• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Nope actually they sold them the average ones at a inflated price and young on to the core of their team. Klassen was someone we and Arsenal would have looked at a few years ago and decided to pass on him. I thought fischer would do better last year at Boro but even he was a failure and he is better then Klassen.

Thats why they now have to buy sigurdsson to make up for that blunder. The same player that couldnt get into our first XI (still would like him on our bench though)

Depends on the clause and terms. I very much doubt the player can be forced to return to City no matter what.

We shouldn't get involved in any player where the club wants a buy back clause - you're essentially being paid to develop their players if they're a success and if they aren't then you've bought a player not good enough for the top level

We shouldn't get involved in any player where the club wants a buy back clause - you're essentially being paid to develop their players if they're a success and if they aren't then you've bought a player not good enough for the top level

I didn't say we should get involved, I said he would have been a good signing for Everton after losing Lukaku's goals

However now thinking about you say, let's say we sign him for this upcoming season, with the buy back clause, and he is part a the squad that contributes to us winning the PL title with his 10-15 goals. Who would really care if City then signed him back??:)

I didn't say we should get involved, I said he would have been a good signing for Everton after losing Lukaku's goals

However now thinking about you say, let's say we sign him for this upcoming season, with the buy back clause, and he is part a the squad that contributes to us winning the PL title with his 10-15 goals. Who would really care if City then signed him back??:)

He would have been a great signing for Everton and is IMO a better player than Lukaku

Let's see how he does in a weaker side

You said it depends on the clause tbf I'm saying any buy back clause is something we should be avoiding as a club - in your scenario everyone would be moaning that we're a selling club and that we're losing an important player, would rather get them on loan (compared to a buy back) that way there's no risk on us of the player doesn't work out

Depends on the clause and terms. I very much doubt the player can be forced to return to City no matter what.
I think buyback is different than first refusal as it will be in the contract he signed upon moving - not a 100% sure but it it certainly seems enforceable.
http://www.danielgeey.com/football-transfers-buy-back-clauses-explained/
"Should a buy-back provision be triggered, there is usually a contractual obligation to enforce the contract and transfer the player accordingly."

That kind of hypothetical can be made just as easily with any current player or any potential signing without a buy back clause.

But more of a CM role for France in Euro 2016, where he had his best performances.
I take it in your opinion Pochettino just got this one horribly wrong? Spend £30m on a 27 year old he's seen for years in the league he's been managing in. Yet he has no real clue what his best position is? And over a year of working with him he doesn't show any signs of figuring out what his best position is?

You point to one or two games at the Euros, playing in a role that's not to that similar to our cm roles. But you ignore years of him playing actual PL football for Saudi Sportswashing Machine? Just to mention it, when we signed him Greg said explicitly that he's not a CM.

The original JJetset‏@jetsetyid 1m1 minute ago
1f601.png
1f609.png
1f910.png

You know you all wanted an update and HERE IT IS!

Many of our new big money signings did not work out particularly those signed on or near deadline day. Some had poor first seasons and then came good. Lamela and Eriksen spring to mind. Some, like Soldado, don't work out.

Of our three signings last year, Wanyama, who was signed early and had a full pre-season, was an immediate success. VJ and Sissoko, who were both signed late, were less than successful to say the least.Will they come good in their second season? Possibly, but surely worth a bit of patience?

Just as a matter of interest, when did we last sign a player late in the window, who made an immediate impact in that season?

VDV is the only one I can think of.
Eriksen, Lloris, Dembele.

Getting a full preseason is surely helpful. But I think that's only part of it. When we make a move early in the transfer market I think it's because one of our top targets are available for us at that time. Our top targets are probably more likely to succeed than our next targets.

I don't think it's particularly likely that players like Janssen or Sissoko would have been significantly better had we signed them earlier in the window. If 1-2 months under Poch in preseason has that kind of effect I think 5-6 months under Poch in the actual season should have a similar effect and these players should have shown a solid improvement after 5-6 months at the club. An improvement that I don't think has been present.

Finally the most important thing remains signing players that are right for us long term. Early or late in the window a player that works out for us is a lot better than a player that doesn't. Signing players early is good, but it should never mean moving down our list of potential targets. Try for a first choice, if that doesn't work move on to other targets. Even if going straight for the other targets might have meant getting someone in earlier.

Neymar off to PSG for 222m euros, reportedly. That's more than the GDP of six UN recognised countries.

Eriksen, Lloris, Dembele.

Getting a full preseason is surely helpful. But I think that's only part of it. When we make a move early in the transfer market I think it's because one of our top targets are available for us at that time. Our top targets are probably more likely to succeed than our next targets.

I don't think it's particularly likely that players like Janssen or Sissoko would have been significantly better had we signed them earlier in the window. If 1-2 months under Poch in preseason has that kind of effect I think 5-6 months under Poch in the actual season should have a similar effect and these players should have shown a solid improvement after 5-6 months at the club. An improvement that I don't think has been present.

Finally the most important thing remains signing players that are right for us long term. Early or late in the window a player that works out for us is a lot better than a player that doesn't. Signing players early is good, but it should never mean moving down our list of potential targets. Try for a first choice, if that doesn't work move on to other targets. Even if going straight for the other targets might have meant getting someone in earlier.

Eriksen and Dembele both had fitful starts to their Spurs career. Lloris, while clearly bought as our number 1, iirc was not blooded for several games and was brought in gradually by Poch.

While it is a truism to say that the most important thing is to bring in a player that is right for us long term, I think you are underestimating the bonding and camaraderie that a good pre-season can bring. To sign a player once the squad is already largely formed and the team virtually set, makes it doubly difficult for any newcomer to settle in.

To bring in a player right at the end of the deadline, makes it really difficult for them to settle. VJ and Sissoko's form suffered throughout the entire season. Hopefully it will be better this season - although it was a real shame that Sissoko missed out on the tour to the USA as this would have been really helpful to him integrating in the team and squad. I believe the confidence of both VJ and Sissoko was undoubtedly affected by being bought so late in the last window and it continued to haunt them throughout the season.

Compare and contrast to Wanyama - and who knows what would have happened if he had been bought late and struggled to get first team action straight away with Dier continuing to play in CM with Wanyama only used as back up. Fortunately, we will never know (and he was helped too with Dembele's suspension early last season.) Who knows - GB may even have been proven correct!

From his most recent quotes, it appears that Poch agrees with me that it is important to bring in some players to "freshen things up" - his words and mine. He says it is important to bring in quality to put our first choice players under pressure and keep them on their toes. I wholeheartedly agree. But we need to do it as soon as possible if we want to see them have a really positive impact this season. We really need a good strong start to the season for a myriad of reasons.

Eriksen and Dembele both had fitful starts to their Spurs career. Lloris, while clearly bought as our number 1, iirc was not blooded for several games and was brought in gradually by Poch.

While it is a truism to say that the most important thing is to bring in a player that is right for us long term, I think you are underestimating the bonding and camaraderie that a good pre-season can bring. To sign a player once the squad is already largely formed and the team virtually set, makes it doubly difficult for any newcomer to settle in.

To bring in a player right at the end of the deadline, makes it really difficult for them to settle. VJ and Sissoko's form suffered throughout the entire season. Hopefully it will be better this season - although it was a real shame that Sissoko missed out on the tour to the USA as this would have been really helpful to him integrating in the team and squad. I believe the confidence of both VJ and Sissoko was undoubtedly affected by being bought so late in the last window and it continued to haunt them throughout the season.

Compare and contrast to Wanyama - and who knows what would have happened if he had been bought late and struggled to get first team action straight away with Dier continuing to play in CM with Wanyama only used as back up. Fortunately, we will never know (and he was helped too with Dembele's suspension early last season.) Who knows - GB may even have been proven correct!

From his most recent quotes, it appears that Poch agrees with me that it is important to bring in some players to "freshen things up" - his words and mine. He says it is important to bring in quality to put our first choice players under pressure and keep them on their toes. I wholeheartedly agree. But we need to do it as soon as possible if we want to see them have a really positive impact this season. We really need a good strong start to the season for a myriad of reasons.

I'm not doubting that there is a benefit to signing players early. Just suggesting some reasons why signing early might not always be the best option. And some alternative explanations to why players signed early seemed to do better (your description).

I think we all agree that we need to bring in a couple players. That's not really up for discussion from where I'm sitting. If the reasoning Pochettino gives in a press conference is the true reason for that is another question I suppose.

I'm not seeing much from Pochettino indicating that he thinks signing players early is crucial.

A good stary to the season is important. And up to the players that were already here last season. I'm delighted we're not having to trust new signings for that.

Seeing the list of names in the links of Transfer Rumour section that we are connected with.....who are these peolple lol.....more like the first round of Wimbledon!!

Seeing the list of names in the links of Transfer Rumour section that we are connected with.....who are these peolple lol.....more like the first round of Wimbledon!!

I don't think we'll sign any one on the first page (other than maybe Lopez). Our real target(s) will first emerge about the day before we sign them, like with Son

Kovacic - not leaving Madrid
Kelechi Iheanacho - going to Leicester
Jeremy Toljan - probably Bayern
Juan Foyth - somewhere like a bottom half French side
Thomas Lemar - not leaving Monaco
Ross Barkley - Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Paulo Pez - us
Riyad Mahrez - Arsenal
Moussa Dembele - Marseille

etc.

Janssen was bought on 12 July. As the window for non-PL transfers opens 1 July, I'd say that was an early rather than late signing. And he didn't even have the Euros to contend with.
Obviously the earlier we can get a player (the right player) in, the better. But it's just not always possible. Janssen may have been lacking in confidence last season, but it can't be put down to being a late addition to the squad.

I wonder also if Poch's stated preference for versatile players who can play more than one position is also adding to the complexities of the process? eg A good RB needs to at least be able to play RWB as well (but to be able to cover CB or LB would be useful); a DM who is comfortable at CB (or vice versa); or a CM who can play AM - if we are looking for these types of players, then fishing in an already limited pool is made all the more challenging.

Back