• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

A forum with a 17 page thread about someone we have no hope of signing (Martial,) I'm not surprised Origi isn't given a second thought.

Remember seeing Origi in the last World Cup and looked like he had some potential, and was actually disappointed that Liverpoo were signing him. He hasn't done much since though. If the price was sufficiently low to take the risk out of the signing, then I wouldn't object to it. Buying a finished product CF is expensive business

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

So at the moment we are looking at ...

Walker, Wimmer, CCV, Onomah - out

Aurier, Sanchez, Foyth, Barkley - in

Still think we are missing some pace and flair going forward.

Balde is the expensive option that would allow us some pace, but I'm struggling to see how he fits on a bench or in the team, and I don't think we'd spend 25-30 million just to have him in the 25-man squad. *Unless* we sell Janssen and repurpose Son/Balde to be our backup CF, although that would make me sad. :(

Sancho is the other option - I have literally no idea how he plays or how good he is, but he's apparently a wide forward, which means he must have at least *some* pace. And would probably come for about a sixth of the price we'd have to pay for Balde, and would probably be more happy starting out in the 25-man squad than Balde would given his youth and inexperience.

Balde is the expensive option that would allow us some pace, but I'm struggling to see how he fits on a bench or in the team, and I don't think we'd spend 25-30 million just to have him in the 25-man squad.

If we want to progress and become a consistently top 3 team then we need depth and that involves having very good players on the bench and in the squad. I'm pleased that we seem to be willing to add decent players on the back of CL qualification so that we capitalise on it, rather than sit still and not progress

If we want to progress and become a consistently top 3 team then we need depth and that involves having very good players on the bench and in the squad. I'm pleased that we seem to be willing to add decent players on the back of CL qualification so that we capitalise on it, rather than sit still and not progress

I wouldn't mind it one bit, but I don't know how we could sell it to Balde. If he waits a year, he has Juve ready to pounce for him - might as well make that gamble and move to Juve to warm their bench, instead of moving to Spurs and sitting around in the 25-man squad.

Balde is the expensive option that would allow us some pace, but I'm struggling to see how he fits on a bench or in the team, and I don't think we'd spend 25-30 million just to have him in the 25-man squad. *Unless* we sell Janssen and repurpose Son/Balde to be our backup CF, although that would make me sad. :(

Sancho is the other option - I have literally no idea how he plays or how good he is, but he's apparently a wide forward, which means he must have at least *some* pace. And would probably come for about a sixth of the price we'd have to pay for Balde, and would probably be more happy starting out in the 25-man squad than Balde would given his youth and inexperience.

Could Balde and Sancho not just replace Sissoko and GKN respectively? Sissoko got a worryingly large amount of minutes last season.

Could Balde and Sancho not just replace Sissoko and GKN respectively? Sissoko got a worryingly large amount of minutes last season.

Well, in my opinion - depends on how we set up, really.

Sanchez came here to be a starter - no doubt about that. He turned down Barca last year in favour of Ajax, because Barca wouldn't guarantee him a first-team spot. I suspect he's received strong assurances of steady first-team football from our coaching staff, given those circumstances - otherwise, no reason to move when you can just wait and go straight to the big boys in a couple of years' time (and given the rate he was developing at, that seems likely to happen anyway).

So, a three-man defense will be used pretty regularly. And, accordingly, as it stands (assuming no further incomings or outgoings) our team will look something like this, form and injuries permitting -

-----------------------------------Lloris--------------------------------

------------------Sanchez-------Toby-------Verts-------------------

Trippier-------Wanyama/Dier-------Dembele---------------Rose

-------------------------Eriksen--------Alli---------------------------

------------------------------------H-----------------------------------

....which then leaves our subs. Vorm/Gazzaniga will take up one spot, and then it'll be either Dier (if Wanyama is picked over him) or Wimmer for the CB spot. Davies/KWP will take up the wing-back spot, and then Son and Janssen (if he stays) will be pretty consistent fixtures on the bench as well. That leaves two spots on the bench - one of which Winks will stake a claim for (alongside Wanyama, if Dier is picked over him for the DM position), and the other of which is usually occupied by one of Sissoko or N'Koudou (usually the former).

Now, you could theoretically get Balde *or* Sancho to fill that bench spot occupied by Sissoko or GKN. But not both, because there isn't space to get them both onto the bench while still including the goalie, the CB, the LB/RB, Winks/Wanyama, Son and Janssen.
And all those other players are needed to offer flexibility and options from the bench - goalie aside, the CB is needed in case of injury/to shore up the defense if we'e leading, the wing-back is needed for the same reasons, Winks is needed because he offers up something different in terms of distribution from midfield (and Poch likes him), Son is needed to offer pace and guile from the bench, and Janssen is needed as an option to throw on if we're chasing a goal/a backup in case we need to sub Kane out.

So, there's only really one spot on the bench available for Balde or Sancho in a full-strength scenario - even if you sell both Sissoko and N'Koudou. And then you have to consider two further problems - one, Lamela will be returning to fitness at some point close to New Year's Day, so he'll want to try and grab that bench spot too, and two, we might sign Barkley, in which case he'd be competing for that lone bench spot as well. So there's no guarantee that even *one* of Balde and Sancho will get a bench spot on a regular basis, let alone both of them.

Thus, I think the only way we can guarantee Balde/Sancho the bench and playing time is if we decide that one of them will be Kane's backup, and thus a replacement for Janssen on the bench. IMO.

I'm not sure Sancho would be on the bench much next season if Balde comes as well. He's only 17 after all.

With no Balde he'd be a useful wildcard, but with Balde he can properly take the GKN role (who was only sparingly on the bench last season). Then maybe Janssen moves on the following summer if Balde settles.

Sanchez came here to be a starter - no doubt about that. He turned down Barca last year in favour of Ajax, because Barca wouldn't guarantee him a first-team spot. I suspect he's received strong assurances of steady first-team football from our coaching staff, given those circumstances - otherwise, no reason to move when you can just wait and go straight to the big boys in a couple of years' time (and given the rate he was developing at, that seems likely to happen anyway).

So, a three-man defense will be used pretty regularly. And, accordingly, as it stands (assuming no further incomings or outgoings) our team will look something like this, form and injuries permitting -

....which then leaves our subs. Vorm/Gazzaniga will take up one spot, and then it'll be either Dier (if Wanyama is picked over him) or Wimmer for the CB spot. Davies/KWP will take up the wing-back spot, and then Son and Janssen (if he stays) will be pretty consistent fixtures on the bench as well. That leaves two spots on the bench - one of which Winks will stake a claim for (alongside Wanyama, if Dier is picked over him for the DM position), and the other of which is usually occupied by one of Sissoko or N'Koudou (usually the former).

Now, you could theoretically get Balde *or* Sancho to fill that bench spot occupied by Sissoko or GKN. But not both, because there isn't space to get them both onto the bench while still including the goalie, the CB, the LB/RB, Winks/Wanyama, Son and Janssen.
And all those other players are needed to offer flexibility and options from the bench - goalie aside, the CB is needed in case of injury/to shore up the defense if we'e leading, the wing-back is needed for the same reasons, Winks is needed because he offers up something different in terms of distribution from midfield (and Poch likes him), Son is needed to offer pace and guile from the bench, and Janssen is needed as an option to throw on if we're chasing a goal/a backup in case we need to sub Kane out.

So, there's only really one spot on the bench available for Balde or Sancho in a full-strength scenario - even if you sell both Sissoko and N'Koudou. And then you have to consider two further problems - one, Lamela will be returning to fitness at some point close to New Year's Day, so he'll want to try and grab that bench spot too, and two, we might sign Barkley, in which case he'd be competing for that lone bench spot as well. So there's no guarantee that even *one* of Balde and Sancho will get a bench spot on a regular basis, let alone both of them.

Thus, I think the only way we can guarantee Balde/Sancho the bench and playing time is if we decide that one of them will be Kane's backup, and thus a replacement for Janssen on the bench. IMO.

is Winks better Balde/Sanchez? Barkley.s not either!

lets get the best players we can for a change. Don,t forget there are injuries to take into consideration that will happen...leaving room for a stronger squad of players.
Anyway I.m dreaming because I very much doubt that we.ll get Balde or Sancho....

CoySpurs......................

is Winks better Balde/Sanchez? Barkley.s not either!

lets get the best players we can for a change. Don,t forget there are injuries to take into consideration that will happen...leaving room for a stronger squad of players.
Anyway I.m dreaming because I very much doubt that we.ll get Balde or Sancho....

CoySpurs......................

I don't think Winks or Barkley are any better or worse than Balde/Sanchez - they're just different, and are (or will be) valuable to the team in different ways. It's like comparing Modric and Bale - both are brilliant players, among the very best at what they do (and in Modric's case, he *is* the best), but comparing them directly doesn't make sense because they play different positions, have different physical and mental attributes, etcetera.

I absolutely don't mind if we get Balde and Sancho - I would love to have such a strong squad. But I'm unsure how we could sell the prospect of limited playing time to Balde, is all.

I don't think Winks or Barkley are any better or worse than Balde/Sanchez - they're just different, and are (or will be) valuable to the team in different ways. It's like comparing Modric and Bale - both are brilliant players, among the very best at what they do (and in Modric's case, he *is* the best), but comparing them directly doesn't make sense because they play different positions, have different physical and mental attributes, etcetera.

I absolutely don't mind if we get Balde and Sancho - I would love to have such a strong squad. But I'm unsure how we could sell the prospect of limited playing time to Balde, is all.

yes Modric and Bale..great players//agreed its not fair to compare these players..Same with Blanchflower and Mackay! I,m going back in time a bit now! lol ..both great players but different..Winks and Barkley not so sure ..on the other hand Sancho and Baldi definitely look pretty special to me.

Maybe Balde might just tip the balance back to 4-2-3-1?

I think it might as we'd then have 5 for those positions behind a CF and who you could interchange with limited drop in performance: Son, Lamela, Eriksen, Dele and Balde. Getting him and Barkley, in addition to Sanchez, will give us the depth we need to compete properly on all fronts

Good post, but with the possibility of going deep in the cups and CO we have plenty of chances and options to rotate players in and out when needed.
This could really be a pivotal window for our progression.

Back