• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer fred.

Maybe City, Chelsea and others will help progress the Saudi league with decent players to the point it starts to compete with Europe. That would certainly be in the county's interests. Philippe Auclair was talking about how he believes the Saudi league will eventually compete with Europe and isn't another US or China thing. Not sure I agree but it was interesting to here about.

It’ll be interesting to see how broadcasters and sponsors square that with reports like the human rights abuses that hit the news this morning about Saudi killing asylum seekers.

Maybe City, Chelsea and others will help progress the Saudi league with decent players to the point it starts to compete with Europe. That would certainly be in the county's interests. Philippe Auclair was talking about how he believes the Saudi league will eventually compete with Europe and isn't another US or China thing. Not sure I agree but it was interesting to here about.

Why would anyone want to see that? Rather than organic evolutions of leagues with traditions and fanbases?

It's no different to Elon Musk setting up a league based on the moon and paying some mercenaries to play Tycho Crater FC versus Copernicus Crater FC

Do you mean he doesn't have anything to his game beyond scoring or that he does his job and scores plenty?

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
He scores plenty
He reminds me of Defoe
It’s a lazy but easy comparison to make
He shoots on sight
Plays off the left sometimes and cuts in
And he doesn’t wait to shoot
What he isn’t, is a hold up man. But he turns around players and plays in the shoulder really well
This would be a huge step up… but that’s football

Why would anyone want to see that? Rather than organic evolutions of leagues with traditions and fanbases?

It's no different to Elon Musk setting up a league based on the moon and paying some mercenaries to play Tycho Crater FC versus Copernicus Crater FC

Same reason people watch German, Italian and French football on TV.

I just don't see the global appeal of watching a bunch of washed up players and some of an age but not ability. You might get some hardcore football fans tune in and some interest from the start, just can't see people sticking it out, especially with no allegiance

I just don't see the global appeal of watching a bunch of washed up players and some of an age but not ability. You might get some hardcore football fans tune in and some interest from the start, just can't see people sticking it out, especially with no allegiance
Will be kids tuning in to short clips of matches via YouTube wouldn’t it? Like how youngsters seem to follow players rather than clubs (Ronaldo, Mbappe, Neymar, etc).

It's a bit like something Channel 4 would have tried one year in the 90s - broadcasting veterans' tours games. The kind of thing that sounds great in a TV Exec brainstorming session, but turns out to get less ratings than when they showed Kabaddi.

In the sense that they are still based in the local regions of Kensington, Anfield and Salford, where they've always been - yes.

As much as in the sense that the majority of their fanbase doesn't live in that community or area. Lots of people want to be associated with success and fame.

As much as in the sense that the majority of their fanbase doesn't live in that community or area. Lots of people want to be associated with success and fame.

By the same token it took Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc 10s of years to grow their fanbase, home and abroad. I could not name more than 2 Saudi teams without looking it up let alone speak of the glory glory nights associated with the league.

By the same token it took Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc 10s of years to grow their fanbase, home and abroad. I could not name more than 2 Saudi teams without looking it up let alone speak of the glory glory nights associated with the league.

Football didn't first establish there till late 70s, so they hardly have their double team myths.

Don't get me wrong, it would be brilliant if this was bottom-up, like you do get in parts of Africa and Asia. But this is pure money laundering and sports washing, with no native population buy-in/agency.

Football didn't first establish there till late 70s, so they hardly have their double team myths.

Don't get me wrong, it would be brilliant if this was bottom-up, like you do get in parts of Africa and Asia. But this is pure money laundering and sports washing, with no native population buy-in/agency.
I have been told (by a high up at a PL club who have fended off several offers for their players over the last two months) that this summer's activity is very much the opening salvo; the Saudis are using the current signings to legitimise the league before making bids for the big, young stars in the next few years. The aim is to become one of the top five global leagues asap (I believe this has been widely reported).
As some other posters are saying, if the global audience can watch them online, the only thing stopping this taking off is players' reluctance to play in that environment, for made up clubs while legitimising that regime. Err.....

I have been told (by a high up at a PL club who have fended off several offers for their players over the last two months) that this summer's activity is very much the opening salvo; the Saudis are using the current signings to legitimise the league before making bids for the big, young stars in the next few years. The aim is to become one of the top five global leagues asap (I believe this has been widely reported).
As some other posters are saying, if the global audience can watch them online, the only thing stopping this taking off is players' reluctance to play in that environment, for made up clubs while legitimising that regime. Err.....

I would love it, all these great players who kiss the badge and fool the gullible they love the club would be off like a shot if the money is right, all the talk of community is rubbish, that ship sailed years ago, how many teams in PL or even championship have local lads playing for them? It's just an extension of the global game that everyone had the hots for, now it might effect our football it's not right, same things been happening to African players for years. It's all part of the plan of drawing all the major sport to Arabia.

Back