• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Vs Arsenal Player ratings.

fudging excellent from the boys today - after them pulling it back to 2-1 i thought there was only one way it was going to go but they proved me wrong, big performance in the second half and a thoroughly deserved victory

Defoe was top draw when he came on

Last edited:
Who gives a fudge if we were outpassed? Arsenal outpass most teams, its how they play. Ferguson didn't give a fudge when he allowed them the ball over and over again only to pull their pants down over and over again and take 6 points a season from them.

Same with Real and Barcelona over the past week. 65% possession for Barcelona a few days ago, 2 shots on target. Big whoop.

Aside from the goal and the Ramsey shot, did Arsenal actually do much?

This in a fudging nut shell!!

Firstly the possession stats are nowhere near as one sided as people seem to be making out and secondly on clear cut chances we were leading about 6-2 so what's the problem?

If this is what a spurs board is like after that performance then the gooners must be slitting wrists on their's!

Lloris 8 solid as ever nothing could be done about the goal
Walker 8 thought he was excellent in positioning all night
Vertonghen 9 MOM vital tackles and superb distribution
BAE 7.5 kept walnut in check very good
Dawson 8.5 was everywhere in the form of his life
Lennon 8 took his goal well drifted out of match at times but always looked a threat
Parker 8 his best match in ages especially in second half
Dembele 7 was quiet going forward but solid none the less
Bale 8 another fine goal should have had another but he can't score them all
Siggy 7.5 was somewhat wasteful in the box but thought he was classy on the ball starting to see some form
Adebayor 4 he was poor dont remember him doing anything useful

Defoe 7 impressive cameo did more in terms of hold up and goal threat then ade has in last two weeks

Parker gave the vall away too often, and in unfortunate positions to warrant a high rating. Played well, but was somewhat offset by his mistakes.
Unlike Lloris, Vert and Dawson.
Bale and Sig, and to lesser degree Walker and Dembele all on the positive side of the ledger, too.

Lloris - 8

Walker - 7
Dawson - 7
Verts - 8
BAE - 6

Parker - 5
Dembele - 7
Lennon - 7.5
Bale - 8

Sig - 7
Ade - 5

I think AVB is, like me, a 'safety first' sort of person - the priority is to cut off their final ball and keep them from crafting chances, then look to control possession, and then go forward when possible. So we spend a lot of energy winning the ball, the problem is that we can't really keep up that sprinting tempo once actually on the ball so in possession we either look fast and sloppy or slow and static; which is why it's important to press and win it in high positions to cause a scramble closer to their goal (if that makes any sense, sorry :lol:).

I am sure that AVB's preferred vision of the game is to control midfield, if you look at his Porto side and the interviews he has made before about how much he prioritizes ball circulation (not possession per se, but how quickly and intelligently it is used in possession). The issue is that we don't have the players to one-touch recycle the ball both rapidly and precisely - so being a pragmatist, AVB has decided to focus on our strengths in defense and "crack" player up front. We only really need that one critical final pass (not even a pass - just some space for Bale to sight goal is enough), we don't need to orchestrate the tempo and weave patterns through them time and time again. OTOH, it's risky when it's so finely margined - while Arse didn't have many clear shots on goal, we were pretty reliant on their poor final touch and Lloris's brilliant reading of the game.

I'm sure we would look more fluid and cohesive in possession if we had Arse's Wheelchair/Cazorla/Arteta triangle, or Moutinho/Modric and Willian/vdv. However, we have to make do with what we have atm, and I think AVB is doing a very good job in this regard. My concern - which I've admittedly reiterated like a chronic horse abuser - is that we will continue to buy Dempseys and various "good stats" players or flashy dribblers this summer when we are in such need for those "Continental passers" whose qualities you can't quite quantify. OTOH, we did a great job with profiling Lloris so perhaps I've being a little harsh on our scouts.

What about Holtby?
I think in the summer we will get some more continental quick, pass & move type of players.

Lloris - 7

Walker - 7
Dawson - 7.5
Verts - 8
BAE - 7

Parker - 7
Dembele - 7
Lennon - 7.5
Bale - 7.5
Sig - 7.5

Ade - 5

Defoe - 6.5

AVB - 8

Lloris 7.5 - Definelty feel confident with him in goal. Not scared to come out, makes great saves and bolsters the back 4.
Dawson 7.5 - Confident, got stuck in and didn't hoof the ball as much as he usually does. Good game for Dawson.
Vertonghen 9 - Deserved MOM and was solid and confident. He was everywhere and not scared to make the important tackle.
Ekotto 6.5 - Played well but lost position at times and I just feel less confident about him than others. He seems to always wants to try an unnecessary trick when a simple pass will do.
Lennon 7.5 - Lennon always seems to step up in games against the goons. Got into space and did well down the wing, putting a few good balls in and got the goal.
Sig 7 - An impressive player who provides a lot for the team.
Parker 6.5 - I thought he didn't do much apart from the assist. Lost the ball countles times and is our weakness in the middle. Wasn't terrible though.
Dembele 7 - I can see this guy being an important part of our squad and seems to have the abilty to be a key part of the team.
Bale 8.5 - Great finish for the goal. Seemed to be target for the goons with their double marking but Bale passed them countless times. Classy, silky player and hope he remains with us for along time.
Ade 5 - Very one dimensional, never really wins anything in the air and offered little to the team tbh.

Defoe 5 - Looked ok when he came on but needs to be less selfish and look for options rather than shoot every time. Yes he scores goals but it's a team game.
Livermore N/A

They passed and moved better in areas of the pitch that aren't dangerous and we were happy to let them. It's like Liverpool claiming they're the best team around because they have lots of possession. Doesn't matter if ultimately you don't make it count.

I feel a lot of criticism and negativity comes from the fact that we aren't playing the way some would want us to. We all know the limitations of our squad, most of all AVB, but he also knows our strengths. We have the players we have for the remainder of this season, how about we focus on the things we do well and enjoy the fact we are getting results?

they passed and moved better in areas of the pitch that aren't dangerous and we were happy to let them. It's like liverpool claiming they're the best team around because they have lots of possession. Doesn't matter if ultimately you don't make it count.

I feel a lot of criticism and negativity comes from the fact that we aren't playing the way some would want us to. We all know the limitations of our squad, most of all avb, but he also knows our strengths. we have the players we have for the remainder of this season, how about we focus on the things we do well and enjoy the fact we are getting results?

this 100%.

I'd have given him 4 if it wasn't for that

Yet again his passing was attrocious and he kept losing possesson in crucial areas. Offered very little overall, imv

Okay he made more mistakes than most which is frustrating but the way he threw himself about in the cause maybe deserves more recognition.

They passed and moved better in areas of the pitch that aren't dangerous and we were happy to let them. It's like Liverpool claiming they're the best team around because they have lots of possession. Doesn't matter if ultimately you don't make it count.

I feel a lot of criticism and negativity comes from the fact that we aren't playing the way some would want us to. We all know the limitations of our squad, most of all AVB, but he also knows our strengths. We have the players we have for the remainder of this season, how about we focus on the things we do well and enjoy the fact we are getting results?

It seems as if avb has molded us into a astute defensive force, which at this time, i would say is our key strength. We seem to forget that we still don't have the players to match the continental style of pass and move that the top 6-8 teams in the league are progressively moving towards. I believe that he's somewhat managed to transition the team into an italianesque type set up, which is paying dividends as we actually seem versed in soaking up pressure and hitting teams on the break. The problem lies when we have to break down stubborn teams who are set up to purely defend their own half. That's when the limitations of team become exposed as we have no through ball type player who can play a defence splitting pass nor do we have a clever striker whose skilled in receiving those type of passes in tight areas

It seems as if avb has molded us into a astute defensive force, which at this time, i would say is our key strength. We seem to forget that we still don't have the players to match the continental style of pass and move that the top 6-8 teams in the league are progressively moving towards. I believe that he's somewhat managed to transition the team into an italianesque type set up, which is paying dividends as we actually seem versed in soaking up pressure and hitting teams on the break. The problem lies when we have to break down stubborn teams who are set up to purely defend their own half. That's when the limitations of team become exposed as we have no through ball type player who can play a defence splitting pass nor do we have a clever striker whose skilled in receiving those type of passes in tight areas

Exactly, many great sides start off as simply being hard to beat (basics = if you don't lose, your odds of getting something out of the game are much higher)

The trick with styles and strategies is you must take into account the players you have at your disposal, e.g. Wigan tried to play football against us once in a game that ended 9-1, the strategy might have been sound, but the personnel couldn't manage it.

We were not going to out pass the Scum with Dembele/Parker in the middle, so to some extent we didn't try to.

Yep, and what AVB has done with us this season has raised my opinion of him - its shown that unlike a lot of managers, he's not a one-trick pony and can adapt tactics to suit what he has.

Hopefully we can bring in a decent CF, a CM and a wide man over the summer and really kick on. Dont need to all be mega bucks signings - last summer showed that if you get the right players like Lloris, Vertongen and Dembele, you can bring in quality without breaking the bank

You're asking some who have been wrong about AVB all season to see what is beyond them. It's staggering. I think it can largely be seen as a personality test...glass half-full versus glass half-empty. We have a manager who deal with both realities and the moment, who doesn't throw money at every single problem which arises and who doesn't dwell on injuries. Obviously I agree with every single word you wrote.

p.s. People need to remember that if Bale hadn't missed a huge sitter and Sig hadn't bizarrely blown a massive opportunity himself, we'd have won 4-1!!!

AVB's done what I've been asking for in a manager - making whole greater than the sum of the individual parts.
Jol came close but not Redknapp who had ample talent at his disposal.

AVB's done what I've been asking for in a manager - making whole greater than the sum of the individual parts.
Jol came close but not Redknapp who had ample talent at his disposal.

WALOB. Spurs played some of their most exciting football for decades under Redknapp. Too many people with short memories and massive agendas on this forum.

Back