers. With Royal, Davies, Dier and Phillips we have deccent options at CB.

Of course it would be nice to add a CB, but it isn't top of the priority list for me. Though it is likely easier to sign a CB now, than a goal scorer.
Davies has stepped up for sure.

I think Royal and Davies are more adequate cover for right back and left back than Emerson or anyone are at RCB.

Neither Emerson or Davies are really good stylistic fits for full back in this system, but both can do a decent job. And have done a decent job when called upon.

I think Royal and Davies are more adequate cover for right back and left back than Emerson or anyone are at RCB.

Neither Emerson or Davies are really good stylistic fits for full back in this system, but both can do a decent job. And have done a decent job when called upon.
I would also add that Emerson and Davies looked dodgy together as CHs, but Davies got to grow into the position with Romero next to him.

Idk. To me, both Royal and Davies are happy defending. They do their best work defending. Their awareness, tackling etc is actually extremely good. Neither shows much panache attacking. So I would say they are suited to the CB role. Being (former) fullbacks they are okay on the ball too, which is needed to pass out and even get forward from CB at times. Stylistically they are better CBs than fullbacks imo.

So Befords point that bolstering fullback cover might be more important than CB, is interesting. Decent fullback backup might come from within the club however. Sessengon, Spence etc.

Personally, I would be extremely happy if we signed a goal scoring attacker, and maybe a CB too. Davies doesn't have the pace or height to play there longer term. Is that an issue when he's only covering? Not for me. Him and Royal have been more than a safe pair of hands.

Last edited:
Idk. To me, both Royal and Davies are happy defending. They do their best work defending. Their awareness, tackling etc is actually extremely good. Neither shows much panache attacking. So I would say they are suited to the CB role. Being (former) fullbacks they are okay on the ball too, which is needed to pass out and even get forward from CB at times. Stylistically they are better CBs than fullbacks imo.

So Befords point that bolstering fullback might be more important than CB, is interesting. Decent fullback backup might come from within the club. Sessengon, Spence etc.

Personally, I would be extremely happy if we signed a goal scoring attacker, and maybe a CB too. Davies doesn't have the pace to play there longer term. Is that an issue when he's only covering?
You raise some good points as to what does the club actually want. Ange has spoken about a CB so we have to accept that is his priority and a sensible one I think. While Royal did ok at RCB I don't think his performance level was really that required of a CB and I say that as a fan and supporter of Emerson. If Romero were again to be waylaid by suspension or even worse a longer term injury we really don't have a CB we are prepared to play there. No point mentioning Dier, he's a. Not good enough and b. Ange wisely decided against using him when it was possible

For me in an ideal and unrealistic world I would love to get a direct attacking winger who can play either side in the mould of Nico Williams or Raphina. A RCB like Todibo who I actually do like from his early career (I haven't seen much of him at Nice admittedly) and another ball passing CM who is biased towards attack that can fill in or offer an alternative to Maddison. After those 3 I would like a striker which I can't see happening until the summer and a LB backup for Udogie as I don't rate the backup options we have there now. Spence and Emerson are fine imo for at least the start of next season unless Spence doesn't make it and we decide to move him on.

It's an interesting thought experiment because we all see things slightly differently and therefore prioritise didn't things.

You raise some good points as to what does the club actually want. Ange has spoken about a CB so we have to accept that is his priority and a sensible one I think. While Royal did ok at RCB I don't think his performance level was really that required of a CB and I say that as a fan and supporter of Emerson. If Romero were again to be waylaid by suspension or even worse a longer term injury we really don't have a CB we are prepared to play there. No point mentioning Dier, he's a. Not good enough and b. Ange wisely decided against using him when it was possible

For me in an ideal and unrealistic world I would love to get a direct attacking winger who can play either side in the mould of Nico Williams or Raphina. A RCB like Todibo who I actually do like from his early career (I haven't seen much of him at Nice admittedly) and another ball passing CM who is biased towards attack that can fill in or offer an alternative to Maddison. After those 3 I would like a striker which I can't see happening until the summer and a LB backup for Udogie as I don't rate the backup options we have there now. Spence and Emerson are fine imo for at least the start of next season unless Spence doesn't make it and we decide to move him on.

It's an interesting thought experiment because we all see things slightly differently and therefore prioritise didn't things.

A striker is the hardest to sign - at least one who will score regularly. And if a talented player is available, we should jump right in. For me its a priority. We have Johnson, Soloman, Gil, Kulu, Son, even Richarlison all decent from a wide position. But only really Richarlison who's used to playing as a central striker. I know Son can, but he's not great in the air, and is probably more comfortable coming in off the wing.

For me Royal is a pretty good CB. Maybe lacks some size and pace for the elite level, but as cover, he's excellent. Can also be subbed on at fullback to see out a lead etc.

We play such a high line that an Ange CBs should have pace. It is like an insurance policy for our high line. Davies isn't the quickest, so can see why CB is seen as a priority. And the club has probably been working on targets since the summer. Transfers are rarely pulled out of a hat last minute. But the club should try to be agile and take a step back and see what the reality is now. Players improve or prove themselves and priorities should alter with that.

Fab is reporting we are in talks with Todibo from Nice? No idea how to put the tweet in here.

Keep up Romano! Already been reported by like three actual, reputable, real journo's already.

I don't mean to suggest you're gutterboy but Todibo had only played 20 odd games in 3 years for 3 different teams before Nice. What were you liking that obviously none of those teams were?

I dont think United have much room to do big deals this window. Their director or someone was mentioning being careful with FFP etc. I reckon they'll have their hands full trying to sell half their useless squad players!

Back