• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Bolleaux

If they accept £3m or £4m yes indeed, but definitely no more than £5m

I wouldn't take him on a free. Not even if West Brom paid his wages. He's still unfit and overweight. We don't need to waste our time on someone who might become a decent backup with a bit of work.

I wouldn't take him on a free. Not even if West Brom paid his wages. He's still unfit and overweight. We don't need to waste our time on someone who might become a decent backup with a bit of work.
Really? For that money he well worth a gamble and we could whip him into shape and flip him on for a profit if need be. The expectation level would be quite low and just maybe he could turn into a good player!!

Really? For that money he well worth a gamble and we could whip him into shape and flip him on for a profit if need be. The expectation level would be quite low and just maybe he could turn into a good player!!
Giving him game time to develop that could otherwise have been given to someone else could be a huge opportunity cost. Developing a player to flip them is not how we get better.

If he's actually good enough and talented enough then fine. But if not the cost doesn't even really matter. Go for someone with that talent.

Giving him game time to develop that could otherwise have been given to someone else could be a huge opportunity cost. Developing a player to flip them is not how we get better.

If he's actually good enough and talented enough then fine. But if not the cost doesn't even really matter. Go for someone with that talent.
The flip them on comment was meant as a fallback option, not as the primary reason for buying Berahino. And who is to say it won't work out well anyway? Janssen is hardly pulling up trees.
My point is that it is a low'ish risk move with little downside if we choose to pursue it. And Levy can flip Peace the bird once the deal is concluded. That has to be worth a few mil.

The flip them on comment was meant as a fallback option, not as the primary reason for buying Berahino. And who is to say it won't work out well anyway? Janssen is hardly pulling up trees.
My point is that it is a low'ish risk move with little downside if we choose to pursue it. And Levy can flip Peace the bird once the deal is concluded. That has to be worth a few mil.

It still comes down to the likelihood of actual success. The fallback option thing is secondary at best, close to irrelevant at worst.

The downside as I said is clear as day if he doesn't succeed, fallback option our not that means we wasted an opportunity top have Poch work his magic with another talent. That it's much more important than a small financial saving.

I think Levy is pragmatic in these matters.

It still comes down to the likelihood of actual success. The fallback option thing is secondary at best, close to irrelevant at worst.

The downside as I said is clear as day if he doesn't succeed, fallback option our not that means we wasted an opportunity top have Poch work his magic with another talent. That it's much more important than a small financial saving.

I think Levy is pragmatic in these matters.
We were willing to spend 20mil on him not that long ago and the financial saving may be looked at as getting a good PL striker for a small outlay. He won't get near the team unless he is ready and shows it in training, so it's not like we are going to throw him into the starting eleven and let him work on his fitness that way. If you are saying we should move our sights to a different, better target then fair enough but sometimes a bargain is a bargain.

We were willing to spend 20mil on him not that long ago and the financial saving may be looked at as getting a good PL striker for a small outlay. He won't get near the team unless he is ready and shows it in training, so it's not like we are going to throw him into the starting eleven and let him work on his fitness that way. If you are saying we should move our sights to a different, better target then fair enough but sometimes a bargain is a bargain.

This. There's little to no downside to a move like this, if it can be done cheaply - we already have another backup striker to Kane in Janssen (who can be called upon if we feel Berahino's slacking in training or in his attitude), it isn't as if Berahino has some massive reputation that he can use as leverage when negotiating for wages (especially given the year he's had), and the upside of potentially getting a committed player determined to make the best of his second chance is pretty significant. Plus, it makes us look good to other targets we may have; they may be more inclined to kick up a stink at their clubs when we come calling, because they know we won't give up on them that easily even if the move doesn't come off and they're punished for their desire to leave - as evidenced by Berahino.

And if he flops, pfft - 5 million is almost nothing these days, and we can make that back on just his 'English' premium alone, to say nothing of his relative youth and Levy's adroitness at extracting unreasonably large fees for our unwanted players.

Mixed messages coming out of West Brom re berahino, he is apparently no where near fit but they are offering him a new contract he is not likely to sign. What an absolute mess. I agree with the posts from @DubaiSpur and @Rorschach re: why he is still worth a punt.

Mixed messages coming out of West Brom re berahino, he is apparently no where near fit but they are offering him a new contract he is not likely to sign. What an absolute mess. I agree with the posts from @DubaiSpur and @Rorschach re: why he is still worth a punt.

They have to offer him a contract equal to or better than his current one to get compensation for him in the summer.

If we want to sign him on a 'free' in the summer, no idea if we want him, then we should offer £5m now or less. As if it goes to a tribunal and West Brom say they offered us £20M 2 years ago therefore we want X we can at least say that's what we thought he was worth then but in January we offered you Y as that's how much we now think he's worth.

They have to offer him a contract equal to or better than his current one to get compensation for him in the summer.

If we want to sign him on a 'free' in the summer, no idea if we want him, then we should offer £5m now or less. As if it goes to a tribunal and West Brom say they offered us £20M 2 years ago therefore we want X we can at least say that's what we thought he was worth then but in January we offered you Y as that's how much we now think he's worth.

Or he just takes the Fryers route - goes to Standard Liege or somewhere for six months (thus voiding the compensation fee) and then mysteriously turns up at Spurs come January 2018. :p Only problem with that is that he's already spent too much of his early career not starting in the top-flight - it's not an insurmountable disadvantage by any means, but he really needs to start playing somewhere in the league at some point pretty soon if he wants to recover any of the lustre he had when he first burst onto the scene. That might preclude the 'send him to Belgium' option.

Sure. But signing anyone with the view to them becoming important for us surely means giving them a go in the team. And not everyone who gets that ends up making it at the club.

If Janssen is deemed not good enough come the summer and we sell him for £12m that's a £5m net loss, that has some consequence to us as a club. Us not signing that potential other player that would have been a success for years to come is much more consequential.

A bargain is a bargain. But we're not that short on cash and there are many potential targets. I'm not even convinced Berahino is a better striker than Son who is already at the club and just a year older than Berahino and currently our third choice striker.

Sure. But signing anyone with the view to them becoming important for us surely means giving them a go in the team. And not everyone who gets that ends up making it at the club.

If Janssen is deemed not good enough come the summer and we sell him for £12m that's a £5m net loss, that has some consequence to us as a club. Us not signing that potential other player that would have been a success for years to come is much more consequential.

A bargain is a bargain. But we're not that short on cash and there are many potential targets. I'm not even convinced Berahino is a better striker than Son who is already at the club and just a year older than Berahino and currently our third choice striker.

You sounds like my wife when she´s coming home with a new dress. She didn't need it, it cost a fairly good amount of money, but it was on sale.

I'd get Berahino in now, give him the second half of the season to get back to fitness with a view to having Janssen and he as our backups to Kane next season - that'd give us good contrasting options for the forward positions and in games like last night the option to play a striker off of Janssen which I feel would get the best out him.

I don't feel there's any real risk with this signing unless we have a prospect knocking on the first team door in attack (which I don't believe is the case) potentially we'd be getting a 20m+ signing for a pittance

Back