• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Because we didn't watch a decade of Defoe not being able to play as a lone forward?

Don't remember Defoe ever playing on his own up front except for the first half of the 12/13 season where he actually did quite well. The rest of the time he was always partnered with Adebayor, Crouch, Berbatov, Mido, Keane, Kanoute etc.

Not sure he'd be the answer though and I certainly don't expect Sunderland to sell their most potent goal threat in the middle of a relegation scrap, nor us to match his £90k per week wages though.

Certainly I think the "Gudjohnsen" signing will be hugely important for us if we can get it right. I wonder if we could tempt Demba Ba to come back from China? Or...a more controversial one...how about Robin Van Persie? Last I heard he hadn't settled in too well in Turkey, how's he getting on now? Definitely past his best, but I'd love to see the look on Wenger's face if he scored against them in the NLD

Demba ba maybe but RVP wouldnt come to sit on our bench and he is on stupid money for that matter Ba probably is as well.

He's looking to be a great gamble by Stoke, despite his injury history.. A very clever, intricate player. Reminds me of a more effective/consistent Kranjcar.

Stoke City could lose Spain forward Bojan Krkic for £10m in the January transfer window. The 25-year-old former Barcelona player has a buyout clause in his contract that leaves him open to interested parties. (Sunday Mirror)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bojan-krkic-transfer-stampede-expected-7106972

Gl85q.gif

£10m as a competition option for Kane and with a decent EPL experience - i'd go for it

Gutter Boy said that Sandro Ramirez was taller and sturdier than he appears from publicly available information on the Internet - if so, great. But no way is Bojan anything above 5'8, or possessed of a frame that can be called anything but 'wiry': if we're looking for cover for Kane, Bojan's certainly not our man.

Gutter Boy said that Sandro Ramirez was taller and sturdier than he appears from publicly available information on the Internet - if so, great. But no way is Bojan anything above 5'8, or possessed of a frame that can be called anything but 'wiry': if we're looking for cover for Kane, Bojan's certainly not our man.
Does the cover have to be like for like though or rather someone who can play up front on their own albeit different from Kane?

Does the cover have to be like for like though or rather someone who can play up front on their own albeit different from Kane?

Well, I'd wager it would be someone who can if necessary play like Kane does to an extent, but otherwise possesses facets to their game that allows for them to be played on different positions to maximise rotation.

Bojan's a great little player, but, having looked him up, he's actually even shorter than I imagined (quick search puts him at a shade over 5'6): he may be able to play as a false nine/wing forward and completely differently to Kane, allowing for rotation, but there's no way we'd be able to play the same way we currently do if Kane's out and Bojan is our other option.Balls up top wouldn't stick, we'd rely much more on ground passes and balls into space (as opposed to letting Kane bring it down and look for options from the long pass)....it would necessitate a big change in the way we play, which sort of defeats the purpose of bringing in cover for Kane, really.

With Son and Clinton we already have someone that can offer something different from Kane.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At that price Bojan looks like a great value signing to me. Still only 25 and brought up by Barca he shouldn't have too many problems fitting into our pressing style.

Definitely more of a wide/AM option than a striker option as far as I can tell though. Not really a position where we're all that short on options at the moment. Would have to take someone a bit special for us to spend money in that position I would have thought. Bojan looks like he might just be good enough though. Not sure.

Don't remember Defoe ever playing on his own up front except for the first half of the 12/13 season where he actually did quite well. The rest of the time he was always partnered with Adebayor, Crouch, Berbatov, Mido, Keane, Kanoute etc.

Not sure he'd be the answer though and I certainly don't expect Sunderland to sell their most potent goal threat in the middle of a relegation scrap, nor us to match his £90k per week wages though.

Certainly I think the "Gudjohnsen" signing will be hugely important for us if we can get it right. I wonder if we could tempt Demba Ba to come back from China? Or...a more controversial one...how about Robin Van Persie? Last I heard he hadn't settled in too well in Turkey, how's he getting on now? Definitely past his best, but I'd love to see the look on Wenger's face if he scored against them in the NLD

Defoe definitely wasn't a good lone striker the way Kane is.

I would be very happy with a "Gudjohnsen signing" if we can get it right. The problem is I don't actually see a good fit anywhere... Van Persie? Demba Ba? Nope... Not for me.

Yep, he would be more of a replacement for Eriksen than Kane I would think. He certainly is having a good season though.

Well, I'd wager it would be someone who can if necessary play like Kane does to an extent, but otherwise possesses facets to their game that allows for them to be played on different positions to maximise rotation.

Bojan's a great little player, but, having looked him up, he's actually even shorter than I imagined (quick search puts him at a shade over 5'6): he may be able to play as a false nine/wing forward and completely differently to Kane, allowing for rotation, but there's no way we'd be able to play the same way we currently do if Kane's out and Bojan is our other option.Balls up top wouldn't stick, we'd rely much more on ground passes and balls into space (as opposed to letting Kane bring it down and look for options from the long pass)....it would necessitate a big change in the way we play, which sort of defeats the purpose of bringing in cover for Kane, really.
I think that is why we were interested in Berahino in the Summer (and I'd be surprised if we're not still interested in him). He is primarily a number 9, but can also play 7, 10 and 11. While Berahino isn't as powerful as Kane is, like Kane he does like to drop deep to receive the ball, peels out to the channels, finds goalscoring positions in the box, is a decent dribbler and is able to get quick shots away with both feet like Kane is. What we would lose in terms of physical power we would gain in terms of a bit of added pace.

I think signing Berahino would give us the following options:

Note that I have used number 4 as holding midfield position and 8 as box to box.

Player ____ Primary Position___ Other Positions
Kane _____ 9 __________________ 10
Lamela ___ 7 __________________ 10, 11.
Eriksen ___ 10 ________________ 11, 7
Alli _______ 10 _________________ 8
Son ______ 10 _________________ 7, 9, 11
N'Jie _____ 11 __________________ 7, 9
Chadli ___ 11 __________________10, 7
Dembele _ 8 _________________ 10, 4
Mason ___ 8 __________________ 10
Bentaleb _ 4 __________________ 8
Dier ______ 4 __________________ 6, 2
Carrol ____ 8 _________________ 10
Berahino _ 9 _________________ 10, 7, 11

I have left Onomah and Pritchard out of this as I don't think that we have quite seen enough of them in the first team yet to judge the positions they can cover. I have also left off Townsend as it seems he isn't part of Pochettino's plans at all.

Back