• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

This whole FFP could be really interesting with the Spanish clubs as Real and Barca have taken themselves to the brink a couple of times in recent years. Surely they are going to have to start coming back to the world of reality soon?

http://www.nusport.nl/eredivisie/2806423/spurs-en-ajax-miljoenen-elkaar.html

According to this dutch site, We were negotiating with Ajax yesterday, but didn't reach an agreement. Apparently there is still a gap of a few millions (euros I would assume) between what Ajax demand and what we want to pay.
Vertonghen himself says that he really doesn't want to miss out on Champions League football next season, and that this will be a factor in his decision. On the other hand he also says that playing every week is the most important thing. At least this is I think he says, based on my modest knowledge of the Dutch language haha.

http://www.nusport.nl/eredivisie/2806423/spurs-en-ajax-miljoenen-elkaar.html

According to this dutch site, We were negotiating with Ajax yesterday, but didn't reach an agreement. Apparently there is still a gap of a few millions (euros I would assume) between what Ajax demand and what we want to pay.
Vertonghen himself says that he really doesn't want to miss out on Champions League football next season, and that this will be a factor in his decision. On the other hand he also says that playing every week is the most important thing. At least this is I think he says, based on my modest knowledge of the Dutch language haha.

This was inevitable I'm afraid. Whilst I'm a big fan of Levy, I said a day or so ago that despite vertonghan clearly wanting to come to Spurs and us wanting him, you could see negotiations lasting into August as Levy tries to haggle the price down and then ultimately he goes somewhere else as Ajax/the player give up with us. I hope I'm wrong but I would be surprised if this is done before pre-season training.....

discounting PSG,Malaga,The Russians/far east etc (as personally i don't think they're quite in the league of City and Chelsea just yet)

id say

Inter, AC, Juventus
R.Madrid, Barca, A.Madrid
Bayern,Dortmund
Chelsea,Manchester C, Manchester U, Liverpool

will be the only clubs that would guarantee more money than we will be paying new signings next season, possibly - then there is probably a tier below these clubs where our wage structure will most likely lay

point is there is only so many players these clubs can sign, i think people go a little over board with the whole "he's gonna be getting 150k p/w we have no chance" - out of those clubs very few will be paying 150k to new signings this summer

Last edited:
I don't think it's accurate looking at average wages. Who knows what bonuses are in place or how much a team pays a player to sign on?

... We also have to factor in the higher tax paid in this country compared to elsewhere.

no way of knowing that

all of the sky four, plus city.

bayern munich

real

barca

malaga

about 4 russian teams now

clubs in china

at least one middle eastern team

inter

ac

juve

psg

am sure more teams as well

Add Roma who got bought by a sugar daddy and therein lies the problem with trying to get the Llorente types. Not saying that we sholdnt try but in parallel we need to be pursuing others

possibly, but they do have the pool system and wage caps. or they did until recently at least. I think alot of beckham's contract was through advertising deals as opposed to basic.

i could be wrong of course!

if this is true then i take it back. its very possibly that part of the salary is down to merchandise sales / adevrtising etc...i just keep seeing the 250,000,000 million dollar contract headline and think how can he be on 100K plus

but the wage cap i think is still in place in most american sports, i would asume its presen in 'soccer'...

I don't think it's accurate looking at average wages. Who knows what bonuses are in place or how much a team pays a player to sign on?

... We also have to factor in the higher tax paid in this country compared to elsewhere.

Those figures are before tax. Spain now taxes footballers similar to the UK

If you can find a better source - by all means. Simply offers some persepctive, that is all

Wages to me, are just something we have very little insight into. Even the papers are guessing.

I just remember the time Robbie Keane's wages were leaked and it was very different to what any of us or the papers thought.

surely when the clubs announce their end of year accounts we'd have a pretty accurate figure of the wages they pay ?

Says quite a bit really even if it's 60% accurate. Depends what you want to use the information for

General comparison of league/club stature or detailed audit?

I just don't think it can be used to work out an individual's pay packet and therefore - how much we are willing to offer a new signing.

I dont think we were ready to pay the full price for Hazard. We were trying to include players like Dos Santos and Bassong and the deal. Not going to work.

if this is true then i take it back. its very possibly that part of the salary is down to merchandise sales / adevrtising etc...i just keep seeing the 250,000,000 million dollar contract headline and think how can he be on 100K plus

but the wage cap i think is still in place in most american sports, i would asume its presen in 'soccer'...

MLS teams are allowed three "designated" players as far as I'm aware that can break the wage cap. However, the majority of Beckhams money came from sponsorship and image rights.

In fact, look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule

I just don't think it can be used to work out an individual's pay packet and therefore - how much we are willing to offer a new signing.

It was never used for that - simply a comparison of our club to theirs and their relative expenditure wage-wise. Our average is more than double that whereby logic suggests a an offer improving their current terms wouldn't exactly be an outlandish suggestion

the idea being to avoid the collapse of the MLS being repeated. Im certainly no expert on this subject but I think Cantona is at NY Red Bull and LA Galaxy play at the Home Depot Arena ( worst stadium name deal ever ), so they have a very different model over in the US. the MLS got totally out of hand so after USA 94 they relaunched the league with very strict rules on transfers and wages - you couldnt 'sign' players, you had to trade etc.

Back